No corner worth #10 pick (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Now I realize that this is a critical position of need for the Saints but I just can't justify this high of a pick for a cornerback this year. It seems that the two up and comers that you hear the most about lately are Cromartie and McKelvin. Well, to me, these two are very suspect as far as the level of competition these two have played against in their college careers and I really don't see how either one could come in and be a starter from Day 1.
Jenkins and Talib both have character issues which we have strayed from and I'm not so sure either are worth the pick if there weren't any off the field issues.

Now, I think we can all agree that if available Dorsey or Ellis is the way to go with the #10 pick but it is a stretch to expect one to fall so far to us. I'm not in favor of moving up but wouldn't mind moving down but that is so hard to project.

So, what to do? Linebacker would seem to be the most immediate need and possibly our best chance at value @ the #10 selection. I would say WR Jackson might be an option but I just don't see Payton burning another 1st round selection at the position......though I do think Meacham has a great chance to succeed for us next season.

In browsing around draft sites only one linebacker seems to be consistently in the top 15 selections and that is Keith Rivers from USC. I think he could come in and start immediately for this team at the Mike linebacker position regardless of what happens in FA. He along with Fujita and Shanle/FA/draftee would improve the defense by adding a playmaker in the middle and replacing a completely inept Mark Simoneaux who should have never been in the starting lineup last season.

After selecting Rivers in Round 1 then I think you should still be able to select a potential nickel/starter at the cornerback position in round 2 with players such as Patrick Lee, Brandon Flowers, Antoine Cason. I do believe that in this day and age of medical technology and players ability to recover quickly that McKenzie will be back in the starting lineup opening day and between Usama Young, Jason David, Craft and draftees/possibly FA's that another starter should emerge.

Gotta say I wouldn't mind us going back to back LB'ers in the first 2 rounds if Lofton available but I would be surprised to see them do it.

Sorry to ramble but not finding much interest in this Pro Bowl and looking for other means of entertainment.

Last edited:
hate to say it but i really don't lixe rivers at #10. be prepared for an ofensive player at that spot, if ellis, dorsey, and gholston are gone.

The two you mention are indeed very suspect. If we go LB in the first, they will both be considered in the second.

I believe we will go for Mike Jenkins in the first.

ddd

Yeah, I rather go LB then CB in round 1 then Pat Lee in the 2nd.

Also, let's not forget about Connor who is a BEAST. If he runs a solid 40 time (4.5 or a 4.6) then he can rise up boards, and justify being picked at 10. He could play MLB or Will.

Right now it is all speculation until after the combine.

As much as I don't like it testing has a big impact on draft value espcially when you are talking LB and CB and the 40 yard dash.

I think LBs like Curtis Lofton, Ali Highsmith, Tavares Gooden could all climb into solid 1st round value when they weigh in and run.

I think that CBs like DRC if they run 4.3 [40] will be worth the 10th pick based on potential alone.

There will be a cb or 2 worth the 10 pick after the combine, and there are solid LBs in the 2nd round so it makes more sense to take a CB in round 1 and a MLB in round 2

My only fear is that the impact LBs will have good combines and be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd.

I guess if we go CB in the 1st we need to hope Highsmith or Lofton tanks their 40.

:ipuker:Rivers
Yeah the guy who led USC in tackles the past 2 years is really that bad.

Yeah, I rather go LB then CB in round 1 then Pat Lee in the 2nd.

Also, let's not forget about Connor who is a BEAST. If he runs a solid 40 time (4.5 or a 4.6) then he can rise up boards, and justify being picked at 10. He could play MLB or Will.
Just read a report he ran a sub 4.6 at a private practice facility.

I don't want rivers at all

he didn't impress me like Mr. Samoan did

didn't we have a thread like this awhile back??

i think Leodis is worth a 10 pick

I don't care as long as it is defense (LB, CB, DT) and when it comes to the linebacker position, I think its the "type" of player u bring in now "who" you bring in, he needs to provide a pass rush and side line to side line ability, Rivers can't be the only guy in the draft that has the potential to do that, but if he is.....we gotta go with him at #10 and that's who I hope we can get, we should be able to get a talented corner in the 2nd round, I mean we pick pretty high in each round and we can get out DT in the 3rd (Laws, Harrison, Auburn DT)....I think all our needs will be met in this draft, we all just gotta give our thoughts on how we "want" it to go...and even though we all do it, let's not fall inlove with specific players (easier said then done) because we don't know who our Saints are gonna pick so let's keep open minds.....and agree that thet better be in those 3 need area's on D (CB, DT, LB)

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not that fond of Rivers either.....even though Mike D. seems high on him and says we might go after him. But, where is the value @ the 10th pick if it isn't him? If Ellis, Dorsey, Jenkins and Gholston are gone then who do we take if we aren't able to trade down?

I mean people say how deep LB'er is this year in the draft but it appears to me that cornerback is just as deep or if not deep then at least not top heavy and I would almost rather have a Patrick Lee or Brandon Flowers or Antoine Cason who have played against elite competition than someone who played for Troy or Tennessee St.

Hey, as you can see by the avatar I wouldn't mind going Lofton in the first. I think he wil wind up being the best rookie LB'er but not sure they will pull the trigger that early for him.

If we come out of the first couple of rounds with:

1. Rivers/Lofton
2. Lee/Cason

I'd be happy and I think we would be on the right track. DT or TE would hopefully be soon to follow.

If we draft Eagles style, we could fix our secondary or line-backing corps in 1 year. But that won't happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom