Nintendo Switch (1 Viewer)

I'm interested to see how powerful it is. Will the processing power be solely in the tablet part? Will it become more powerful when docked?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm interested to see how powerful it is. Will the processing power be solely in the tablet part? Will it become more powerful when docked?

It appears the dock exists solely to deliver the screen's image to the tv, although there are several USB ports on the side. Per Nintendo press release: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system." The tablet, then, seems to be the sole computing power of the unit; Nvidia is supplying the GPU and has stated that "The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards" which could mean many different things, some good ... some not-so-good.

I'm not really too concerned about the power of the thing; people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. The possibility of playing non-Nintendo major releases on a portable unit is exciting, but not the primary reason I'll buy the Switch.

It appears the dock exists solely to deliver the screen's image to the tv, although there are several USB ports on the side. Per Nintendo press release: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system." The tablet, then, seems to be the sole computing power of the unit; Nvidia is supplying the GPU and has stated that "The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards" which could mean many different things, some good ... some not-so-good.

I'm not really too concerned about the power of the thing; people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. The possibility of playing non-Nintendo major releases on a portable unit is exciting, but not the primary reason I'll buy the Switch.
Thanks for the clarification. So it's basically a tablet. I think Nintendo has the opportunity to sell some units, mostly as a replacement console and handheld to its existing 3ds market. It also combines development effort on that front which is clever. As an aging gamer, however, I'm a bit bummed. I guess I had hoped that Nintendo would finally come out with a system that would wow me for its technological prowess. I loved the Wii experience. But I was left feeling completely ripped off on the U. I have like 2 games for the thing. And now this? I'm unimpressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Until Nintendo releases more information about the innards of the Switch, it is hard to tell what kind of performance it is capable of. I, too, would like to have seen a technological powerhouse that exceeded the performance of the Xbox One/PS4 base models and would be on par with the newest incarnations of those consoles, and it is still *possible* albeit improbable that the Switch will be that powerful. The Nvidia chip could still be a very powerful one, as Digital Trends has opined that they expect it to get somewhere between 1 and 1.5 TFLOPs, which puts it on par with the Xbox One (1.31 TFLOPs) and a bit behind the PS4 (1.84 TFLOPs). The Wii U was well under 1, fwiw, but even then first-party Nintendo titles performed very well and looked gorgeous. AAA ported titles not so much, obviously.

Point being that this console will *probably* perform at the same level as current Xbox One and PS4 specifications. That is mildly disappointing, but the trade-off for Nintendo is that costs will probably be held lower and the console will be more affordable to more people. And THAT will bring 3rd parties back in the end, right?

March 2017? Well...that was a letdown. If they would have been able to have it ready for Christmas, I might have considered one for my family. Meh.

The portability is nice. The controllers are an interesting idea. It will take some getting used to. Generally I buy consoles to play at home on the TV, but having the flexibility to take it anywhere, even in the middle of a game should be useful. Not sure how much I'd actually use it tho.

Missing the holiday season is gonna hurt them IMO.

i'm not sure why that even matters at this point

Because Mario and Zelda alone are not enough to get people to keep buying a new console every 2 years from Nintendo.

Because Mario and Zelda alone are not enough to get people to keep buying a new console every 2 years from Nintendo.

Nintendo fangirls are going to buy Nintendo's gimmicks...

nobody is buying one of those so they can play BF1 on the crapper

Nintendo fangirls are going to buy Nintendo's gimmicks...

nobody is buying one of those so they can play BF1 on the crapper

Who plays video games on the crapper? Read some reddit or saintsreport and get the business taken care of.

People can buy this because instead of packing up the PS4 to go to the beach in Florida, you can still play Skyrim ON the beach or in the beach house.

I'll probably end up buying one, but for my daughter to play Pokemon games. It looks like it's basically a replacement for the 3DS and a competitor to the iPad and other tablets, that also has the functionality to play on a big TV as a bonus. As usual, Nintendo has gone for a niche market and are using this to strengthen their hold on the handheld market. It will have it's place for Nintendo exclusives (and the bonus of a few third party titles that play at lower levels than their PS4/Bone competitors), but it won't replace a Playstation or an XBox.

I think part of this is that the Pokemon Company is now licensing Pokemon games for the iPhone/iPad/Adroid market and Nintendo has to find a way to keep the Pokemon fans and compete with the tablet and phone platforms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom