No Cap after '09? (1 Viewer)

fwaokda

Okay I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't seen anything recently after glancing across the front page. So sorry in advance if I missed something. On to my question...

Why would the league or teams want to get rid of salary caps? I don't understand. I figure if this were to happen then there would become few teams with all the talent and it would ruin the game. Additionally, what is the likely hood of this happening? Finally, would it be good for the Saints organization?

Thanks

Okay I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't seen anything recently after glancing across the front page. So sorry in advance if I missed something. On to my question...

Why would the league or teams want to get rid of salary caps? I don't understand. I figure if this were to happen then there would become few teams with all the talent and it would ruin the game. Additionally, what is the likely hood of this happening? Finally, would it be good for the Saints organization?

Thanks

Seems like a time table to make sure negotiations get done before the cap expires. I'm sure there are a few teams like the Cowboys and Redskins who would love to have a "luxury tax" style cap, but it would certainly ruin the finely tuned competitive balance the NFL has developed.

We would average about 3 wins a season if that were the case. Someone call the Billy Jo's

Then what is the reason behind the push for this? Who is pushing this? (NFL, certain teams?)

The cap and the draft are what keeps the NFL from developing into something similar to the Premiership in soccer (EPL?), where there are four teams, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, who always seem to be around the top. It becomes a cycle because those 4 have the richest owners and can afford to make mulitple big signings every year (something the cap hampers in the NFL), which then means more shirt sales and tickets sales, which leads to more money for them.
They all have massive fan bases worldwide which make it very hard for teams in small markets (such as New Orleans) to compete with.
The cap and draft make this league unique and I don't want it to ever change.

This was agree upon in the last collective bargaining agreement. If you look back at the one before this you will see that 2007 was SCHEDULED to be a non-cap year as well, but they renegotiated so it didn't happen. This is the reason Jerry Jones said the owners were more than likely going to opt out of the contract next year. I don't think anybody wants this in particular, but it was something they all agreed to.

What happens to the franchise tag? The average salary of the top 5 players will certainly increase with no cap thus those players would more than likely not be re-signed by their team.

doing away with the cap does not make any sense to me but there must be something in it for all teams because I doubt the majority of the owners would be for it if it was going to hurt them. There must be some other concessions from the players uniion they are tieing into it.

not to mention the tickets prices would shoot up drasticly to cover the much higher payroll.

We were closer to an uncapped year in 2006-07 then we are now. This keeps happening because of the CBA. In 2006 most were certain 2007 would be uncapped.

Noone is pushing for this and they'll get it worked out. The league nor players really want an uncapped sport.

Turns NFL into baseball basically, the rich teams like Cowboys, Redskins, Atlanta, and other Loose pocket teams into Yankee's of NFL and Saints would not fair well in this what so ever, it'll cripple small market teams.

the NFL is trying to ruin itself. this is ludicrous, obscene, and all out stupid. :no: competitive balance is what got the NFL to where it is today. why mess with a system thats not broken?:idunno:

this could be the end of the NFL's reign as the #1 sport in America.

the thought of this sickens me!

:throwup:

This brings up an interesting question: Where exactly would these "big market" teams be getting all this extra money from? By far, the biggest piece of each team's income pie is the tv money.The league does not allow each team to negotiate it's own tv contract or set up it's own local tv network (ala YES, SNY, etc in baseball), so the tv pie still gets split 32 ways. As far as merchandise is concerned, the NFL Properties money is split 32 ways also. The only money the owners actually keep is stadium money (tickets, suites, concessions, parking). That and money out of their own pockets. Can anyone think of anything else? I'm not sure if that would really make our budget very much different to Dallas or New York's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom