Nolas NFC South preview (1 Viewer)

nolafan33

SR is my life!
Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Offense:

QB: Drew Brees, Mark Brunell, Joey Harrington
Drew Brees is the smallest starting QB in the NFL, but he more than makes up for that with his talent. He's one of the smartest QB's out there and his throwin mechanics are great. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for the athlete he is, he has the ability to escape the rush and get outside or move in the pocket using his pocket presence. He gets rid of the ball quickly and places it where only his man can get it.
RATING: 5/5

RB: Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell
Reggie Bush has great quickness and speed, he's very versatile and the Saints do a good job by lining him up everywhere on the field. Has good vision and awareness, but needs to improve his patience. At times he's too fast, at times he is too slow. Pierre Thomas has very good body control and excellent vision. When running inside he displays the necessary patience. Does a good job finding cutback lanes, and reacts quickly which leaves his stuffs at a minimum.
RATING: 4/5

TE: Jeremy Shockey, Billy Miller, Dan Campbell
Jeremy Shockey has good size and plays with a competive demeanor. He isn't a special athlete but shows good initial speed off the line of scrimmage. A good route runner who can create space on breaks and catches the ball consistently. A good run blocker who uses his size to get good position, but can get overpowered at times. Billy Miller has a good combination of size, smarts, and athleticism. He's a smart route runner who displays good hands.
RATING: 3.5/5

WR: Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem
Marques Colston is a rare blend of size, ability, and hands. He does a good job of making very hard cuts but being able to stay in the route, giving him the chance to get open. Does show great playbreaking ability but shows great body control and can attack the middle of the field because of his size and aggressiveness. Lance Moore is undersized but shows good quickness and excellent body control. Runs great routes and can get up to top speed quickly, though he doesn't display great speed. Has great hands and can make all the catches, though his size can limit him at times.
RATING: 4.5/5

OL: Jammal Brown, Carl Nicks, Jonathan Goodwin, Jahri Evans, Jon Stinchcomb
RATING: 4.5/5

OFFENSIVE RATING: 4.3/5

Defense:

DL: Will Smith, Kendrick Clancy, Sedrick Ellis, Charles Grant
Will Smith shows a mix of good athleticism and strength. Shows good initial speed and has enough strength to get off of blocks. Shows a rare blend of speed and strength during pass rush, has a wide variety of moves. Kendrick Clancy lacks ideal speed but displays good strength as a run stuffer. He's inconsistent in his play, sometimes using his strength to take on blocks but sometimes stands upright which takes him out of the play. Lacks the necessary athleticism to be a pass rusher but is a underrated run stuffer. Sedrick Ellis shows a good blend of speed and strength and uses both to get a advantage. Uses both to be very disruptive vs the run and has a rare first step which can win him the battle at times. Has great technique, has great hands and feet are always moving, good change of direction skills. Charles Grant has average size but displays excellent lowerbody strength which allows him to be a effective run stuffer. Shows great use of the hands and understands his responsibilities. He has good pad level rushing but doesn't display a great variety of pass rush moves.
RATING: 3.5/5 (my calculated rating gave them 4/5 but I had to bump it down for lack of pressure)

LB: Scott Fujita, Jonathan Vilma, Scott Shanle
Scott Fujita is a good leader on the field and displays good instincts. Has good read and reaction times and attacks aggresively, doesn't wait on blocks. He shows good tackling ability and good pass coverage skills. Can react to the reciever in front of him. Jonathan Vilma isn't a MLB with great bulk or power but doesn't shy away from contact. Vilma is a disruptive playmaker who has great range, and leadership abilities. He never looks lost on the field and plays in great position. Scott Shanle fits in with the other backers with good read and react timing. He struggles to get off of blocks but is aggressive in space. Bites on playaction fakes and takes himself out of plays.
RATING: 3/5

CB: Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter, Randall Gay, Malcolm Jenkins
Jabari Greer has good size and athletic ability at the corner position. Displays great vision, instincts, and reaction time. Can run with most any reciever and can jam at the LOS. Uses his hands well to shed blockers as a run defender. Doesn't lay the wood but is a effective tackler. Tracy Porter has good arm length which helps him make plays on balls. Has great speed and is a threat returning the football after interceptions. Runs a tight man coverage, but could react quicker. May have trouble vs the bigger opponents in run defense.
RATING: 4/5

S: Darren Sharper, Roman Harper
Darren Sharper has lost a step but still displays enough upstairs and athleticism to be a effective safety. Plays with great intelligence and instincts. He is a good rap up tackler and is excellent at reading and reacting. Better in zone coverage than man. Roman Harper has good size, strength, and speed. His reactions and vision can be questionable at times. Is a good run supporter, but has been inconsistent. Can have trouble getting off of blocks.
RATING: 3/5

DEFENSIVE RATING: 3.4/5

TEAM RATING: 3.9/5

Up next: Atlanta Falcons

Last edited:
my bad, the title made me think it was nola.com

good write up. :cheer:

I hope Darren Sharper reads all these " lost a step " articles and show all these know it alls that there is plenty of gass in the tank.

but good write up

I hope Darren Sharper reads all these " lost a step " articles and show all these know it alls that there is plenty of gass in the tank.

but good write up

I think Sharpers smart enough to know he's lost a step.

I'd switch our Cornerbacks to 3.5 and the Running Backs to 3.5. Other than that, looks solid.

I'd switch our Cornerbacks to 3.5 and the Running Backs to 3.5. Other than that, looks solid.

I had the RB's at 3.5 originally. But I just felt like when they were going to really prove themselves this season. I guess the CBs should have been at 3.5.

I think Sharpers smart enough to know he's lost a step.

I was listening to Darren Dalton today on the "Moving the Chains" show on Sirius. He got to talking about Sharper and he said that Sharper is one of the best at studying game films of the routes that the oppents like to run and can see what route is being run before the reciever actually makes his cut, therefore he can "jump" the route and often get picks. Hw will occasionally get it wrong and give up the big play, BUT he is usually right more often than wrong.
After hearing that and from what I have heard about G. Williams style of defense that he likes, Sharper seems to be a perfect fit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom