Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Va. State Police Swap '10-4' For 'Message Understood'

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 13, 2006; Page A01

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, local governments have spent millions on high-tech radios to improve communication among police forces. Now, Virginia is taking the next step: changing the very way cops talk.

Starting this month, Virginia State Police have banned the "10 codes" used by generations of officers to flag everything from murders to bathroom breaks. Gone is the language of "10-4" and "What's your 10-20 [location]?"

The codes are as much a part of police culture as badges and coffee. But over time, individual police departments have adapted the codes in their own ways, creating confusion when they have to work together -- such as on Sept. 11.

Eager to avoid such mix-ups, Virginia's government has become one of the first in the nation to try to eliminate traditional cop talk. For months, officials in Richmond have worked with police and firefighters to come up with a substitute for 10 codes, finally deciding on a statewide "common language protocol."

In other words, English.

Police have reacted with a certain amount of 10-32 (alarm).

"My first reaction was, 'You've got to be kidding me,' " said Trooper Steve Mittendorff, 26, as he patrolled the Dulles Toll Road early this month. "How am I going to stop using something I've been using all these years?"......................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/12/AR2006111201098.html

.:_rofl: ........This whole thing is stupid- hope it doesn't catch on. Heck, I just used 10-4 to respond to an email today........

Thats funny cause somebody responded to one of my e-mails yesterday with 10-4. You don't happen to live in Tenn. do you?

Ten six-niner, ten six-niner, we've got whores in the city!

beavis.gif

yeah i hate what has been created by the federal gov. by this..
they call it plain talk.... it creates huge officer safety issues.
hey officer jones the man your out with has 4 felony warrants take him into custody and bring him down town.
officer jones did you copy
offider jones
officer jones
hq. this is jones he is beating my butt he heard what you said.

Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom