Northwest heat wave (1 Viewer)

reported on WWL radio

Wondering if that was misreported? Hottest I've seen reported for Seattle was 108° (an official all-time record high), with Portland hitting 116°.

Lytton, B.C. reached 121° - a new record high for Canada.

"According to world weather records expert Maximiliano Herrera, the 121-degree reading also set a new world record for the most extreme high temperature ever observed north of 45 degrees latitude."

I'm a weather nerd. The highest temp ever recorded on the Ms. Coast was 102. Interestingly enough, Miami Fla has only recorded one day. The temp hit 100 and that occurred on July 21 1942
Hottest I've ever seen around here was 108 back in 2010 or 2011. At 7pm that day the temp was still 102.

In January of that year I went out to my car, started it, and the thermometer read -4 with 20 mph winds. It was so cold it hurt. I hope I never see that kind of cold again. Ever. I hate winter.

Hottest I've ever seen around here was 108 back in 2010 or 2011. At 7pm that day the temp was still 102.

In January of that year I went out to my car, started it, and the thermometer read -4 with 20 mph winds. It was so cold it hurt. I hope I never see that kind of cold again. Ever. I hate winter.
I'm not a fan of either extreme. This reminded me of one of my daughters comments when she was around 5 years old. It was 15 degrees with a brutal wind out of the north. She said Dad I like it warm.

Looks like your Seattle weather was exaggerated, but 102 (the temp yesterday) is still crazy high for them: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/seattle/historic

I lived there for 10 years... no one has A/C so the past week would have been abysmal. I have friends with young kids there, so I can only imagine how rough that was.

Disagree. When it's cold out, you can always add more layers. When it's hot, there's only so many clothes you can take off.

Disagree. When it's cold out, you can always add more layers. When it's hot, there's only so many clothes you can take off.
Meh, I manage well in the summer. I'll adjust to the heat, even if the heat is 100+.

I ******* hate winter.

I remember reading a blog many years ago about a group that decided to drive their car onto the arctic ocean in the winter.
One of the days they woke up and their digital thermometer said the temperature was "ERROR".

I never want to experience a temperature of "ERROR"

Last edited:
Meh, I manage well in the summer. I'll adjust to the heat, even if the heat is 100+.

I ******* hate winter.
Even if there's a power outage and no A/C? I'll take cold over hot any day. Then again, I was born in Canada, so maybe I'm biased.

It was 2011, I remember that day well. I took off from work as my oldest son was playing on an Olympic development soccer team with mostly older players, they played that day on a freakin turf field, it was brutal and foolish. I'm certain some of the players suffered heat related sickness that day....if I could have that day back I wouldn't have let him play....

Even if there's a power outage and no A/C? I'll take cold over hot any day. Then again, I was born in Canada, so maybe I'm biased.
Now if there was a power outage and no A/C it would suck, but not as bad as a power outage and no heat when it's zero degrees and snowing :hihi:

Last edited:
the obligatory...."is it hot enough for ya?"

is it at least a "dry" heat? or we talking 50-60% humidity as well?

Cuz i gotta tell ya, the humidity, no breeze, will make you want to move to the poles quick.

Cuz i gotta tell ya, the humidity, no breeze, will make you want to move to the poles quick.
We like to complain down here. My father went on a west coast vacation back in the early 90's. One of his stops was Death Valley. He told me it's nothing like we experience here. It was like stepping into an oven. We get hot here,but nothing like on that level.

I would adore living in a place that didn't "require" air conditioning.

I went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago. No breeze with 110+ degrees is miserable. At least with humidity, the sweat will cool you. At 110+, you aren't really sweating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom