Non offensive scores.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Saints: 1 (Kruger safety vs Tampa)

Opponents: 6

And that doesn't even include the blocked FG vs Carolina at the half that turned out to be the difference in that game.

Can we please get some playmakers on D/special teams.

I feel like was absolutely the difference in 3 losses, NYG, KC and Denver
(4 if you count the 10 point swing on the Carolina block).

You know how get those... A nasty front seven... There is no secret. We need an All-Pro quality Linebacker and TWO elite pass rushers. Also, being able to field 3 linebacker instead of 2 helps a lot. Those three safety set can't really work without two good pass rushers like we had in Junior and Jordan....

LETS BE HONEST, If Junior wasn't a piece of work... We would be in the playoff right now. He hurt us and put us back more than Byrd, Jimmy, Lewis, and etc DEAD CAP. It's not just about the money. His talent was scheme dependent for our success.

Every time I mention how bad Rob Ryan was since we never scored a defensive TD under him people say we had the 4th ranked defense one year. Your defense has to help score points.

I don't know how any saints fan can just completely ignore getting points from the defense considering how the 09 team scored.

I'd like to at the very least get Kikaha back 100% healthy. In the beginning of his rookie year he was a force rushing the passer and causing fumbles. Then he got moved to a traditional SLB position and asked to drop into coverage a whole lot and he disappeared. Was really excited to see what Allen was going to do with him as a pass rusher. Still am, I suppose...just next year.

Get him back healthy (and the rest of our injured defense) and add a couple more pieces via FA and the draft and 2017's defense could be much, much improved.

Elite offense with poor special teams and defense is why we are 7-9. We must improve both to at least average to have a shot at a championship.

This has been a point of discussion for a long time.

We've gotten lulled into the idea that simply forcing a punt at mid-field deserves a pat on the back. In reality, letting teams consistently move the ball while pinning your offense inside the 10 loses games even if it doesn't directly result in giving up points. Not scoring defensive and ST TDs also don't directly result in giving up points, so it's often overlooked, but it's still important. Good teams usually have 2-3 games a year where a D/STs score won the game for them.

Constantly having to come back in the fourth quarter does not set you up for turnovers on the positive side. Teams with a lead late in the game can play more conservatively and not force plays. When they are pressured to make a come back and/or score fast, that is when those game changing turnovers happen. This season and the last couple it has been the Saints who are pressing and forcing plays late.

We saw our defense make great adjustments in the second half of games, but not before giving up 20+ in the first half. We hear it all the time, "a fast start" and although our offense definitely does its job of getting on the board early in games, it is the defense that needs to start fast as well. Too many times the defense seems to be feeling out the opponents offense and gameplan, instead of dictating what their gameplan will have to be.

Come out cracking skulls and laying the wood early and you will see more turnovers as teams try to make adjustments on the fly or play catch-up.

Oh and philosophy aside, +1 for a solid front 7 with great pass rush.

We used up our 10 year supply in 2009. Should be getting a new batch in 2019.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom