No Man's Sky [releases 6/21/2016] (3 Viewers)

No, supposedly you can get the V2 and V3 recipes at Operations Centers after you've gone through a black hole. I'm on my way to first black hole so haven't gotten one yet. Also, V3 supposedly opens lower level stuff so you only need the one key.

any other ideas on making money??

If you blow up the platinum container tanks, that usually nets you about 1500 platinum. If you hang around for the sentinels and kill them, that'll get you several hundred titanium and generally 2-3 items that vary in worth.

No, supposedly you can get the V2 and V3 recipes at Operations Centers after you've gone through a black hole. I'm on my way to first black hole so haven't gotten one yet. Also, V3 supposedly opens lower level stuff so you only need the one key.

I've gone through 2 black holes and still haven't gotten V2. I do however get tons and tons and tons of repeat blueprints....and tons and tons of game crashes lately.

i've been farming gold and emeril...5 stacks will get around 300k....there are planets that are loaded with one or the other...

there is also a glitch i was reading about that will duplicate your inventory...if you have Atlas stones, you can definitely get a lot of money pretty quickly...might have to try it before it gets patched

i've been farming... emeril...

26_lagasse_lgl.jpg

i found a planet that was loaded with emeril...i named it Bam

BTW, annoying sounds, but crafting 25 bypass cards uses one backpack slot each of iron and plutonium and sells for just over 350k. So it's probably net faster than hunting for emeril or gold. I quit farming money after getting to 3.5 million though. I'd gotten enough crashed ships that it was going to take ilke 15-20 million to skip ahead much. I'm almost at 40 slots now.

As for the cards, it's supposedly a very rare drop, just the people posting screenshots had in common making a lot of jumps and being past the black hole spots. Two of them said that once that happened and they'd been playing a while it was just hitting a Operations Centers. I've been getting repeat blueprints for ages now, and I'm barely over 40 hours in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ve0Bpmx8Fk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Free, more interesting space exploration game made by one man.

The PC version will start seeing game changing Mods roll out that may make this game worth the effort in a few months. So far the few mods I've seen aren't game changers just yet.

Galbreath since you are the only active PC player of this game I'll be interested in which if any worth while mods you come across for this game.

On a different note, I'm curious as to which Mods will be available for the updated Skyrim on console. There are plenty of mods for that game that make it a completely different experience than Vanilla. Plus the Mods that are basically expansion packs with new areas to explore, I hope these will also be available.

On a different note, I'm curious as to which Mods will be available for the updated Skyrim on console. There are plenty of mods for that game that make it a completely different experience than Vanilla. Plus the Mods that are basically expansion packs with new areas to explore, I hope these will also be available.

I played around with some Skyrim mods on PC and it gave me a 3 month-long erection. Be careful with that game.

None of the mods that are out yet seem remotely interesting to me. Nothing wrong with them, but don't want any meme sound replacers, black backgrounds, font changes, faster buttons. I get wanting the computer voice to shut it sometimes, but the mods seem to be all or nothing and I'd rather not be into mining or exploring and not realize I'm dying because I didn't recharge my deflectors.

This was the highest rated comment on a Reddit thread about the game

"You know that you ****** up when your game gets a 6 from IGN, even though Sony paid to advertise the game on IGN's front page. Spore got a 8.8 from IGN for **** sake.
The sad thing is that even if you forget all of the lies by Hello Games and how they completely misrepresented the game and continue to do so (just look at their Steam page, it still shows the E3 videos which are nothing like the game) and even if you knew nothing about the game and expected only a relaxing space exploration/survival game, it still fails miserably.
&#8226; There are no actual solar systems. The planets don't rotate around a sun but are stationary, sitting together in a blob.
&#8226; There are no stars, they're just part of the skybox but you can't fly to them.
&#8226; The 18 quintillion planets that was so heavily marketed isn't impressive when you realize what that actually means: if you took 11 things and come up with 50 variations for each, that is close to 18 quintillion combinations. Most planets are entirely the same but with different bumps and colors, they have the same objects on them and largely the same resources. Once you've seen the first dozen planets, you've seen them all.
&#8226; There is no actual differences between the ships, except the number of inventory slots. There are no ships specializing for say speed or combat.
&#8226; You don't have a sense of scope / scale to your journey. In the galactic map you can see other stars but there's no sense of where you are in relation to the center of the universe. Likewise you don't have a way to track where you were. No mapping or history, waypoints or other ways of tracking your progress. There needs to be a way to see how you're progressing and also give some meaning to how far you've gone.
&#8226; You can't actually fly between these systems or go into say the dark space or outer asteroid belt. The only way to travel between them is to open up the map and click warp, which initiates a loading screen animation and loads up the new planets. There is no deep space. The moons don't even go around the planets. All of the various wonders of the universe (neutron stars, supernovas...etc) are entirely absent. You never actually feel like you're flying in a real universe, you feel like you're in a skybox with 3 or 4 planets that are mostly the same, then you load up a new skybox with a new set of similar planets. It's nothing like say Space Engine, where you actually do get a true sense that you're in a real universe.
&#8226; You can't even fly your ship. You can't fly low across a planet as there is an invisible boundary and you can't crash your ship. The controls are terrible, it has none of the complexity of other space flight sims.
&#8226; You can't manually land your ship, you simply press a button for it to autoland. Tons of other maneuvers (like entering a space station) are entirely autopilot.
&#8226; The asteroids which are everywhere have insane pop-in issues, they only show up like 50 meters in front of you.
&#8226; The freight ships don't move, they just sit there passively forever. They add zero gameplay depth.
&#8226; The space stations are all basically the same.
&#8226; The planets are littered with outposts, all identical and with a single NPC alien standing still and staring into the wall.
&#8226; The NPCs are entirely shallow, there is literally no point to even talking to them since they never say anything interesting and simply give you something random you likely don't need. Even the automated quest giving NPCs in Bethesda games that hand out those Radiant AI quests would be a massive improvement.
&#8226; All of the monoliths are the same, it's nothing but a chore to chase them down. The words you learn don't add any depth to your interactions with the aliens, since they never have anything interesting to say anyway.
&#8226; There are no actual biomes on each planet. Each planet is the same no matter where you land.
&#8226; The animals are build on 14 different skeleton designs, with a bunch of random animal parts scrapped on top of each section to maximize the number of permutations and there is no attempt to make the animal make any sense in it's environment or have anything unique in it's behavior. The animals have no evolutionary history and their behavior is incrediby shallow.
&#8226; There are no tall trees like were shows in E3, they're all saplings. There are no large forests, no large creatures. There are no large valleys, huge mountain peaks, no giant volcanos, all terrain is uniformly similar across planets.
&#8226; The grinding which makes up most of the game is not only boring, but frustrating due to the completely messed up inventory management.
&#8226; The interface is absolutely atrocious. It's amazing that it can be messed up this bad, the fact that we need a mod just to remove the requirement that you have to hold each click for a second speaks volumes. You need to load up a menu to do anything, and the menus are terribly designed and completely unintuitative.
&#8226; The game is a technical mess. It looks like **** yet runs with all sorts of framerate issues.
&#8226; The traveling on foot is insanely slow and tedious. There should have been a buggy or car, or at least some sort of fast jet pack like in Tribes.
&#8226; It fails as a survival game since nothing in the game leaves you threatened. Each planet is seeded with abundant resources, and the few things that do attack you are easily defeated. Compare to minecraft where there's a very definite risk / reward system to exploring a deep cave system. Nothing really threatens you in a meaningful way.
&#8226; The different minerals and resources don't really matter. Since most of the upgrades to explore the universe are yours within the first hour / two hours all the rest are kind of nice add ons.
&#8226; There's no challenge to exploring. There's very little combat and what combat there is is very boring.
&#8226; Inside a solar system there's no way to decide if a planet is interesting or not without actually visiting it. There should be some 'classification' of the planets e.g. class M, class X, etc that allows you to say a certain type of planet might be safe vs unsafe.
&#8226; All planets are accessible right from the start of the game. I was excited about the idea of acid planets, radioactive planets, cold planets ... I was thinking that in order to explore a radioactive planet you'd need to craft some special gear. There was a pretty obviously gameplay loop where the dangerous planets had better minerals / ruins / whatever but were very hard to explore. Instead every planet is basically just a copy of the others.
&#8226; The constant need to recharge things, which don't really serve a purpose. It makes the game very grindy without any positive feedback. Instead of feeling free to explore the world around me I feel annoyed that if I see something cool it means 30 seconds of tedium while I mine the abundant plutonium. I end up not landing and exploring because of how annoying it is that to take off again I have to enter a menu and recharge my ship.
&#8226; None of the aliens interact with each other or have any sort of AI other than 'walk around a bit'. There's nothing to sit and watch. An occasional ship will fly overhead but they don't do anything. You never really see a battle take place or the ships acting in any sort of interesting manner.

This is a textbook case of why hype culture is cancerous to gaming, it leads to companies looking to hype as many people into preordering then sitting back and releasing a shallow, broken game. This game is completely empty and lifeless, with nothing to do but go around looking at things you've already seen copy pasted for the millionth time."

well here are the cliff notes of that review from a Metacritic user.
maximovich's Profile - Metacritic

No multiplayer.
No mountains.
No deep caves.
No deep sea exploration.
No forests.
No customizable FOV.
No challenge.
No interesting NPC.
No story.
No ending.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom