North Carolina Keeps Losing Events From HB2 (1 Viewer)

In my opinion, there's a big difference between corporations and other organizations making decisions based, in part, on local political considerations when determining where they are going to hold events or build operations and corporations making large donations directly to politicians or to committees that exist solely to advance the interests of a politician. Politics do not exist in a vacuum, they are integral to the lawmaking process and those laws impact corporations.

And I think it is entirely within a corporation's prerogative to consider these kinds of social engineering laws in the same sense that they would consider tax laws or labor laws. If the corporation or orgainzation determines that a particular law is problematic for any aspect of the law's impact, it is entirely within their reasonable prerogative to elect to go elsewhere. I think that some in this discussion suggest that this is no different than any other kind of corporate expenditure to "influence" the political process but I don't see it that way. I don't think these organizations are necessarily moving these events as some effort to make it painful for North Carolina so that they change their law. I think that may be part of it, but the bigger purpose is to avoid the direct impact on the organization that holding the event in North Carolina would bring. For instance, if an organization has by-laws or policies that prohibit the organization from doing business with others that don't have non-discrimination policies that include sexual orientation, signing contracts to hold an event at the Greensboro Coliseum could conflict with that by-law or policy. Or similarly, if the organization has LGBT employees that could potentially be impacted by the law during the course of the event, the organization may wish not to subject those valuable employees to that experience.

It's not necessarily part of a carrot and stick approach to influence a change in the law. These organizations hold big events that happen in real life - not just in rhetoric. And I don't think it is any different from a corporation pulling out of a state because the state changed their tax law or labor law, or some other law that is going to be challenging to that organization's activities.

While these moves may have the result of influencing political change, it is all transparent and exactly how these relationships are supposed to function. If advocates of a law succeed in getting it passed, but those negatively impacted by the law react in a way that the constituency believes to be detrimental to the extent that there is pressure to change the law, that is just how things work. I don't see the problem there.

At the same time, I also completely agree that political speech is fundamental to the First Amendment. If you believe in the philosophy behind the prohibition on the infringement of political speech by the government, you can't really argue that it is acceptable to shut down political communication by any American, whether as an individual or whether organized into a corporation or non-profit organization. And I don't see why it matters who is funding it, as long as it is transparent. Communication is about ideas and discourse, even if it is specious. The remedy is through debate - not through shutting it down.

The only aspect of the whole discussion that I find problematic is when there are direct donations to the lawmakers - particularly if those donations are not public or transparent. The lawmaker should be beholden only to the constituent - there can be no other master, or else the fundamentals of representative democracy begin to break down.

I find it amazingly childish that people are mad at this law. If you don't have sex reassignment surgery then you don't go into your desired bathroom. This is just common sense

There's a pretty big lesson in Swinney's comments the other day, and some of the responses to that. We have some telling Swinney to "Take MLK’s name out your mouth" and others advocating that black kids not go play for him and that more people were interested in being American than being Christian.

Why? All because he answered a question asked of him with honesty and clarity. And it was his opinion, declaratively so ( It’s just my opinion. That’s Dabo’s opinion), and it was in no way meant to offend or denigrate anyone. If we can't express, without even a hint of any ill intent, our honest opinion on controversial subjects, than what in the world are we trying to accomplish anyway? We may as well as a society turn the lights out and go our separate ways.

The actual centerpiece of Dabo's comments:

(In the interest of full disclosure, I hate Clemson with a burning passion usually reserved for self important drivers and people talking loudly in theaters.)

since this thread doesn't look like it's getting back on track anytime soon...

Dabo's presser is beautiful theatre (not Theatric in the sense that it's artificial, but theatre in that there is enough ambiguity in performance and text to really give you something to chew on)

- if you are inclined to agree with Dabo's overall sentiment of love and acceptance, then there is ample textual support to relish what he says and kind of glide over the other stuff

- if you are not so inclined, there are enough significant contradictions to question what the "real" message is
(in text/performance analysis, it's usually best to stick to what was said/done and not get bogged down in "well, what he meant was..." "he's a good person, so..."

he preached tolerance and maybe 2 sentences later essentially said. "if you don't like it leave" (that's not tolerant)
he preached acceptance but also lectured "this is where you perspective is wrong" (Obama was elected twice so you have it good enough, quit whining)

contextually that sounded like "gays, you keep moaning about marriage, but you fail to realize that we're not beating you up anymore, so..."
"women, you complain that you're only paid $0.78 for every $1 we make,but it was like $0.50 not so long ago, so..."

and then of course missing the whole irony of "people should be more like Dr King" - ...and what happened to Dr. King?:jpshakehead:

NCAA=hypocrites.

NCAA must kick out BYU and anti-gay members, or North Carolina move is meaningless - Outsports

It's remarkable that schools like BYU haven't been kicked out of the NCAA already, given the association's claims of dedication to equality. BYU's policies are far more sinister and discriminatory than North Carolina's HB2 law. While the law bars discrimination protection and forces trans people to use the bathrooms of their birth sex, BYU's policy outright discriminates against the entire LGBT community at every level and bans homosexuality all together.

It's not just BYU. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of NCAA member institutions with policies that specifically target LGBT people. LeTourneau University in Texas makes it against the rules -- punishable by expulsion -- for two people of the same sex to hold hands. Erskine College has tried to ban gay student-athletes. Azusa Pacific University in Division 2 created a hostile environment for a newly out transgender professor, asking him to leave the school (which he reluctantly did). Pepperdine Univ. refuses to recognize an LGBT student group on campus. While we focus so much of our energies on "the South" and "rural" schools, those last two are in the Los Angeles area.

What do they all have in common? They are members in good standing of the NCAA.

In my opinion, there's a big difference between corporations and other organizations making decisions based, in part, on local political considerations when determining where they are going to hold events or build operations and corporations making large donations directly to politicians or to committees that exist solely to advance the interests of a politician. Politics do not exist in a vacuum, they are integral to the lawmaking process and those laws impact corporations.

And I think it is entirely within a corporation's prerogative to consider these kinds of social engineering laws in the same sense that they would consider tax laws or labor laws. If the corporation or orgainzation determines that a particular law is problematic for any aspect of the law's impact, it is entirely within their reasonable prerogative to elect to go elsewhere. I think that some in this discussion suggest that this is no different than any other kind of corporate expenditure to "influence" the political process but I don't see it that way. I don't think these organizations are necessarily moving these events as some effort to make it painful for North Carolina so that they change their law. I think that may be part of it, but the bigger purpose is to avoid the direct impact on the organization that holding the event in North Carolina would bring. For instance, if an organization has by-laws or policies that prohibit the organization from doing business with others that don't have non-discrimination policies that include sexual orientation, signing contracts to hold an event at the Greensboro Coliseum could conflict with that by-law or policy. Or similarly, if the organization has LGBT employees that could potentially be impacted by the law during the course of the event, the organization may wish not to subject those valuable employees to that experience.

It's not necessarily part of a carrot and stick approach to influence a change in the law. These organizations hold big events that happen in real life - not just in rhetoric. And I don't think it is any different from a corporation pulling out of a state because the state changed their tax law or labor law, or some other law that is going to be challenging to that organization's activities.

While these moves may have the result of influencing political change, it is all transparent and exactly how these relationships are supposed to function. If advocates of a law succeed in getting it passed, but those negatively impacted by the law react in a way that the constituency believes to be detrimental to the extent that there is pressure to change the law, that is just how things work. I don't see the problem there.

At the same time, I also completely agree that political speech is fundamental to the First Amendment. If you believe in the philosophy behind the prohibition on the infringement of political speech by the government, you can't really argue that it is acceptable to shut down political communication by any American, whether as an individual or whether organized into a corporation or non-profit organization. And I don't see why it matters who is funding it, as long as it is transparent. Communication is about ideas and discourse, even if it is specious. The remedy is through debate - not through shutting it down.

The only aspect of the whole discussion that I find problematic is when there are direct donations to the lawmakers - particularly if those donations are not public or transparent. The lawmaker should be beholden only to the constituent - there can be no other master, or else the fundamentals of representative democracy begin to break down.

You make a good point about the motivations of entities that wish to pull out of events in North Carolina. And I think you are right - the intent is not necessarily to pressure N.C. to change their law - even though that point is being made.

But on the issue of freedom of expression it seems far more problematic to say that such intent somehow absolves those corporations from government regulation while entities wishing to engage in political speech should be subject to regulation. Expression for business reasons has been subject to some degree of regulation almost from the start of our country (to varying degrees). So it still seems really odd to cheer for this type of expression while arguing that purely political speech to be illegal.

I find it amazingly childish that people are mad at this law. If you don't have sex reassignment surgery then you don't go into your desired bathroom. This is just common sense

a goodly majority disagrees with so we'll just have to ponder sense and sensibility

since this thread doesn't look like it's getting back on track anytime soon...

I don’t see where this particular substrate isn’t right in line with the original discussion.

Dabo's presser is beautiful theatre (not Theatric in the sense that it's artificial, but theatre in that there is enough ambiguity in performance and text to really give you something to chew on)

- if you are inclined to agree with Dabo's overall sentiment of love and acceptance, then there is ample textual support to relish what he says and kind of glide over the other stuff

- if you are not so inclined, there are enough significant contradictions to question what the "real" message is
(in text/performance analysis, it's usually best to stick to what was said/done and not get bogged down in "well, what he meant was..." "he's a good person, so..."
he preached tolerance and maybe 2 sentences later essentially said. "if you don't like it leave" (that's not tolerant)

I have in no way put context or clarification on Swinney’s words. I never said “what he meant was” or talked about how good of a man he is. I directly quoted him. And I agree with his statement that the world is much worse off when we don't treat each other as equals and love each other despite our differences.

He also cut off a leading question about high schoolers kneeling and that they "might not understand" by defending their right to do so, but that he would prefer not to use the team as the vehicle to do so.

he preached acceptance but also lectured "this is where you perspective is wrong" (Obama was elected twice so you have it good enough, quit whining)
He also went on to point out that the progress that he was celebrating was not void of continuing issues. Did you even read what he said, or just parroting the contextual criticisms of the comment’s detractors?

contextually that sounded like "gays, you keep moaning about marriage, but you fail to realize that we're not beating you up anymore, so..."
"women, you complain that you're only paid $0.78 for every $1 we make,but it was like $0.50 not so long ago, so..."
Yeah, not quite. In no way were his statements even close to inferring anything like that. In truth, his was a direct shot at white, middle-aged, southern evangelicals and their resistance to the current pace of change.

and then of course missing the whole irony of "people should be more like Dr King" - ...and what happened to Dr. King?:jpshakehead:

Typed about three different things here, but I’m just not feeling how they came out, so I’ll cede the point.

I have in no way put context or clarification on Swinney’s words. I never said “what he meant was” or talked about how good of a man he is. I directly quoted him.
sure, i was discussing overall commentary

He also went on to point out that the progress that he was celebrating was not void of continuing issues. Did you even read what he said, or just parroting the contextual criticisms of the comment’s detractors?

listened to whole thing - but the specific points are what were being bandied about

Yeah, not quite. In no way were his statements even close to inferring anything like that. In truth, his was a direct shot at white, middle-aged, southern evangelicals and their resistance to the current pace of change.
while true, i would argue the contradictions still remain
while the bulk of the message is laudable, there is still the presumption of telling others how they should perceive their experience

but to be clear - i am not denouncing what he said or calling him out - i find it fascinating and was being honest in calling it beautiful Theatre (neither good not bad but compellingly ambiguous)

sure, i was discussing overall commentary

listened to whole thing - but the specific points are what were being bandied about

while true, i would argue the contradictions still remain
while the bulk of the message is laudable, there is still the presumption of telling others how they should perceive their experience

but to be clear - i am not denouncing what he said or calling him out - i find it fascinating and was being honest in calling it beautiful Theatre (neither good not bad but compellingly ambiguous)

He did essentially end it with "that's one man's opinion. What do I know?", so I don't feel that he was trying to settle any debates or end years of racial strife with his comments.

Which I personally find really serves to demonize the more critical commentaries out there right. Not intimating that you are or are one of them, but some of the main detractors are doing some contextual gymnastics to find fault with his clearly stated opinion. And that truly disappoints me.

83070.jpg

This is a problem

I wish someone could find the thread from a year or three ago about what transsexual is. I don't even remember what the original topic was, but someone posted on the second page what a friend explained to him about being transsexual. It really opened my eyes.

Hmmmm, my common sense super powers makes me think that you don't know any transgendered people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom