No more 5 yard facemasks (1 Viewer)

Too bad they didn't vote to get rid of the accidental touched the QB's head with a pinkie personal foul.

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.
_________

I thought this was always a fumble so I must not be understanding. so why when the ball was hiked and the qb missed it the whistle was not blown and everybody ran towards the ball?

Personally I think the NFL should try eliminating very dumb calls or rules like the Tuck Rule. that rule stinks, it really does. It is a dumb inane rule that makes sense only to make the New England Patriots the SB Champs in 2001 and even their I still think Brady's arm was going not forward and it was a fumble and Oakland got hosed big time. any body with clear half way vision could see that the ball was coming out as he was hit by Woodson. I do not know if The Pats would have become the SB champs and dynasty that they are now but that call helped out their cause tremendously to helping it get started. Meanwhile Oakland got screwed and lost their HC at the same time.

Stupid rule, and most people did not know it even existed before that game

Last edited:
Personally I think the NFL should try eliminating very dumb calls or rules like the Tuck Rule. that rule stinks, it really does. It is a dumb inane rule that makes sense only to make the New England Patriots the SB Champs in 2001 and even their I still think Brady's arm was going not forward and it was a fumble and Oakland got hosed big time. any body with clear half way vision could see that the ball was coming out as he was hit by Woodson. I do not know if The Pats would have become the SB champs and dynasty that they are now but that call helped out their cause tremendously to helping it get started. Meanwhile Oakland got screwed and lost their HC at the same time.

ummm...actually that rule makes perfect sense... if the arm is coming forward it's a pass!!!! that's simple to grasp, if that wasn't the case then every pass attempt would be considered a fumble!!!! i'm not saying i like the rule, but it's the only logical thing that makes sense..... and that has always been the rule, just was never really discussed up until that point, ARM GOING FORWARD = Pass Attempt!!!

Saintman, it was 7 years ago. Time to let it go.

I've just read the rule changes , forgotten everything that I read , and now I'm feeling nostolgic about the good times , back when I was reading all the rule changes .

well ob, let me take it a step further, do you think Brady's arm was going forward when he got hit by wood son and fumbled the ball? Its all well and good to say that maybe it was but some people contend that his arm was not in the process of going forward and that the refs could not make up their minds totally if it was or it wasn't. it other words it was a border line hit and they guessed to bluntly put it. To this day some people cannot tell for sure if it was or it wasnt

Brady's arm was not going forward. It WENT forward, then he changed his mind and was bringing it back to his body when Woodson hit him. That's the point of the tuck rule. Basically, it's saying that if the QB wants an opportunity to re-load and re-throw, there will be no consequences for losing the ball. Stupid rule.

well ob, let me take it a step further, do you think Brady's arm was going forward when he got hit by wood son and fumbled the ball? Its all well and good to say that maybe it was but some people contend that his arm was not in the process of going forward and that the refs could not make up their minds totally if it was or it wasn't. it other words it was a border line hit and they guessed to bluntly put it. To this day some people cannot tell for sure if it was or it wasnt

i never said i thought he wasn't pulling his arm back!!! to be honest, he wasn't going to throw that ball and that was a horrible call, but not a horrible rule!!

#@$@ the Patriots, they always cheat!! ur not used to it by now? just like Duke will always get every call in college basketball, USC will always be ranked higher than an undefeated team even if they lose to Doritos's State University in college football, and the Yankee's will always have 1 player worth more than most team's entire salary... every sport has that poster child that gets away with everything...it's AMERICA!

I am glad they got rid of that 5 yard face mask, or hands to the face... It always seemed ok for the offensive player to put his hands on the mask of the defensive player while stiff arming, but the defensive player just had to touch the offensive players mask and the flag comes out... good riddence.

#@$@ the Patriots, they always cheat!! ur not used to it by now? just like Duke will always get every call in college basketball, USC will always be ranked higher than an undefeated team even if they lose to Doritos's State University in college football, and the Yankee's will always have 1 player worth more than most team's entire salary... every sport has that poster child that gets away with everything...it's AMERICA!

the manning brothers disagree

I am glad they got rid of that 5 yard face mask, or hands to the face... It always seemed ok for the offensive player to put his hands on the mask of the defensive player while stiff arming, but the defensive player just had to touch the offensive players mask and the flag comes out... good riddence.

Ahhhooohhhh....I thought they were going to make all facemasks (including incidental) as 15 yarders but its really going to be where the incidental ones just won't be called. Nice.

And the tuck rule is dumb. It isn't just that an arm moving forward is considered a pass...its that an arm coming back into the body and not moving in a passing motion at all is considered a pass. Dumb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom