No respect for Saints offseason moves? (1 Viewer)

bigrod44

Rookie
Reaction score
I have looked at every video on N.F.L Network and ESPN, as well as bought and read Proweekly draft guide and Lindy's draft guide .All of them also say that last year's draft was a bust. I don't feel that way. We got 2 guys that provide depth on the off line. As well as a good special teams guy in Melvin Mitchell, which is more then most teams can say, and I think Meachum will be good this season if he can stay healthy. No one is saying that the Saints have made themselves a better team. N.F.L Network has them as a top 15 team but losing to the Jags in the first round, basically calling them a mediocre team.So is it because I am a diehard Saints fan that I belive they have done a great job in freeagency.I feel with the additions they are back to being in the top 10 in Defence.with our Offence this team will be one of the elite this year . What do you guys think? :bandg:

Thread title: "No respect for Saints offseason moves?"

Ok, lets take a look:

"We got 2 guys that provide depth on the off line. As well as a good special teams guy in Melvin Mitchell" Uh, OK

"I think Meachum" will be good this season if he can stay healthy. Meachum, huh? Uh, OK

" N.F.L Network has them as a top 15 team but losing to the Jags in the first round, basically calling them a mediocre team."

An NFC team losing to the AFC Jags in the first round? Well, OK

"So is it because I am a diehard Saints fan "

Yes, but there is still time to get regrouped, LOL

ddd

First of all, the Saints will never get eliminated in the first round of playoffs by the Jags! The info you are referring to was a top 16 matchup of teams like the NCAA BB Tourney.

For a team that finished in the bottom half last year there is some props given to have them considered to be in the top half this year. Until it is known the recovery of DM, the offensive line actually opening consistent holes for the running game, Reggie figuring out how to time hitting the hole, the defense actually stopping someone, it is understandable that the sportswriters are hesitant to call us a SB contender like many did for the 2007 season.

I'm sorry to say this, but the saints have always gotten little respect in the media. even over the last two years. The sints get the mediocre announcers unless their playing a primetime or monday night game. the networks don't show us respect mostly because of market share and the history of the saints but I am sick and tired of our team being counted out and ignored by sportswriters maybe i'm not reading the right writters but hell they talk more about the browns and bungles and the sucaneers than the saints and sadly the only reason we got press in 2006 was the saints winning and hurricane katrina. so atleast we have SR.com nowadays and dont have to rely on espn to tell us how we are doing

Well, I for one, am not about to start spouting off playoffs, let alone Superbowl.
Really.
We've picked up 2 injured linebackers and a pass rushing defensive end.
Oh yea, and a nickle-back defender that may or may-not start this season.
Our star defensiveback is most probably going to sit out next season, our safeties are still questionable and defensive front remains unchanged.
Hardly a flash-back to the Dome Patrol days.
On offense the O-Line (in my opinion, a major weakness) has had no upgrades. We're still waiting for Reggie to breakout and Deuce may not even be resigned. Of the receivers, only Colston is really a threat.
I'm not trying to get all negative, but I just see some big IFS right now that can go either way.

Respect is earned. Who cares what the pundits think? They have to review all 32 teams and have little knowledge, in all likelihood, of each individual team. We diehards know more than those guys about our team, and I, for one, think that the offseason moves were positives. But, as PHIL says, there are a lot of Ifs. However, I believe that Vilma will be healthy, and McCrary will improve our pass rush--especially on 3rd down. Gay adds good depth to our aging CB's.

We must complement these acquisitions with a solid defensive-oriented draft with a DT, LB, and another DB in order to solidify these moves. If not, it's only window dressing, IMO. With a solid draft, we can move into the top 1/2 in defense.

first how in the playoffs an AFC team plays NFC in the first round?!! Jag beat saints? AFC and NFC teams only meet in the Superbowl. I wish our team the best but you should know by now that you should never get too excited.

Let's just look at the past 2 years of media predictions with the Saints. They said that the Saints 2006 season would be a complete rebuild, and we would go perhaps 7-9. We ended up 10-6 and in the NFC Championship. They said that we would go 11-5 in 2007 and be a contender for the Super Bowl. We went 7-9 this time and missed the playoffs completely. Now why would you take them seriously this year when they say we will be a mediocre team and lose the first playoff game?

Of course we're better....at LBs, we have Vilma & Morgan, and there is no comparison to Simoneau, & Shanle. But this improvement won't be effective unless we have a stud DT in front of them. We don't have one, as of now. Our secondary is just as bad....Gay had surgery last year, and MMK is questionable at best. Bullocks is the great liability, and he will make any CB look terrible. On D we are not much better as of now, but we could be if we can draft well.

Huge IFs......let's see how the draft plays out....

It is too soon to say last year's draft is a bust. I think Meachem will step up big time this year. And Usama Young should get more playing time. The offseason FA moves were all about bang for the buck, presumaby to have the space to re-sign our FA's who will need big contracts. Vilma should be a difference maker. However, we still have big holes to fill at DT, CB, LB, safety. This is why I am generally against trading picks. There are guys in first and second rounds who could possibly be starters for us. Clearly, free agency did not begin to solve all of our problems. So I can understand the lack of love from the media. Let's see how the draft goes.

I for one couldn't care less. Flying under that radar is what I want. Last year proved we weren't mentally tough enough to not eat the cheese.

As for the off season moves...we are being smart so far with the pickups. Meaning we aren't overpaying one guy coming in but I still hope the draft is used to bring in some good talent on the defense. Vets coming off injuries may set us up for disapointment if they don't come back healthy. Respect? You earn that right??

once bitten, should expect that this year, this team is solid,but the people who picked the saints last year ended up with egg on the face. Its a shame because they might end up with egg on the face again. I think the saints are having the same type of offseason they had two years ago. vilma mccreary gay morgan lehr glenn etc.some very good signings being added to a pretty good group, hit in the draft like they did in 06, watch out NFC.

Mccray, my bad, anyway the dude had a pretty good season in 06 from what I've heard. smart d line pickup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom