NOAA announces Solar Cycle 24 is here! Communications disruptions to follow. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
gong2b.jpg

NATIONAL OCEANOGRAPHIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION
NOAA: Sunspot is Harbinger of New Solar Cycle, Increasing Risk for Electrical Systems
January 4, 2008

A new 11-year cycle of heightened solar activity, bringing with it increased risks for power grids, critical military, civilian and airline communications, GPS signals and even cell phones and ATM transactions, showed signs it was on its way late yesterday when the cycle’s first sunspot appeared in the sun’s Northern Hemisphere, NOAA scientists said.

“This sunspot is like the first robin of spring,” said solar physicist Douglas Biesecker of NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center. “In this case, it’s an early omen of solar storms that will gradually increase over the next few years.”

A sunspot is an area of highly organized magnetic activity on the surface of the sun. The new 11-year cycle, called Solar Cycle 24, is expected to build gradually, with the number of sunspots and solar storms reaching a maximum by 2011 or 2012, though devastating storms can occur at any time.

READ MORE
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080104_sunspot.html

Last edited:
great now I can use it as a reason no ones cell phone works right :D

"Sorry boss, I would have called in when I didn't come to work but, you know, Solar Cycle 24 and all..."

Hopefully Al Gore will make a neat littler power point presentation about the dangers of Solar Cycles

Sun spots are caused by man's carbon emissions. We are ruining the whole universe. See the hairspray stuff is sneaking out through the hole in the ozone, see, and traveling through a worm hole to the Sun, see, and ultimately the Sun will go supernova. We have doomed ourselves!

AL GORE REPORTS THAT WE SHOULD CUT BACK ON OUR USE OF SUNLIGHT. this conservation should help reduce the the number of sun spots.....

teh. I thought it was about a solar powered motorcycle.

Speaking of "sun spots", I have one on my arm. All this time I thought it was AT&T's fault.

For the geekier geeks, your solar forecast:

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity 07 Jan 2008
STATUS REPORT
Date Released: Monday, January 7, 2008
Source: Space Environment Center (NOAA)

IA. Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 06/2100Z to 07/2100Z: Solar activity was low. Region 980 (S06W03) produced a C1 x-ray flare today at 1527Z. The group appears to be re-emerging but is still small and simple. An eruptive event was observed near plage Region 981 (N27W17) at about 0230Z and was associated with a B1 x-ray event as well as a small CME observed by the COR2 coronagraph on the STEREO-B spacecraft.

IB. Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be very low to low for the next three days (08-10 January).

READ MORE
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom