No Tag for Bushrod (Schefter) (1 Viewer)

saintsfanfl

They call me Boudreaux
Reaction score
Not that it comes as a surprise to me. I didn't really see the Saints tagging him anyway, but Schefter is reporting that the Saints have no plans to tag Bushrod.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Saints do not plan to use their franchise tag on starting left tackle Jermon Bushrod. He will be an unrestricted free agent.

good, he's not worth the tag and will get paid too much on the open market

Bushrod is a good player, but he's not even the best free agent tackle, so it would be stupid to tag him.

not shocked at all,but i do think the Saints can sign Bushrod.He wont ask for Jake Long money,JMO

Pretty sure the plan is to let him test the market and get a feel for what he is worth on the open market before signing...I dont think other teams value him because of the dreaded "System Tackle" stigma he has...which works in our favor....how are you a "system left tackle" though?

I think the Pro Bowls have bumped up his asking price. I keep hearing the Bears will be interested. Kromer is over there now and they need OL help. I can see it.

Bushrod is a really good tackle. It will be a hard loss if it happens.

According to both PFF and Football Outsiders he was our worst starting offensive lineman last year. His poor play contributed to a decrease in efficiency for our offence as a whole. There will be far better options in free agency and the draft. We're so short on money we cannot afford to pay players more than they are worth and he will not be worth whatever his agents are seeking.

I think the Pro Bowls have bumped up his asking price. I keep hearing the Bears will be interested. Kromer is over there now and they need OL help. I can see it.

IA that the Bears will look @ Bushrod, except I think they'll wait and see what happens with Brendan Albert of the Chiefs

Bushrod is a really good tackle. It will be a hard loss if it happens.

According to both PFF and Football Outsiders he was our worst starting offensive lineman last year. His poor play contributed to a decrease in efficiency for our offence as a whole. There will be far better options in free agency and the draft. We're so short on money we cannot afford to pay players more than they are worth and he will not be worth whatever his agents are seeking.
This. Bushrod is nothing close to a good tackle imo, much less a really good tackle. He's supbar on passpro and a better run blocker than he is a pass protector, which says volumes. I don't know how much i'd pay him but it would surely be little

According to both PFF and Football Outsiders he was our worst starting offensive lineman last year. His poor play contributed to a decrease in efficiency for our offence as a whole. There will be far better options in free agency and the draft..

BUT...BUT... PROBOWL??!:no:

Let the product of the system go.
We shall replace him.
Simple as that

The NFL seriously needs to adjust the cap. The whole thing is going to implode in a few years if they don't. The owners may believe that it's going to make them money, but they are going to get crucified once a lot of teams have to start cutting or letting walk their superstars.

My idea is to allow teams to exclude the salaries of players "tagged" from their salary cap

Pretty sure the plan is to let him test the market and get a feel for what he is worth on the open market before signing...I dont think other teams value him because of the dreaded "System Tackle" stigma he has...which works in our favor....how are you a "system left tackle" though?

He is a system left tackle because he receives a tremendous amount of help from RBs and TEs when he is up against a decent pass rusher, he benefits enormously from the quick release and deceptive athleticism of his all-pro QB, he consistently plays with Pro Bowl calibre interior linemen and has a Head Coach/Playcaller who is a master of the screen game to prevent opposing defences really being able to "pin their ears back". Plus during his time with the Saints, they've often been paying with the lead in games which also restricts opposing defenses from rushing the passer as much as possible.

Not to mention, he is LT for the best offence in football which is the primary reason he's made 2 Pro Bowls.

In my opinion he had one good year and has been declining ever since to the point where last year, to quote PFF, he "played like he hated his Quarterback"! He is someone I'd like to see upgraded, now that we have the opportunity, to see us get back our ruthless best of offence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom