Nmandi Asomugha and Rob Ryan (1 Viewer)

Asomugha can only do one thing well, as it turns out -- side-of-the-field man coverage. He's no good in a zone, and not so good in the slot. He has a made a career of using the sideline as an extra defender.

Even two years ago, Ron Jaworksi was saying he was "very good" but not "great", and not in the same class as Revis, even though they were considered 1 and 1A before Aso joined the Eagles. And his effort and adaptability last year were less then stellar.

Given his age, his relative abilities, and what he's likely to want in salary, I don't see him in black and gold.

So, the fact that he can totally shut down 1 side of the field by himself doesn't mean anything? Who cares if he can only be an elite player on the outside? He can still shut down that side of the field, and there are only a handful of players that can do that! Just stick him on the right side, and be done with it.

If/when Aso becomes available, I think he'll take into account several things which would lead me to believe that he'd sign here for cheap: 1) He wants to win a SB since he has never won one, 2) He will remember that his best years as a CB were with Rob Ryan, 3) He is coming off a couple of down years, so he should come on the cheap, and 4) He may want to play in his home state near his family.

I live in the Philly market so i am cursed with watching Eagles games all the time. Keep him AWAY from the Black and Gold! All he's good for is jamming WRs at the line of scrimmage. Last season when the Falcons played the Eagles, i watched Julio MAN-handle him so bad and turned him into Burnt toast. I wouldn't want to watch that 2x a year on us at all
Ah well at least one who sees the same things i do

I don't know from what comes the idea that he can shut down anything. Qbs were feasting on him last year

So, the fact that he can totally shut down 1 side of the field by himself doesn't mean anything? Who cares if he can only be an elite player on the outside? He can still shut down that side of the field, and there are only a handful of players that can do that! Just stick him on the right side, and be done with it.

If/when Aso becomes available, I think he'll take into account several things which would lead me to believe that he'd sign here for cheap: 1) He wants to win a SB since he has never won one, 2) He will remember that his best years as a CB were with Rob Ryan, 3) He is coming off a couple of down years, so he should come on the cheap, and 4) He may want to play in his home state near his family.

I've lived in Philly since 1992. I've had to watch a ton of Eagles games the last 20 years, including the last two.

First, I was lucky enough to spend about a half-hour with Jaworski at some random business lunch in November 2011, and that analysis comes straight from him. And that was two seasons ago.

Heading into 2013, based just on what we saw last year when he WAS in man coverage, I'm not sure Asomugha still has elite, top-end shutdown man cover skills. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (whom I would also not want to overpay) was the better all-around player last year, when you saw them both on the field together. Finally, Aso will be 32 years old by training camp -- there aren't a heck of a lot of 32 year old CBs in the league, much less those that you'd give a multi-year contract or a deal extension.

We've got some salary cap concerns, and Asomugha is likely going to demand at least top-end starter money. These are the kinds of players that re-loading teams like the Pats and Ravens are trying to shed, not sign. From what I've seen the last two years, I don't think this guy is a difference-maker any more. Whatever he achieved with Ryan was years ago.

Maybe he'll magically revive with a change of scenery. But this is the modern, salary cap NFL, and nobody bets big on old any more. It's time to move on.

Dont take it personal, but no way he "comes on the cheap". Neither will Ed Reed or Spencer or any of these guys. If we make the right offer they will play for us, if not they will sign somewhere else. Who was the last player in the NFL that has signed a team-friendly contract? Colston is one, and even he didnt come cheap, but could've gotten more elsewhere, i think. Drew took every cent he could've gotten, but he earned it.

In a dream scenario, MAYBE this would be something that would work out, but money is just not in our favor. You're talking about a lot of people that have to be accounted for this offseason. I honestly think improving the Front 7 is the priority here. I don't think this defense is bad by any means. With Ryan, who knows what talent will emerge at playing up a level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom