Nintendo Switch: What are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This console is almost completely different than anything on the market. It's essentially a tablet that you can play on by yourself, but the kicker is you can remove the controllers from the side and hook it into your tv to play seamlessly on a bigger screen and put the controllers together to form a regular x-box style controller.

You can also take both controllers off, give one controller "half" to a friend and play multiplayer. Looks like the graphics are pretty great for such a cheap device--it comes in at $300.

The first look for the device is kind of cheesy, but cool in a geeky way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

What are your thoughts?

As someone who hasn't been a regular gamer since my late teen years when the original xbox came out, I'm actually pretty excited for this. The price is really attractive, and the graphics look top notch coming from a tablet. It will be interesting to see how the graphics scale up to a TV.

Also, is it just me or do people not game as much as they use to? Maybe i'm just getting older and don't notice it like was with the N64/Original Playstation/Dreamcast craze when I was a kid

$300? Ps4/Xbox one isn't far off from $300. If it's anything like the other Nintendo systems, it will be fairly limited compared to Sony/Microsoft. Then of course you get into PC gaming, at that point, forget about the consoles lol.

Im not a console gamer but design-wise I think it's brilliant. Other than that it's going up against PS and XB. Besides the Zelda game coming with it what other differentiating factors are there? Or is it not supposed to go up against PS and XB and it's just supposed to be a tablet/console bridge thing?

Im not a console gamer but design-wise I think it's brilliant. Other than that it's going up against PS and XB. Besides the Zelda game coming with it what other differentiating factors are there? Or is it not supposed to go up against PS and XB and it's just supposed to be a tablet/console bridge thing?

I think they were saying exactly what you are hinting at...That it is kind of in a sector of its own in terms of the modular components, but overall in a class like the PSP. It isn't going head to head with XBox 1's and PS4's of the world but kind of filling that portability, old school nintendo "fun" without complicated specs and mind spinning configurations/options/apps of a lot of new consoles.

It isn't very fancy, but it's super portable and configures to almost every environment.
It seems like a good marketing plan thus far, mainly aimed at sort of an old school social gaming sesh with your friends physically there vs. online.

We'll see how it holds up over time in real world use.

$300? Ps4/Xbox one isn't far off from $300. If it's anything like the other Nintendo systems, it will be fairly limited compared to Sony/Microsoft. Then of course you get into PC gaming, at that point, forget about the consoles lol.

Seems like tablet-style gaming never really took off. I suppose that is the niche Nintendo is trying to pursue. It definitely isn't going to change the gaming world or anything, but it might be a nice addition to the casual gamer's arsenal.

Seems like tablet-style gaming never really took off. I suppose that is the niche Nintendo is trying to pursue. It definitely isn't going to change the gaming world or anything, but it might be a nice addition to the casual gamer's arsenal.
What's a casual gamer? Is there a noncasual gamer?

I might begrudgingly buy this because I have been waiting for Zelda for years. I bought the WiiU expecting it to come out any time. That was 3 years ago. The Wii U is a nice system but the lack of support made it a flop. But after all the waiting, I want the best version of the game. This is exactly like the GameCube where Twilight Princess was released on GameCube and Wii at the same time.

Also, my wife can't pass up a new Mario game.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What's a casual gamer? Is there a noncasual gamer?

Haha, point taken. Casual probably wasn't the right description. I suppose I meant it's definitely not competing with the top of the line consoles like XBOX, Playstation etc so maybe the most dedicated of gamers in that sect wouldn't be overly interested. With 720p res, limited supply of games, no apps or extra fluff features, it's pretty bare bones. But in a sense, it's kind of neat in a nostalgic way.

I might begrudgingly buy this because I have been waiting for Zelda for years. I bought the WiiU expecting it to come out any time. That was 3 years ago. The Wii U is a nice system but the lack of support made it a flop. But after all the waiting, I want the best version of the game. This is exactly like the GameCube where Twilight Princess was released on GameCube and Wii at the same time.

The new Zelda game looks insane. I was watching a special demo'ing (is that a word) the Switch and a representative for Nintendo said that anywhere you can see on the horizon, you can go.

Haha, point taken. Casual probably wasn't the right description. I suppose I meant it's definitely not competing with the top of the line consoles like XBOX, Playstation etc so maybe the most dedicated of gamers in that sect wouldn't be overly interested. With 720p res, limited supply of games, no apps or extra fluff features, it's pretty bare bones. But in a sense, it's kind of neat in a nostalgic way.

The new Zelda game looks insane. I was watching a special demo'ing (is that a word) the Switch and a representative for Nintendo said that anywhere you can see on the horizon, you can go.

Fwiw, it is said to run Zelda at 900p on a big screen while docked. The tablet part is 720, though I don't think a higher resolution does much on the smaller screen. And the system is capable of 1080p depending on the game. It's more powerful than the WiiU and that displays many games at 1080p 60fps.

It's certainly a different type of system than the ps4 or xbone though. And that is probably a good thing. I have the ps4 so I would not consider the Xbox at all as it is completely redundant. Yet I'm considering the Nintendo because it is unique in function and content. I think that's their biggest strength. But it's a risky proposition that needs good execution. I'm not interested in another WiiU lackluster experience.

On another note, I think the casual label is a bit of a misnomer to a Nintendo system. I'm replaying twilight princess right now and I'm at 40 hours of gameplay. Is that casual? Well to me it is since I think of all gaming as a casual fun thing. Are Nintendo owners less 'dedicated' to their games? I don't think so. My 6 year old nephew might have a thing or two to say about that with his Wii and 3ds. I think those are interesting cultural discriptors that remind me of the old Super Nintendo vs Genesis games. If you wanted to be 'hard core' and play the real versions of games you had to buy a Genesis. Etc. Etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It's cool! But...meh...I would use it if someone gave it to me for Christmas, but I wouldn't buy it.Lmao.

A. I never liked the concept of the WII U b/c of that lame, gimmicky tablet/controller thing

B. the graphics were weak

C. Nintendo has proven they have no idea how to implement online play/multiplay gaming

Basically the switch is doubling-down on the thing I hated the most about the WII U, has weak graphics (maybe on par with something that came out 5 years ago, but can't compete with ps4 pro and scorpio coming out in a few months) and once again is clueless about online/mulitplayer gaming (but has the audacity to charge for it).

Throw in the crazy $300 price, those $80 controllers, and it just seems like they are trying to milk their rabid fanbase for as much $$$ as they can. And I guarantee that the battery life will be terrible in tablet mode. They've already announced DLC and a season pass for Breath of the Wild.

I got one on Friday and I've been playing Zelda on and off through the weekend. It's a damn good thing they released it with Zelda because otherwise this device launch would be an abysmal failure. The game selection is just pathetic.

But Zelda was released with it and HOLY CRAP THAT GAME IS DAMN GOOD!

Beyond that, I like the concept. I really like the hardware. But, the execution here is just piss poor. Seriously, they only had nine games at launch and most of them are crap.

You can feel confident in saving your money and not buying this for a few more months.

Unless, you want Zelda because holy crap that is one damn good game...

I got one on Friday and I've been playing Zelda on and off through the weekend. It's a damn good thing they released it with Zelda because otherwise this device launch would be an abysmal failure. The game selection is just pathetic.

But Zelda was released with it and HOLY CRAP THAT GAME IS DAMN GOOD!

Beyond that, I like the concept. I really like the hardware. But, the execution here is just piss poor. Seriously, they only had nine games at launch and most of them are crap.

You can feel confident in saving your money and not buying this for a few more months.

Unless, you want Zelda because holy crap that is one damn good game...

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the Wii U and have been waiting for Zelda since I bought it a couple of years ago. We got some good MK8 and Mario 3d action out of it. And I replayed the HD version of Windwaker and just finished a pretty thorough play through of Twilight Princess. So the question for me was whether to take a chance on Nintendo and buy the switch to play what is the definitive version of BotW, or to simply get it for the Wii U. My brother works at target and grabbed the system for me today using his employee discount. If that weren't available I would have waited longer. But ultimately it came down to whether I thought the system was worth having for the inevitable Mario game and the use of it's portable mode. Ultimately it's a bit of a gamble given Nintendo's recent history. But I think Zelda alone will make it worth it. You really can't argue that Nintendo in many ways defines video gaming with the likes of Zelda and Mario. I don't want to miss out.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the Wii U and have been waiting for Zelda since I bought it a couple of years ago. We got some good MK8 and Mario 3d action out of it. And I replayed the HD version of Windwaker and just finished a pretty thorough play through of Twilight Princess. So the question for me was whether to take a chance on Nintendo and buy the switch to play what is the definitive version of BotW, or to simply get it for the Wii U. My brother works at target and grabbed the system for me today using his employee discount. If that weren't available I would have waited longer. But ultimately it came down to whether I thought the system was worth having for the inevitable Mario game and the use of it's portable mode. Ultimately it's a bit of a gamble given Nintendo's recent history. But I think Zelda alone will make it worth it. You really can't argue that Nintendo in many ways defines video gaming with the likes of Zelda and Mario. I don't want to miss out.

Yea that was kind of my thinking when I pre-ordered. I've been playing perhaps 2 hours a day after my son goes to bed. At that rate I think Zelda will last me quite a while.

Mario Kart comes out April 28. I'm hoping Carpenter is ready because that's going to be his first introduction to video gaming. :D

That said, it is VERY irritating that Mario Odyssey doesn't have a real release date yet. I'm guessing it should be here in time for Christmas.

Yea that was kind of my thinking when I pre-ordered. I've been playing perhaps 2 hours a day after my son goes to bed. At that rate I think Zelda will last me quite a while.

Mario Kart comes out April 28. I'm hoping Carpenter is ready because that's going to be his first introduction to video gaming. :D

That said, it is VERY irritating that Mario Odyssey doesn't have a real release date yet. I'm guessing it should be here in time for Christmas.

I won't likely buy Mario Kart because it's the same version as the one I already have. It's a great game though. It's excellent for all ages.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom