No wonder Congress' approval ratings are so low...no border fence (1 Viewer)

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
Immigration: Congressional Democrats, and some Republicans, gut the Secure Fence Act in the omnibus spending bill against the wishes of the American people. In a bill with 9,000 earmarks, border security takes a back seat.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 required the construction of 700 miles of border fence, modeled on the success of the border barriers in the San Diego sector of the U.S. border. The operative word is "secure."

That legislation specifically called for "two layers of reinforced fencing" and listed five specific sections of the border where it should be built. The omnibus spending bill removes the requirement for two tiers and the specific list of locations.

The two-tier fence in San Diego runs 14 miles along the border with Tijuana, Mexico. The first layer is a high steel fence, with an inner high anti-climb fence with a no-man's land in between.

It has been amazingly effective. According to a 2005 report by the Congressional Research Service, illegal alien apprehensions in the San Diego sector dropped from 202,000 in 1992 to 9,000 in 2004.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Indeed, in the Senate version is a curious amendment by Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, that was added on a voice vote. Her amendment reads:

"Nothing in this paragraph shall require the secretary of Homeland Security to install fencing, physical barriers, roads lighting, cameras and sensors in a particular location along an international border of the United States, if the secretary determines that the use or placement of such resources is not the appropriate means to achieve and maintain operational control over the international border at such location."

Hutchinson's office says the amendment merely gives DHS flexibility. What it provides, however, is an excuse to do nothing at all and a license for open-border politicians to pressure DHS.

Read More:http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/IBD-0001-21797675.htm

I dont think congress low approval ratings have much to do with a border fence. The Democrats havent had any effect on ending the war, and thats what most of the folks who voted them into office were expecting.

Despots and communists build fences.

Nothing like slapping a band aid on a gunshot wound, eh America? I have a better idea, lets treat the cause rather than the symptom.

Nothing like slapping a band aid on a gunshot wound, eh America? I have a better idea, lets treat the cause rather than the symptom.

I’m no expert on the subject, but all I hear is good things from my friends in Israel about their fence. By no means are they communist.
I’m sure if you google it you will find a lot of opinions on the matter.
I sleep well at night here in Iraq knowing there is a fence between me and the "locals"

Last edited:
so is the plight of Israel in the midst of hostile Palestinian nations around them at all analogous to what the United States faces with Mexico?

I disagree. The two aren't close to comparable.

The border fence doesn't address the larger problems facing immigration, especially those American-citizen business owners (or politicians) who provide them with the jobs they so desperately seek.

Not to mention the size of the fence we would have to build doesn't compare with what Israel built, apples and oranges.

That fence was one of the greatest pieces of pandering in the last 100 years. It will have little to know effect in return for billions of dollars but boy didn't it get everyone cheering.

I sure didn't cheer. A little bit of America died on that day. Come on America, a border fence? Seriously? We are just so much better than that.

Well, at least I live in Alaska which is kinda like Siberia was for Russia. I'll be closer to the gulags this way.

You have to put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding, and there is some massive bleeding going on at our southern border, still.

Good fences make good neighbors. Its a real simple statement, but holds a lot of meaning. You may not have a fence in your backyard, but you do have a property line, which im sure you respect with your neighbor,

Mexico does not respect our border. They do not care about the effects of offloading a gigantic proportion of their poor population unto us, heck, we got all this money, we can afford it, right? I mean, it really made a lot of sense just after 911 when our economy took a heavy punch in the gut, to allow millions to come here. With 40% of thier population being below poverty, I cant blame them for wanting to offload them, and then, in return, have their countries largest revenue generator go from oil income to money sent back to Mexico by illegals.

Its one thing to take in the poor, needy, and hurting peoples, its another thing entirely to be taken advantage of, by all parties, internal and external.

Anyway, before I side track anymore. Congresses approval ratings are what they are because they are the biggest bunch of ineffectual wastiods in suits and ties who only get things done or act that way when it suits thier careers or their party's objectives. otherwise, they can usually be found on vacation.

Mexico does not respect our border.

then neither do the people who hire them - and they are American citizens so they anger me MUCH more than the immigrants themselves

Employers are still hiring them. Maybe that's the fault of the employer? Maybe that's the fault of a poor economy that makes business owners feel the pressure to hire such cheap labor? I think it's the product of those and many other problems.

A fence doesn't fix them all.

I think it would only result in a monumental waste of money.

But in this day and age, there's not much more profitable than preying on our xenophobic fears.

I remember seeing an alarmist report on toothpaste from Canada being sold at a dollar store when I was living in Houston - "who knows what Canadians put in their toothpaste? They have different regulations" and they were working to get people to boycott this corner store because of a 69 cent tube of Crest that was made in Canada. The same tube of Crest I now brush my teeth with. And I haven't lost any yet.

There is no one solution that "fixes" the problem, no matter what side of the argument that you stand on. I fail to see how building a fence hurts though and why someone would be so dead set against it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom