No takers for Briggs (1 Viewer)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there more to the story concerning no other teams picking up Briggs in FA.

More than just the money...possibly character/personality questions?

To me, if it was just the money,someone would have picked him up.

Is it just me or is there more to the story concerning no other teams picking up Briggs in FA.

More than just the money...possibly character/personality questions?

To me, if it was just the money,someone would have picked him up.

Teams were lining up last year for him. The 49ers and Redskins were practically falling over themselves.

The idea that the market for him dried up after a really good 2007 seems silly.

Either

1) There's some "personal" aspect we don't know about. Failed steroids test, dead hooker who hasn't been found yet, etc

2) Briggs put that out there to justify returning to Chicago after saying he'd "played his last down" there

Of course, the idea that Briggs would return to Chicago after saying that, not just that but then say it was because no one wanted him....I don't know. Doesn't make sense. But neither does going from hot commodity to someone no one wants to touch in the space of one good season. So who knows.

there is no way NOBODY was interested in briggs, it's just a lie set up by his agent to stand up for the fact he said he would never take another snap in chicago IMO

He wanted to be THE MAN! somewhere, and everywhere else wanted him to play outside....that is my guess!!

Maybe it's simpler......maybe he just didn't want to leave chicago. He didn't seem to be interested in meeting anyone outside of chicago.

Randy is right. If he'd wanted to leave, he could have. He didn't even visit any other teams. Now if we all agree he must have had offers, then that's comes down to one thing: he didn't want to.

Therefore the only explanation for all that "last snap" nonsense is it was an attempt by Briggs/his agent to increase the size of his contract from the Bears.

He wanted to be THE MAN! somewhere, and everywhere else wanted him to play outside....that is my guess!!

He did say that if he went someplace other than Chi. , " he wanted to be the man ".

He said that he would never take another snap in Chi., also .
Was that before he wrecked his Lamborgini ?

Anyway , " The Man " here is Vilma .

Last edited:
Well he did have the wreck where he left the scene IIRC. Doesn't make him a bad person though.

NFL Network (3 or 4am repeat), think it was Adam Schecter that the majority of the teams that wanted Briggs last year didn't have the salary cap dollars this year AND the Vilma trade cut his bargaining position with the Saints. (I think it goes back to not wanting to share the spotlight and wanting to be the boss of the LB corps. So if he was going to have to share the spotlight, he might as well stay in chicago.)

On face value, I don't think his contract what that much of a monster--but if we'd have bettered it--it might have slowed us down on locking up some of our young stars long term (Colston, Evans, Brown, Smith & re-signing Vilma), and kept us from signing Gay (and another CB), a TE, DT, WR, or maybe another good LB?

Not saying that was the whole reason or that we will even get those extra guys, but several good team players are often better than 1 star. Look at LSU's 2 & 3 star recruits vs. ND & USC's 5 star recruits last year. Who took the Crystal Ball home???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom