Not a good sign (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Copyright Infringement
In this morning’s column Peter King wrote this about the Saints drafting Tommy Stevens away from Panthers,

“I think it’s good to see the league, via Mike Florio’s reporting, emphasize that undrafted free agents cannot reach agreement with any team before the end of the draft. The only way the league will be able to enforce this and make it a real rule is to hit offending teams hard. It’s always been one of the league’s most flouted rules, agreeing to deals with undrafted guys before the draft ends and signing that night. If the league really wants it to stop, a hefty fine to a confirmed offender would go a long way toward stopping it.“

Link of the article:

We all know that Peter King has been a mouthpiece for the commissioner over the years enjoying an inside status. You can bet Goodell planted this with King making it look like the respected writer agreed with his actions BEFORE he announced them.
The question is will Goodell settle for just the hefty fine King suggests which would be good news for Saints and Panthers or will he dock draft picks to use them as examples to other teams to discourage this practice going forward.
There is no way to conclude (based on the rapidity of each teams announcing their UDFAs within minutes of the end of the draft ) anything other than ALL teams did exactly what the Saints and Panthers did. If the Saints get docked draft pick(s), I would blow up the whole system by divulging their experiences with every UDFA in the last effin ten years and how many had offers by named specific teams.
At what point do you continue to take unfair treatment sitting down? All that being said, this is just another example of the arrogance and stupidity of Coach Payton talking about this publicly. The league has been out to get the Saints ever since he threatened to embarrass the commissioner by boycotting the post Super Bowl winning press conference because of a bad hangover. He needs to grow up at some point:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... Why would the league punish the Saints? This the the draft. Every teams do this.... Move up to get someone just because another team is trying to get that person too. If Payton knew the other team is signing him or taking him, then he did it legally by trading picks to get him. So what's the problem there? Payton didn't offer any money there. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with anything that was done.

OK... Why would the league punish the Saints? This the the draft. Every teams do this.... Move up to get someone just because another team is trying to get that person too. If Payton knew the other team is signing him or taking him, then he did it legally by trading picks to get him. So what's the problem there? Payton didn't offer any money there. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with anything that was done.

Except part of Payton's "look at how awesome I am at sticking it to others" story was that the Saints offered to outbid Carolina, but the player refused because he already agreed to Carolina's deal and didn't want to go back on that. That's when the Saints traded back into the 7th to snipe him from Carolina.

The first rule about negotiating UDFA contracts before the draft is over is that you don't talk about negotiating UDFA contracts before the draft is over.

Except part of Payton's "look at how awesome I am at sticking it to others" story was that the Saints offered to outbid Carolina, but the player refused because he already agreed to Carolina's deal and didn't want to go back on that. That's when the Saints traded back into the 7th to snipe him from Carolina.

The first rule about negotiating UDFA contracts before the draft is over is that you don't talk about negotiating UDFA contracts before the draft is over.
I do agree that Payton did talk to much about this. Punishment... Probably not. But rules change is a probability

Let's not forget that Duncan could have bent Payton's words somewhat. Not saying he did but maybe all Payton said was hey kid we'll give you more than Carolina and then explained to Duncan that they were willing to offer him $144,000 guaranteed, and then Duncan merged those statements to seem as if Payton told the kid he was offering $144,000 guaranteed. That would be best case scenario for us.

That defense didn't hold up well last time

1. A fine is meaningless. That would be a slap on the wrist.

2. Could you please change the thread title?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom