(Not Being Funny) But should Tony Romo Retire and Pursue Golf? (1 Viewer)

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
Y! SPORTS

We all know that Tony Romo is a good golfer. But my question is, is he good enough to make it on the tour? Is it smarter to leave the high pressured, violent and targeted position of Dallas Cowgirls QB, and pursue the leisure sport of golf?

NMS

All-Pro
Reaction score
As long as the current QBs in Arizona are still employed the answer is no. he'll never get the same attention as a golfer

WestCoastFan

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he has the game to pursue a golf career it just depends where his heart is. I hope he does try to take up professional golf after football, whenever that might be. Given the opportunity to focus solely on golf I think he could give a lot of the pro golfers, in time, a run for their money.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Y! SPORTS

We all know that Tony Romo is a good golfer. But my question is, is he good enough to make it on the tour? Is it smarter to leave the high pressured, violent and targeted position of Dallas Cowgirls QB, and pursue the leisure sport of golf?
Yes you are trying to be funny, and you are are here. And No, he's not good enough to be a pro caddy. The celebs are playing tees 20 yards or more forward of the golf pros. And at Pebble, that's a huge difference.

WestCoastFan

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Y! SPORTS

Once you attempt to go professional golfer it is no longer considered a "leisure" sport. Those guys work very hard, day in, day out for years honing their skills. Those guys make it look easy but trust me it's not. Go try yourself sometime. If Tony were to devote himself strictly to golf I could see him making it on the Web.com tour and from there maybe it is possible for him the make it on the pro tour. I doubt he would win a PGA tour event but I do think it's possible for him to make the tour. Stranger things have happened.

WestCoastFan

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
question is will he get paid more than he does now
In golf winnings....no. Most pro golfers make more money outside of playing golf like Phil Mickelson, as an example, has earned $66 million in prize money since turning pro in 1992. Last year he earned $48 million for the year. He is reportedly worth $180 million. He earned $114 million without the clubs in his hands. I'm pretty sure Tony has more than two nickles to rub together and probably already has some sort of investment or residual income coming in outside of football. He'll be fine.

OP

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
Once you attempt to go professional golfer it is no longer considered a "leisure" sport. Those guys work very hard, day in, day out for years honing their skills. Those guys make it look easy but trust me it's not. Go try yourself sometime. If Tony were to devote himself strictly to golf I could see him making it on the Web.com tour and from there maybe it is possible for him the make it on the pro tour. I doubt he would win a PGA tour event but I do think it's possible for him to make the tour. Stranger things have happened.
I know that Golf is incredibly difficult, and I do play myself, I thank you very much.

Its definitely tough, but I don't think you will find a single human being on the planet that wouldn't call it a Leisure sport when compared to the violent sport of Football.

Maybe I spoke too highly when I said "the tour", what I really meant is "professionally" in any arena. He has enough money to retire now, so why not take up Golf? If he plays football for another 5-10 years, he MAY not be able to walk when he's 55.

Yes you are trying to be funny, and you are are here. And No, he's not good enough to be a pro caddy. The celebs are playing tees 20 yards or more forward of the golf pros. And at Pebble, that's a huge difference.
No sir, I am not being funny. I was actually serious.

zorro37

Cha-Champs
Reaction score
I can see it now:

"And Romo with the tee shot at 15. Great shot, looks like it will be right into middle of the fairw-INTERCEPTED. Intercepted at the 250 yard line! I thought this was golf?!"

texasjefe

That's how football go
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think happy feet and swinging on the run works well in golf.

WestCoastFan

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know that Golf is incredibly difficult, and I do play myself, I thank you very much.

Its definitely tough, but I don't think you will find a single human being on the planet that wouldn't call it a Leisure sport when compared to the violent sport of Football.

Maybe I spoke too highly when I said "the tour", what I really meant is "professionally" in any arena. He has enough money to retire now, so why not take up Golf? If he plays football for another 5-10 years, he MAY not be able to walk when he's 55.

No sir, I am not being funny. I was actually serious.
First of all I would like to apologize to you for assuming you didn't play golf. I know it sounded bad in my post but I meant no disrespect to you, especially to a fellow golfer. I'm with you about the idea of Tony seriously considering golf. Like you said, why not? I can't see him ever being elite, winning a Super Bowl or getting inducted into the HOF. Each sport presents its own unique challenges and difficulties. Yes, golf does seem leisurely compared to football. Thanks for responding.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Romo plays well, but gives up late lead, . . . in golf

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 11, 2013, 8:06 AM EST

So apparently, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are golf&#8217;s regular season, and Sunday is its playoffs.

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and his partner lost a final-day lead, and finished third at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Sunday.

Romo and pro partner Jordan Spieth shot a solid 68, but co-championship teams Brandt Snedeker-Toby Wilt and Michael Letzig-John Erickson (two of those guys are allegedly golfers, two celebrities, and I have no idea which) had 65s.

In fairness to Romo, he did sink a 15-foot birdie putt on the 17th hole, so it&#8217;s not as if he fumbled a snap for a game-winning field goal or anything.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Romo laughed when asked if he&#8217;d listen to people suggesting he could moonlight on the PGA Tour.

&#8220;I think they&#8217;re wrong,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I&#8217;m pretty good at what I do. I like to compete, and it gets our family out on a couple of vacations once in a while and it makes it an enjoyable experience.&#8221;

Which sounds a lot like his day job, without all the pesky playoffs.
Romo plays well, but gives up late lead, . . . in golf | ProFootballTalk

:spit: :smilielol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saintsphere Payton says he's closer to being "a lot" worried about the secondary than he is to not being worried; says the breakdowns are a "$6 mil" question Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
HburgSaints Tired of being held back by refs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Dan in Lafayette Saints confident in depth at receiver despite Thomas, Sanders being out vs. Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Anybody else concerned about keeping MT13 reined in while his frustration builds with not being on the field? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
KaYoTiiC MT isn’t being traded! (Inside info) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 83
OutlawSaint Question regarding Saints vs Panthers possibility of being postponed to Monday or Tuesday. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
bladerunner Match Up Panthers shutting their facility and having players and coaches work remotely after an unconfirmed positive test result that now is being rerun. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
jasonsw A Big weakness of the Bears N.O should take advantage of Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27
The Saints should pursue a trade for LB Myles Jack of the Jags (Mod Edit: Suggestion, not rumor) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Who should be Fox Game of The Week: Saints/Bears or Seahawks/49ers? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
PJ Williams /Swearinger should be given a chance to play some FS over Williams Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Free Safety and Linebackers should be what’s on the Trade Radar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
We should appreciate the heart, talent and effort of Alvin Kamara Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
Saint Kamara That performance should remove Rodgers from the MVP talk for the rest of the season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32