No Coincidence - Top Defenses Still in the Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Total yards per game allowed (regular season)

1. Steelers - 237.2
2. Ravens - 261.2
3. Eagles - 274.3

19. Arizona - 331.5

I don't see us making any major splashes in FA this year. Since we prefer to build through the draft, I'm in favor of no draft picks for offense other than a possible late round RB.

Defense!!!! (clap clap, clap clap clap) Defense!!!! (clap, clap, clap clap clap) Defense!!!! (clap, clap, clap clap clap)

I noticed that too. The Cards are the anomaly but their D sure hasn't played like it's 19th ranking. Of the top five Offenses only the Cards (5th) made the playoffs. I'm not saying it can't be done (Colts, Rams) but it sure seems to easier to succeed in the postseason with a dominant Defense. Hopefully the new DC will improve the team's achilles heal....

Furthermore:
If you want to drive home the point even harder....Three of the four teams are blitz heavy....
And the Cardinals have a secondary loaded with guys who can play the ball at every position in the secondary...

Interesting......very interesting........

Hopefully Sean is watching......and thinking.....and learning.

1. Steelers - 237.2
2. Ravens - 261.2
3. Eagles - 274.3

19. Arizona - 331.5

I don't see us making any major splashes in FA this year. Since we prefer to build through the draft, I'm in favor of no draft picks for offense other than a possible late round RB.

Defense!!!! (clap clap, clap clap clap) Defense!!!! (clap, clap, clap clap clap) Defense!!!! (clap, clap, clap clap clap)
I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't realize those teams were the top 3 D's in the NFL.

Didn't we roll up 600 yards of offense on the steelers just 2 years ago?

Didn't we roll up 600 yards of offense on the steelers just 2 years ago?
We can move the ball on anybody in the league, say what you will about Payton's balance (or lack of), he gets the ball down the field. We just need to stop the other guys. We're in no need of a top 5 defense, but top 15 should not be out of the question.

1. Steelers - 237.2
2. Ravens - 261.2
3. Eagles - 274.3

19. Arizona - 331.5

:plus-un2:

Offense sells tickets, generates highlight reels but can't win championships unless paired with a better than average defense.

I hope Payton understands this.

last fumble sealed the fate. wasnt it copper fumbling on like the 10 yard line in the last 2 mins when we were only down by 7 and could have tied it with a TD?

It wasn't the 10 yard line, but yes that happened.

Copper's receiving was a major reason we were in the game though. He made a circus catch for a TD and had close too 100 yards.

last fumble sealed the fate. wasnt it copper fumbling on like the 10 yard line in the last 2 mins when we were only down by 7 and could have tied it with a TD?

Yeah, Copper fumbled as we were driving down the field. I doubt they would have stopped us had he not fumbled.

keep in mind that 2006 steelers defense was only .4 points better in scoring defense than the saints defense. around 11-12ish giving up 19.7 ppg. this year they are giving up 13.9 ppg.

:plus-un2:

Offense sells tickets, generates highlight reels but can't win championships unless paired with a better than average defense.

I hope Payton understands this.

yeah but watching the way the Cardinals have played the last 2 weeks, who really wants to face that Offense?

yeah but watching the way the Cardinals have played the last 2 weeks, who really wants to face that Offense?

If Delhomme doesn't fumble and throw 5 picks, that was still going to be a close game.

We'll see what happens here if AZ beats Philly and and has to face PITT or BAL.

Will be interesting because it will be just the kind of matchup we speculate about (wide open offense vs. great defense), with the exception that AZ's defense is not completely awful.

They were whaty 19th on the season in yards surrendered , but generated a lot of turnovers, which is very important. And the their defense has played better as the season progressed...

anyone one of those teams should be able to handle the cardinals.I really think yesterday was a fluke win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom