Nintendo Switch: What are your thoughts? (2 Viewers)

Well nintendo seems to just make the hardware with their own games in mind. I guess it doesn't matter to them what the hardware is b/c they are confident people will buy it up in droves just to play the newest mario or zelda, no questions asked. I guess kind of like apple with their iphones.

I think they'll probably be ambivalent to 3rd party devs once again. I don't know why they became so dismissive in that regard but there has to be more than just zelda and mario after people beat those.

The more I've read about it the less impressed I am by the hardware. It is weak. It can theoretically do 900p in tv mode, but it apparently drops frames doing so. It was recommended that the best method of playing that zelda was in portable mode, b/c it plays at a lower resolution and doesn't drop frames. Maybe this is b/c they rushed the game and it isn't optimized. I feel this was probably originally just going to be a wii u game, then they pushed the switch launch out early. In screenshot comparisons theres hardly any difference between the wii u version and the switch.

I bought my wife the switch and upgraded my XBone for a XBoneS.

Couple of things:

Switch

The best I can describe it, would be to a Nintendo DS that you can dock and make more powerful (graphics wise).

I like the cartridge gameplay that sets it apart from the bigger consoles in that you put card in and play. You have to store saved data on the console, but It's a lot better than the 30+ minutes I had to spend setting up Fallout on the new Xbox just to start playing it.

Graphics wise, making the decision to go with more cell animations mixed with 1080p graphics was a great idea. Makes it look very smooth.

The ability to un-dock it and continue playing while I fire up my Xbox helps :mwink:.

Also the ability to take both sides of the remote off and use for mulit-player and allowing you to connect several systems together (need a game to utilize this), are all great concepts.

Ultimately: I don't think it quite justifies the price tag, but it's a nice system and Zelda looks and plays amazing.

I just got my Switch today. I'm in the middle of Horizon Zero Dawn so I have intention of picking up Zelda just yet, but the Switch was available so I went for it. My initial impression was that the system is physically small, almost astonishingly so. It was incredibly simple and easy to set up and plug into the TV. I have an expansion memory card but picked up Zelda on cartridge for fun. It was satisfying to insert the game, which may seem silly but speaks to the inherent charm of the physical aspect of the system.

My wife decided to start a game of Zelda and she's been playing all afternoon. So far so good. I've watched a bit and at some point tonight I may kick her off the big screen so I can pick up my game, which is already a nice feature. I have a feeling she is going to be using this thing in bed and at work quite a bit.

The graphics are not technically amazing by any stretch, but the design of this game is noticeably beautiful. The sound and music seem to be deliberately quiet and subtle, which is a nice departure from current game design. It's actually calming to listen to the crickets and wind in the living room while I type this. This is definitely designed by Nintendo, but it's definitely modern. I'm excited to have my turn at the game.

Ergonomically, there's nothing offensive that I've sensed in the controllers, though I haven't spent a lot of time with them. However, the joy con grip that comes with the system doesn't charge the joy cons. This isn't a huge problem as the battery life is apparently pretty good, but you will be forced to remove them from the grip and attach them to the system to charge. I think my solution will be to buy the pro controller and more or less leave the joy cons on the system until we are playing multiplayer.

I'm not insulted by the price. Considering the size of the unit, the capability and sleek design is pretty awesome. This isn't a powerful console like a PS4, but it isn't designed to be. It's 1/5 the size and is a legit mobile gaming system. To that end, Nintendo did us a favor and made the charging connect a USB C connector. I already have a few lying around since my phone uses that connector. And apparently a stout phone charger is all that's needed to keep the system going when on the go.

All in all, I'm impressed and I'm happy to have bought the system. I didn't have much vision for its unique features and strongly considered downloading Zelda on the Wii U instead of buying a new system. I've got a feeling the Switch is going to be very successful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom