NOLA FA Problems (1 Viewer)

Saintree River

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is becoming apparent that we have them. I didn't follow FA closely prior to Katrina, so I am not sure if that is a main factor. Also, I knew that we had a horrible reputation around the league for a long time but I thought we shedding that in recent years. What are the root causes of this problem? Is it anything that winning can't cure? We seem to be working with one arm tied behind our backs if we can't compete on the FA market. It would be one thing if we were master drafters but after last seasons draft I think we proved we are not. Here's to hoping we have a 2006-like draft.

This is becoming apparent that we have them. I didn't follow FA closely prior to Katrina, so I am not sure if that is a main factor. Also, I knew that we had a horrible reputation around the league for a long time but I thought we shedding that in recent years. What are the root causes of this problem? Is it anything that winning can't cure? We seem to be working with one arm tied behind our backs if we can't compete on the FA market. It would be one thing if we were master drafters but after last seasons draft I think we proved we are not. Here's to hoping we have a 2006-like draft.

Anyone who thinks it's not a factor is an ostrich with his head buried in the sand.

Folks can't seem to get it through their thick heads that you cannot force a free agent to sign with you, no matter how much money you offer them.

Maybe we could have nabbed Briggs if we paid him $12million per year. But it would destroy the salary structure of the team, and utlimately, it would be completely counterproductive..

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Saints have suddenly seemed so interested in trading for players. It stinks, but that may be what we have to do.

It's more than just an organizational problem. Even with our worst coaches, and the worst staff, we were able to get top-name free agents to visit. Now we can't even do that

You fill in the blanks. It's pretty obvious what the problem is.

Folks can't seem to get it through their thick heads that you cannot force a free agent to sign with you, no matter how much money you offer them.

You just furthered proved my point. My inquiry is not as to why the FO dropped the ball but why so many high caliber players would take less money to go else where.

I must have one of those thick heads, or it could be I can't fill in the blanks, but it is not obvious to me what the problem is....

More info please Shawn

Stop overreacting everyone. Of course some players may have no interest playing in New Orleans, just as others have no interest in playing somewhere cold, somewhere in the northeast and somewhere out west. If this were an issue, you'd see far more of our current players refusing to resign or demanding trades. But we haven't seen that at all. In fact, quite the opposite as just today Stecker turned down a better offer from Tampa.

I think part of the solution is going after players like Randall Gay with ties to the area...it gives a little extra incentive to sign with the Saints.

Thats not going to work for every FA....but its a start.

I think that's exaggerated. The problem, in many cases, is the Saints organization. Every now and then, we will pay big for a guy. And we will make sure we pay to keep our own players. But when it comes to making moves that might cost us, we typically do not make the move. I based that on two facts: first, if you take a look at the free agents we have brought in or attempted to bring in, they are all second or third tier guys or guys over the hill. I mean, bringing in Aaron Glenn. Are you kidding me? Secondly, I remember talking to a certain NFL starting CB a little less than a year ago. I told him that it would have been nice to see him play for the Saints since we needed secondary help. He said that at the time he was a FA, he and his agent zeroed on New Orleans because he knew the team needed a CB. He said that the Saints gave he and his agent the cold-shoulder. He signed elsewhere and has been a very bright spot on a top-tier defense. This is not the first time I have been told that. One could argue that these players are just saying that since I am a Saints fan. But in the other 3 or 4 cases where I have heard that, I did not even solicit the information. It was more like, "man, what's up with your team? I tried to get with them and they were not even trying to bring me in" or "man, New Orleans is a great city, would have been nice to be there but your team acted as though it had its own agenda."

Stop overreacting everyone. Of course some players may have no interest playing in New Orleans, just as others have no interest in playing somewhere cold, somewhere in the northeast and somewhere out west. If this were an issue, you'd see far more of our current players refusing to resign or demanding trades. But we haven't seen that at all. In fact, quite the opposite as just today Stecker turned down a better offer from Tampa.

Exactly, it seems like we have a pretty good program here now. We have players that like being here and want to stay. But why would UFA looking for a combination of $$ and a good program not come here. If this were an isolated incident then I wouldn't be "overreacting." I guess I am just looking for some incite perhaps from some of the other fans who have followed this team longer or might know why this is. It just that we have so many holes and so much space under the cap.

I don't buy into "post-Katrina" New Orleans being much of an issue at all for a multi-millionaire football player. If franchises like the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns can attract free agents but we cannot, I think it has more to do with our organization than the city itself. Maybe, as REALCHRISM pointed out, we're just not that interested in a lot of guys especially if they don't fit our price range.

I don't think it's an overreaction. I think there are a lot of people that feel that if the FO would just throw money at every free agent, the will want to come down to the bayou and play. That's an oversimplification. New Orleans isn't for everyone, no matter how much money you promise.

Of course they don't want to come here. No one wants to come to a city that was ravaged by a hurricane, and is still a long way away from being anywhere close to what it was. That's okay though, we will trade for another player or two, have a nice draft, and kick their *** next year.

Paying a Defensive Back 10 million dollars a year to play in a pressure defense when the pressure part is missing, and expecting that to solve your problems: Now that would be a 'FA Problem'

Overpaying for a weakside linebacker who plays for one of the league's better built defenses, and thus has inflated stats, who also had a sluggish year last year and may not fit your scheme: Now that would be a 'FA Problem'

Do people really want us to be like the redskins: Overpay for every big name free agent every year regardless of how they fit your team?? Do we want to be in cap hell every year? People need to chill. A true impact MLB and CB were the most important things. They may have made what will turn out to be the best move since Brees in the Vilma signing. Give Loomis credit. There's still the draft too

Lets not forget that Smith, Evans, Colston, Brown, and now Vilma all will need new contracts if justified after this season if not sooner.

Exactly, it seems like we have a pretty good program here now. We have players that like being here and want to stay. But why would UFA looking for a combination of $$ and a good program not come here. If this were an isolated incident then I wouldn't be "overreacting." I guess I am just looking for some incite perhaps from some of the other fans who have followed this team longer or might know why this is. It just that we have so many holes and so much space under the cap.

If simply overpaying every big name free agent was what it took to fill a team's holes, then the Redskins would win the Super Bowl every year. The fact a team needs to be careful with its free agent signings, and so they need to pick and choose where to make their moves. That's why I suggest not reading too much into the team's inability to sign one player, especially a player like Briggs who didn't draw much interest from anyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom