No Compensatory picks again? (1 Viewer)

Not a surprise. Shocked at what Cleveland got. Outside of Mack, did they really lose players that were that valuable?

I think compensatory picks are one of the worst things in the NFL. If the team lose a free agent they already gain something. They gain cap space. Why give something more?

This system angers me every year

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think compensatory picks are one of the worst things in the NFL. If the team lose a free agent they already gain something. They gain cap space. Why give something more?

Agree completely. Losing a FA is almost always a business decision by the original team. They have the first option to sign the player and chose not to. Why should they be rewarded with additional draft picks simply because they made a business/financial decision? NE has played the game for years. There were 11 3rd round picks added this year. That is nuts. The effect of all the picks is to add a full round to the draft. They should get rid of the compensatory picks and just add an 8th round.

Agree completely. Losing a FA is almost always a business decision by the original team. They have the first option to sign the player and chose not to. Why should they be rewarded with additional draft picks simply because they made a business/financial decision? NE has played the game for years. There were 11 3rd round picks added this year. That is nuts. The effect of all the picks is to add a full round to the draft. They should get rid of the compensatory picks and just add an 8th round.

IMO it's a mechanism put in place by the owners to encourage less spending. Lose a player and replace them with a low cost draft pick.

We could lose 30 players to FA's and still not get a pick. I get that the players you sign basically cancel it out depending on the money you sign them for (I think)

But it seems like its the same teams every year regardless of what happens.

Of course All of this could be in my imagination.

We could lose 30 players to FA's and still not get a pick. I get that the players you sign basically cancel it out depending on the money you sign them for (I think)

But it seems like its the same teams every year regardless of what happens.

Of course All of this could be in my imagination.

False.

Our issue is we just don't know how to play the comp game or we choose not to.

If you want comp picks, just sign players who were cut, or their contracts voided or trade for players. Stop signing so many "traditional" UFAs whose contracts have expired.

This system is so scientific; it is up to each specific team if they want to partake in its benefits. The reason why it seems like the same teams get them is because those teams choose to do what I laid out above while also allowing many of their own players to walk. I wouldn't be surprised if there are teams that lay out their entire off-season plan with the comp pick formula in mind.

It's like free draft picks. Some teams are just playing chess while others are playing checkers.

EDIT: Here is the best resource for seeing why we don't get picks and why others do. It's a year by year, team by team breakdown:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Yep - we are terrible and using this system.

The Patriots get a pick every year by gaming it. They picked up Michael Floyd this year for peanuts and will probably get one for him next year.

False.

If you want comp picks, just sign players who were cut, or their contracts voided or trade for players. Stop signing so many "traditional" UFAs whose contracts have expired.

This system is so scientific; it is up to each specific team if they want to partake in its benefits. The reason why it seems like the same teams get them is because those teams choose to do what I laid out above while also allowing many of their own players to walk. I wouldn't be surprised if there are teams that lay out their entire off-season plan with the comp pick formula in mind.

It's like free draft picks. Some teams are just playing chess while others are playing checkers.

Yep, it's a philosophical decision by the front office and the Saints just don't play this game. Which is ironic, in that the supplemental picks were devised with the thought that they would benefit small market teams (like the Saints) that would surely lose free agents to more attractive big market teams. But that not at all how it's turned out, where you have a few teams that really work the system (New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh in particular).

The key, as Saintaholic points out, is to allow contracts to expire instead of cutting or trading players, and then not to sign anyone who is coming off an expired contract until after June, when they no longer are counted in the compensatory pick formula. Until then just sign players who were released from their last team. The Saints don't have the discipline for this.

False.

EDIT: Here is the best resource for seeing why we don't get picks and why others do. It's a year by year, team by team breakdown:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Good info man.... Didn't quite get how the system was ran.

We just dont operate in the compensatory pick system guys. Like it or not we usually sign players to long contracts and just cut them before the end. It's that simple

It's the same teams every year because they play the compensatory pick game better than others. The ravens use to be great at it.

Take the panthers for example, MOST people thought it was dumb to let Norman go for nothing but what if teams weren't offering anything higher than a 4th because they knew he'd be a free agent in a year. So then you assume that he gets the massive deal that he did, then all of a sudden you're guaranteed a 3rd round pick that you weren't getting before.

And now since you can trade compensatory picks it gives you the ammo to package them and move up in the second or even late first. It's all how you work the system

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom