"No Rob Ryan-led defense has ever qualified for the playoffs" (1 Viewer)

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying Im not convinced he is the answer, however, despite his clownish character, based on what he has had to work with at the two most important positions in the NFL, Im not ready to dismiss him based on the fact that he hasnt coached a "playoff " defense as a defensive coordinator. Lets take a look at his career as a D Coordinator:

2004 Oakland Head Coach: Norv Turner QB: Kerry Collins
2005 Oakland Head Coach: Norv Turner QB: Kerry Collins
2006 Oakland Head Coach: Art Shell QB: Aaron Brooks
2007 Oakland Head Coach: Lane Kiffin QB: Daunte Culpepper/Josh McCown/Jamarcus Russell
2008 Oakland. Head Coach: Lane Kiffin/Tom Cable QB: Jamarcus Russell
2009. Cleveland Head Coach: Eric Mangini QB: Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson
2010 Cleveland Head Coach: Eric Mangini QB: Colt Mc Coy/Jake Delhomme/Seneca Wallace
2011 Dallas Head Coach: Jason Garrett QB: Tony Romo
2012 Dallas Head Coach: Jason Garrett QB: Tony Romo

Two of his three stops as a defensive coordinator in the NFL consisted of working for Al Davis and Jerry Jones, which is important to point out since they both have/had significant input into player personnel and game planning. Did any of these teams improve to playoff-caliber once he left?

yea, it seems that coach is leaning this way, so we better get used to the idea of old long hair on the side lines... yell'en... spit'en... cus'en... & maybe, just maybe this somehow works & our D is better.

yea, it seems that coach is leaning this way, so we better get used to the idea of old long hair on the side lines... yell'en... spit'en... cus'en... & maybe, just maybe this somehow works & our D is better.

Well I dont see it getting any worse

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's all just a matter of the stars coming into perfect alignment.

Whatever Coach eventually decides, I'll be on board; but I don't like how polarizing this POTENTIAL hire is already. But it's not like I have any better idea.

Look at the QB's he has had backing up the defense. This isn't a defensive team. Our team's best defense has always been and always will be ball control under Sean Payton. We control the clock. We just need something decent to fill in those gaps where we aren't in possession of the ball. We need to rank around 12th-15th in Defense and we'll be ok.

We're not going to have a top 5 defense. If that's your standard, you'll always be disappointed for many years.

Look at the QB's he has had backing up the defense. This isn't a defensive team. Our team's best defense has always been and always will be ball control under Sean Payton. We control the clock. We just need something decent to fill in those gaps where we aren't in possession of the ball. We need to rank around 12th-15th in Defense and we'll be ok.

We're not going to have a top 5 defense. If that's your standard, you'll always be disappointed for many years.

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Saintsfan83, I will have to agree with you on this one. Ryan does not have to spin straw into gold. I will be happy if Ryan or anybody else can just hold a marginal team like KC to less than three touchdowns. If we have the same output from the offense (which I think could use some tweaking) as last season, a 7-9 record could have easily been 12-4 with a like you said 15th ranked or better defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Saintsfan83, I will have to agree with you on this one. Ryan does not have to spin straw into gold. I will be happy if Ryan or anybody else can just hold a marginal team like KC to less than three touchdowns. If we have the same output from the offense (which I think could use some tweaking) as last season, a 7-9 record could have easily been 12-4 with a like you said 15th ranked or better defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats all well and good, except, unless I'm mistaken, he's only had a top 15 D once. I'm not saying the TEAM won't be good, but there are plenty of better 3-4 options for coach out there, IMHO

He's had the privilege of being on teams with great offenses. A shame he can't get it done with all those long drives by those great offenses.

I hope SP check Robs track record. His defenses is garbage and it will take three seasons for our players to even learn his complex scheme. Rob Ryan is nothing more than a position coach.

A coach's track record isn't the only (or even a primary) qualification that should be considered. Didn't we learn that with Spags?

No team has ever lost their last 3 games and gone on to win the Super Bowl...

Drew Brees devastating shoulder injury may be career ending...

Darren Sharper was supposed to be washed up...

Sounds like Rob Ryan would fit in perfectly.

In an aside, no team (see Oakland/Cleveland/Dallas)
head-coached by someone vastly ill-prepared to perform head-coaching duties ( except George Seifert) has ever won a Lombardi.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom