No power: hot or cold (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
not wishing loss of power on you,
but if you did lose power would you prefer it in August in NO or January in the North?

January north...bundle up, fireplace

Great if you have a house, but not alot of apartments come with fireplaces. I've never been in the south without power during summer, but I did lose power for a week a couple of years ago after a nasty ice storm. I suppose the upside was not having to worry about food spoilage.

North fa sho. South mississippi in August/September with no power might be one of the most miserable experiences known to man.

I live in Arizona, no power in 115 degree weather kills you......You can always bundle up and light a fire in winter.

Cold. The worst part of Hurricane Ike and Rita was the lack of A/C that followed for the next 2 weeks. In East Texas, in august/september, if you don't have A/C, you can forget about sleeping. I would much rather bundle up in a warm blanket than wake up in a pool of sweat.

cold all the way. You can always put more on or find fire somewhere. Once you get to skin, your just cooking down here. Plus you can drink to keep you warm. You do that too much here and you will dehydrate and die (or get a really bad headache and wish you would)

Cold. You can build fires. You can pile on blankets and quilts and winter clothes. I'm not romanticizing it. I know it would suck. But there's really no similar recourse for dealing with extreme heat. It's easier to warm up than it is cool down when you have no power.

I've been without power for extended periods in the middle of a brutal Louisiana summer. It miserable.

I remember after Gustav, there was a day where outside with the breeze felt cooler than inside my home.

i would try the north.

Plus you can drink to keep you warm.

No.

Alcohol for Warmth - Drinking alcohol to keep warm

Of course, you knew it couldn't be that simple. Alcohol has a reputation for warming us up on cold days because it makes us feel warmer when we drink it.
Alcohol causes blood vessels to dilate, which shifts blood flow to the surface of the skin where nerve endings respond to changes in temperature. A gallon of 99-degree blood flowing past our natural thermometers makes us feel all warm and cozy. (Anyone who's sipped hot toddies by the fire knows that feeling.)

Unfortunately, when we're skiing in snow and we take a sip of brandy to give us a warm little pick-me-up, we aren't heating anything at all. Instead, we're letting more blood flow past the surface of the skin, where the cold outside air is able to steal a little bit more heat from our core.

Thanks to the brandy, we're actually getting colder, not warmer.

Alcohol does nothing to warm us up and is a quick way to get hypothermia in a cold environment.

I get that "the warmth" is an illusion but it is an illusion that I would gladly buy into since you also want the illusion that your life does not suck so bad during those times. Give me a pile of blankets and my illusions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom