NOLA must do things ( all advice appreciated) (1 Viewer)

Reggie09MVP

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Think I’m going to bite the bullet and book NOLA (SF game and Pistons game (pelicans)). It’s pretty expensive to get to from Ireland so want to make it as worthwhile as possible. Been once before about 4 years ago (Atlanta TNF) and loved the city. Special shout out to Willie Mae’s delicious chicken.

Was hoping to get some things to do/places to eat suggestions. All advice welcome.

Go Raibh Maith Agat

Put a mattress in a pothole
Drive in the middle of Claiborne to avoid the beggars on the neutral ground drink with people from Iowa
Stay at an air BnB owned by somebody from Denver
Go to chalmette to hear a real New Orleans accent

wait no one else is going to chime in?
imma have to be serious

DDay museum
lots of swamp tours, garden district (nice big homes) or haunted tours if you like any of those

different "strips" with food/music:
Frenchman
St Claude
Freret
Oak

it will be holiday time so:
Celebration in the Oaks/City Park
Fulton Street holiday
that might be around the time of the Algiers Point bonfire (take the ferry)
and/or caroling at St Louis Cathedral

dont forget to spend some time in Slidell.

I also second the DDay.

Go to Bourbon and realize it hasn't changed one bit since neon lights were invented.

Ride the St Charles Streetcar if you want the experience (and it will probably be nice then) Get off at Audubon and stroll through the park and University area.

City Park is also very nice during the say but Christmas in the Oaks is great.

I lived a block from there for 3 years but never had it. I was always curious and I was thinking of it when I posted in a thread about how little actual traditional french food there is in this old french town.

Probably because it's not really an old French town.

It's more a Spanish, West African, Haitian, French, Italian town all under a bunch of French and Spanish names.

The "French" Quarter a prime example.

For the record, you can forget all a
Probably because it's not really an old French town.

It's more a Spanish, West African, Haitian, French, Italian town all under a bunch of French and Spanish names.

The "French" Quarter a primer example.

True enough. It's surprisingly difficult to find a real crepe or croque madame.

I lived a block from there for 3 years but never had it. I was always curious and I was thinking of it when I posted in a thread about how little actual traditional french food there is in this old french town.

Crepe Nanou
Vyonnes
Cafe Degas
Bordeaux
Couvant
N-7

And then a bunch of places that are French influenced, or with some traditional French items on their menus. I think there is plenty.

what was the place that did crepes in the FQ. It was a bunch of Drag Queens that ran it and it was actually very good. Not sure if could be "aint dere no more"

Here is my suggestions:
(some have already been mentioned but I will list them anyway)

World War II Museum- a must see.
Jackson Square- The Cabildo is right next door and it is a LA History museum that is amazing.
French Market- right down the street from Jackson square. Lots of stuff to eat/see/buy. Get a fresh praline or go to cafe du monde.
Central Grocery- go get a huge traditional Muffaletta
Riverwalk area- Just grab a drink and walk along the river.
City Park- go for a stroll and get some peace and quiet
I second what Guidomerkins said:
different "strips" with food/music:
Frenchman
St Claude
Freret
Oak

Fulton street also has a lot of new bars and restaurants that could be worth checking out.
Have a Sunday Brunch at one of the N.O. institutions. Just pick one as they are all great options. The Ruby Slipper is a cheaper quicker option. Very good with decent prices.

So much good stuff to do and so little time right??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom