No Compensatory picks again? (1 Viewer)

It's the same teams every year because they play the compensatory pick game better than others. The ravens use to be great at it.

Take the panthers for example, MOST people thought it was dumb to let Norman go for nothing but what if teams weren't offering anything higher than a 4th because they knew he'd be a free agent in a year. So then you assume that he gets the massive deal that he did, then all of a sudden you're guaranteed a 3rd round pick that you weren't getting before.

And now since you can trade compensatory picks it gives you the ammo to package them and move up in the second or even late first. It's all how you work the system

so, you're saying we need to give someone a cam jordan or armstead, so we can get an extra 3rd rounder... that may not equate to anything.
:9: see how long your team stays at top doing that.

so, you're saying we need to give someone a cam jordan or armstead, so we can get an extra 3rd rounder... that may not equate to anything.
:9: see how long your team stays at top doing that.
I was mainly referring to the ones that claimed the same teams always get the picks, which the Seahawks, patriots, and ravens get alot of. But they get them because they use the picks to their advantage.

No not at all, you sign your talent if both sides are happy with the deal. But you don't cripple yourself to a bad contract either. Everyone can't do what the patriots do but they move on from players a year before they have too.

All I'm saying is there's ways to make the system work for you. And getting an extra 3rd rounder is better than trading a guy for a fourth.

We always sign 2 to 3 players right b4 the season,,Kruger and Moore last year I believe

Many have said on this board the second the Saints play the game and are due several comp picks the NFL will change the rules.

That said(in jest) we really have never worked the system like others have.

We always sign 2 to 3 players right b4 the season,,Kruger and Moore last year I believe

Signing a FA just before the season starts has no effect on the compensatory system. Until just a year or 2 ago anyone signed after June first didn't count and now I believe the cut off date is May 5th. The reason the Saints don't get comp picks is that they tend to sign as many FA early in the off season as they lose.

An outline for success:

Draft well, develop your draftees and UDFAs alike during their rookie contracts so that they deserve to be extended... but don't extend them all.

Choose wisely which of your players you extend and let the others walk as UFAs... so that they can be signed by another team to a lucrative contract... so you can accummulate multiple highly-coveted compensatory picks.

Rinse and start afresh the following year.

We would get comp picks if we produced more talent. Who on our current team would warrant comp picks if we lost them?

-Brees
-Ingram
-Cooks
-Thomas
-Armstead
-Unger
-Jordan
-Rankins
-Vaccaro
-MAYBE Fairley

Of those names on the list only Fairley may leave this year. Next year Vaccaro's contracts up. After that you have Cooks the following year. I'm pretty sure that we'll resign at least one of the three, and we will probably pick up at least three marquee signing over the next three years. If we have more than one good player per season hitting free agency, we would get more comp picks.

Marques Colston, La'roi Glover, and Aaron Brooks were all Compensatory picks, and played well for the Saints.

Brooks wasn't a comp pick for the Saints. He was a 4th round comp pick for the Packers who traded him to the Saints the following year.

We would get comp picks if we produced more talent. Who on our current team would warrant comp picks if we lost them?

-Brees
-Ingram
-Cooks
-Thomas
-Armstead
-Unger
-Jordan
-Rankins
-Vaccaro
-MAYBE Fairley

Of those names on the list only Fairley may leave this year. Next year Vaccaro's contracts up. After that you have Cooks the following year. I'm pretty sure that we'll resign at least one of the three, and we will probably pick up at least three marquee signing over the next three years. If we have more than one good player per season hitting free agency, we would get more comp picks.

Not sure Fairley will count towards the Comp system. It is supposed to be for losing a player whose contract expired. His contract voided so the league may not count him.

Not sure Fairley will count towards the Comp system. It is supposed to be for losing a player whose contract expired. His contract voided so the league may not count him.

That's a good point. I'm not sure he would even qualify for a comp pick...further reinforcing that Saints rarely have a good player that leaves. The last was Nicks and that was years ago.

That's a good point. I'm not sure he would even qualify for a comp pick...further reinforcing that Saints rarely have a good player that leaves. The last was Nicks and that was years ago.

Voided contracts count, per https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team);

Obviously, if my interpretation of the above is off, call me on it :)

Leads into my point, mostly made by several already, that if Fairley does have a strong market and we avoid overpaying to retain him, we start to accrue some compensatory capital. But of course if we spend more on incoming free agents who count towards the same calculation, that reduces our chances.

Teams don't have to voluntarily 'let' great players go, but one system that tends to work is to draft a player to replace a pending free agent as he enters his final contract season. The rookie gets his feet under him in year one, the team gets to see if he's ready to step up and fill in (or upgrade) that position, which then gives the team flexibility in how they approach contract negotiations.

If you're even sharper, you Belichick it and figure out whether you can get more in a trade than you would in compensatory picks the year prior to their contract ending, because you have already coached up their replacement.

I usually say 'draft, retain and develop talent', but you could alter that to 'draft, selectively retain but always develop more talent'

Brooks wasn't a comp pick for the Saints. He was a 4th round comp pick for the Packers who traded him to the Saints the following year.

Laroi Glover was also drafted by the Raiders and cut before we signed him.

In relation to this past season, if we take care of our business (and win games that we are supposed to-ST gaffes), then we are sitting on a winning season, and in the playoffs. Compensatory picks wouldn't be a topic of discussion that much. Just win the games you are supposed to and everything will fall in line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom