NOLA Cox Internet - Huge Slowdowns, we are being ripped off (1 Viewer)

d3cyph3r

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is a discussion going on in the tech forum, but we need action! Cox ignores these issues.

If you guys perform a speedtest in the evening, midnight, and in the morning, you will see you are not getting what you are paying for.

I pay for 12 megabits per second, I don't even get half of that when I get home in the evenings. Has anyone else noticed these slow downs? It is time to complain. When it comes time to download saints games /highlight videos during the season this problem might be even worse.

People are trying to get the WDSU On your Side people to investigate, and WWL to investigate. Post your complaint to WDSU and WWL

Some people are even contacting the Atlanta BBB, and attorney general.

Cox has let their pipes get too congested and now everyone is suffering with horrendous speeds.

I HATE dealing with cox. Customer service is terrible. I get the feeling that they feel like we cannot do anything because they are essentially a monopoly in new orleans. I hope they crash and burn on this

I assumed it was just me. Good to know it's city wide. errr not that I like you guys to suffer too, just that we've got the whole "power in numbers" thing working now.

This issue is nothing new. Cox has touted their various "Tiers" of internet speeds for some time, with the all important fine print that NO SPEED is guaranteed. That means as long as you have service of some kind, regardless of download/upload speeds, Cox believes they are holding up their part of the deal. I've also seen numerous Cox techs quickly blame the customer's computer(s) or network equipment, even when faced with the ultimate conclusion that their service is the issue.

Sucky part is, you really don't have a choice. AT&T?? Ha. You'd be going from crappy to just as crappy. At least Cox support is still local for the most part.

Of course, it all depends where you live and how many people on your grid have the same service, but with no real competition or anything that be done, Cox will just keep raking in the money. I can attest from here in Baton Rouge that the situation isn't much better than New Orleans. They are pretty much a monopoly every way you look at it. Some claim to be competition, but in the end the consumer has little choice or options.

Weird, when I run a speed test at home I get 12Mbps which is what our tier speed is. I haven't checked it in a few weeks though but I know this weekend I was getting download speeds around 1.5MBps

Just wondering here, but are you paying for *exactly* 12mb/s or *up to* 12mb/s? I have cox out here in North San Diego and I get around 10mb/s constant except on the weekends when it goes to about 5-8. Called up, complained, and they said they only promise up to.

Which I guess makes me feel better when at 3am I can get 20mb/s supposedly

Just wondering here, but are you paying for *exactly* 12mb/s or *up to* 12mb/s? I have cox out here in North San Diego and I get around 10mb/s constant except on the weekends when it goes to about 5-8. Called up, complained, and they said they only promise up to.

Which I guess makes me feel better when at 3am I can get 20mb/s supposedly

With the nature of how cable Internet works, you won't be guaranteed a 12Mbps connection at all times considering they are shared lines.

With the nature of how cable Internet works, you won't be guaranteed a 12Mbps connection at all times considering they are shared lines.

Oh believe me I know, now. But when i lived in the valley is when I was complaining, it was horrible trying to get any decent speed over there. Since I moved to vista, it's been a lot better.

Oh believe me I know, now. But when i lived in the valley is when I was complaining, it was horrible trying to get any decent speed over there. Since I moved to vista, it's been a lot better.

Should try Windows 7 :9:

Typically my speed ranges from 10-12Mbps, I can't really say I've seen it lower than that but maybe I'm lucky with the area I'm around.

If you pay for the Premiere tier is it acceptable to get what the Preferred tier is getting as well? I am on Preferred, and some of these Premiere subscribers are getting the same slow speeds I get.

If you pay for the Premiere tier is it acceptable to get what the Preferred tier is getting as well? I am on Preferred, and some of these Premiere subscribers are getting the same slow speeds I get.

I pay for the premiere service and realize less than a 3rd of the regular service speeds during peak times. It's really irritating. Why am I paying a premium?

I'm still using windows xp. Actually found an xp cd w/orginal key in my work desk about a month ago incase I ever have to reformat LOL

Just got uverse installed in Metairie. Im getting the 12mbps im paying for. I put a review in the tech board if anyone is interested.

I have addressed this with their tech support people and they won't accept that the variations are due to them and not my system! They insist on doing all this pointless trouble shooting (i.e. inconveniencing me and making me change things that I do not wish to change) just to avoid fixing their issue.

Here is my current speed (it's nowhere near this during prime time)

FWIW, I'm much more appalled by the upload speed (or lack thereof) during prime time than I even am about the download speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom