North Carolina family seeks answers after Officer kills deaf man (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Deaf, mute man killed by officer - CNN Video

North Carolina family seeks answers after trooper kills deaf man | National News - WBAL Home

Days after his deaf and speech-impaired brother was shot and killed by a North Carolina state trooper, Sam Harris wonders whether the shooting happened because his sibling's disabilities led to a misunderstanding

"The police need to become aware of how to communicate with deaf people, what that might look like and how to avoid situations like this from ever happening again," Sam Harris, who also is deaf, told CNN affiliate WSOC through a sign-language interpreter on Monday.

So any LEO's out there? Do you have training on how to speak and treat someone that is deaf or have a disability?

Discuss.

A better general education requirement would help Why do we have cops without a degree. They should be the smartest in a room not the other way around

i get the impression that adrenaline (and perhaps performance enhancing drugs) might be at play in many of these quick shoot stories

Any stats to support this.
Every dept. I know of, except a few poor counties require drug screening. Of course u will always have people doing drugs and trying to get away with it. I probably get checked every 9 months.

A better general education requirement would help Why do we have cops without a degree. They should be the smartest in a room not the other way around

"The police need to become aware of how to communicate with deaf people, what that might look like and how to avoid situations like this from ever happening again,"

Education goes both ways.

Just because you are deaf does not excuse you from noticing and reacting to emergency vehicles. There is a reason vehicles have mirrors. The "chase" lasted 7 miles.

For 7 freaking miles, the driver never noticed flashing lights! So we also need to educate deaf drivers. What if some person died because he did not see the ambulance behind him and held up the ambulance?

License plates indicating a deaf driver is one step. Educating deaf drivers to check mirrors more often and standard behavior when pulled over. Educating police is also necessary.

I am in no way taking up for the cop as it seems he certainly over reacted. With a little education, training and common sense from everyone, we can prevent such tragedies. It is easy to sit back and blame. How about some proactive steps so we do not continue having these discussions.

Too bad the deaf man did not have a criminal record, then we could call him a thug, dismiss the shooting and say the cop did society a favor.

As it is, it's a handicapped man and a black policeman. Not to sound crass, but it's these types of shootings/killings that will make the country unite, and laws will be changed. We cannot allow people meandering through our neighborhoods, streets etc., carrying guns and unable to do so without harming innocent people. This happened on the heels of a disabled man, caregiver being shot and the policeman saying that he don't know why he shot him.

See, as long as young black men are killed, the police will have a backing from a sect that actually like that. You start shooting and killing the disabled, their caregivers...and the shooter/policeman is black? Yeah, that's the quickest way to get the bigots to turn against the police.

This is becoming too common, always have been but it was mostly black people on the receiving end.

It's a manpower issue. If you go to small town America, you won't find many cops with anything above a high school diploma. The rest might have an associate degree but you are unlikely to find more than that. Some have military service under their belt. You also have to consider the low pay. Most cops in my area make less than 30K a year. Bigger departments and the MHP pay more but those are not plentiful. Most of the towns around me only have 1 or 2 cops on duty at a time and have to rely on the Sheriff's department for backup. They usually only have two deputies patrolling the whole county at a time.
It's easy to see why the best and brightest mostly don't take those jobs.

********. You are. You always do. At least be honest about it.

"Suspicion of speeding" should not end in the shooting of an unarmed, deaf man.

If you would bother reading and engaging in a discussion, we would all be better served. I stated that the cop over reacted. Guess that is taking up for the cop in your little world.

There are too many guns.

Police must treat everyone as if they are armed and dangerous.

This causes the police to use leathal force far too often.

I'm waiting for information to be released before I make a call on this one. Right now all we know is the disable man did not pull over. But that could be explained away due to his disabilities. however, this went on for several miles.

The Latest: Deaf Man Killed by NC Trooper Had Police Record - ABC News

In North Carolina, where a deaf driver was shot and killed by a State Highway Patrol trooper, the troopers get training on how to interact with deaf people. The troopers' manual cautions them that such interactions can sometimes lead to tragic misunderstandings.

The Basic Law Enforcement Training manual has a section on dealing with deaf people. It provides clues on how to determine if a person is deaf, such as they appear alert but don't respond to noise or sounds.

It advises troopers to watch a person's hands because "deaf people have been stopped by an officer and then shot and killed because the deaf person made a quick move for a pen and pad ..."

You know... while this sounds horrible (and is very tragic)... there's no necessary indication based on anything that's been released that his being deaf had anything to do with the tragedy. Nothing has been released showing or recounting the incident, the only thing that brings up specific concern is the family's assumption that his being deaf is what led to his death.

Not saying that it didn't, but why the outrage over that being the cause when it hasn't been determined yet (or released yet) the events that caused this.

Knowing how manuals are though - the above quote about dealing with deaf being in the manual, does not necessarily indicate appropriate training in handling that type of situation. It very well could be that his being deaf and trying to sign led to his being shot and killed, but any assumption to that point at this stage is only an assumption.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom