NOPD officer killed this morning (1 Viewer)

This happened right down the street from where I work. I heard all the loud sirens this morning and wondered what was going on - you can actually see the crime scene from my window. Its really sad, I'll pray for her family.

That's terrible.

The guy just walks up, shoots her a bunch of times. I don't get it.

I just read the article on NOLA. Warren Riley said that the suspect took the officers gun and shot her repeatedly with it, and was still holding it when backup arrived.

Still holding it? And he's still alive? With the NOPD? After shooting a cop?

Doesn't sound right...

I just read the article on NOLA. Warren Riley said that the suspect took the officers gun and shot her repeatedly with it, and was still holding it when backup arrived.

Doesn't sound right...

I was thinking the same thing - police are very protective of their own, and I am surprised that this person is still breathing.

You've got to be on some serious drugs to shoot a cop like that, knowing the treatment you're gonna get down at Central Lockup... I just hope they don't leave any marks on the guy after they're done with him, so nothing can be proven...

Let's see, I don't wanna get arrested for rape, so much so that I fight with a police officer, steal her gun, and am willing to use it repeatedly. Then I sit there for several minutes and wait for back-up to come and arrest me for capital murder of a police officer, and I don't put up a fight?

Something ain't right with that boy's thinking.

The beating he got (either on the scene or at lockup) must have been one for the record books!

I'm with the others expressing surprise that the guy is still alive at all, though.

Doesn't sound right...

Maybe the NOPD is actually getting professional.

Police Superintendent Warren Riley identified the suspect as 45-year-old Bernell Johnson of Kenner. Riley said Johnson had been arrested several times for sex offenses.

And yet he was free to walk the streets. What a damn shame.

I will definitely be praying for the officer's family.

I live in a relatively small college town with very little crime. I am in the process of purchasing a condo in the CBD close to Emeril's and stories like the one posted here make my girlfriend extremely nervous and I'd be lying if I didn't admit make me think twice. Having said that, we visit New Orleans usually every other weekend and I've never felt unsafe.
Reading some of the comments from the Nola readers below the tragic story posted above, how do those of you that currently live in New Orleans feel? Is there normally a feeling of safety or is it always a "looking over your shoulder" type feeling?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom