Not funny, CDC. Not funny. (1 Viewer)

You don't make jokes like this in the 2020's.

This joke might've been seen or viewed as mostly harmless, stupid jock humor from CDC scientists and administrators with a LITTLE too much time in their hands and wanting to parody the Walking Dead 3-4 years ago, but since around about mid-March 2020, literally a year ago almost, we Americans are far less amused, and humored by CDC playing a stupid practical joke from 2013 before the world's worst viral flu pandemic in a century emerged and has killed millions of people worldwide, including half a million Americans and counting.

These are very serious times that require highly-intelligent, dedicated frontline medical workers, staff, medical scientists, epidemiologists to persevere and continue being the selfless, hard-working, conscientious soldiers they are and will continue to be, not a time for forking asinine jokes from a now-outdated, barely relavent world that doesn't exist anymore.

This joke might've been seen or viewed as mostly harmless, stupid jock humor from CDC scientists and administrators with a LITTLE too much time in their hands and wanting to parody the Walking Dead 3-4 years ago, but since around about mid-March 2020, literally a year ago almost, we Americans are far less amused, and humored by CDC playing a stupid practical joke from 2013 before the world's worst viral flu pandemic in a century emerged and has killed millions of people worldwide, including half a million Americans and counting.

These are very serious times that require highly-intelligent, dedicated frontline medical workers, staff, medical scientists, epidemiologists to persevere and continue being the selfless, hard-working, conscientious soldiers they are and will continue to be, not a time for forking asinine jokes from a now-outdated, barely relavent world that doesn't exist anymore.

I dunno, they can be selfless, hard-working, conscientious federal employees. But they also can have a sense of humor like the rest of us. These people have families, face tragedy and sometimes live lives of quiet desperation. Cut them a little slack.

Sometimes a little levity in times of crisis is actually appropriate. Might fall flat or miss the mark, but that's true at most any given time.

Well after 2020 has segued into 2021 with continuing disasters, I do find my self asking "WTH is next?" Perhaps CDC is starting to see the light at the end of a very long, dark Covid tunnel.

Is it a joke? Mindless vessels of flesh that don't talk and bump into objects?

Digital-Zombies.jpg

It's a lighter and more engaging platform to get their message across, but this guide has a purpose. A LOT more people read this than would read a standard "emergency preparedness bulletin" and the zombie apocolypse site is filled with valuable real world disaster preparedness tips. It's not so much a joke as an entertaining way to educate the public who might not read a standard preparedness bulletin

It's a lighter and more engaging platform to get their message across, but this guide has a purpose. A LOT more people read this than would read a standard "emergency preparedness bulletin" and the zombie apocolypse site is filled with valuable real world disaster preparedness tips. It's not so much a joke as an entertaining way to educate the public who might not read a standard preparedness bulletin
That's all fine and good until Earth and 2021 team up to say, "Hold my beer." :hihi:

OR...it could be one of the most popular areas of the website and a good platform for unwittingly educating people who wouldn't otherwise visit the website because...well...Americans

OR...it could be one of the most popular areas of the website and a good platform for unwittingly educating people who wouldn't otherwise visit the website because...well...Americans

I don't think he read that far into the article.

Unwittingly? You'd think considering how serious this pandemic has been infecting millions of people with positive Covid-19 cases and over 500,000 deaths and counting, I'd like to believe, one year into this catastrophic, nightmarish ordeal, more then a few Americans wouldn't need to be invited or needed as clickbait material to read latest, most informative, pressing news about daily tracker stating amount of Americans who've been vaccinated at least once vs. fully vaccinated.

I get what most posters on here are saying and suggesting that using popular culture memes as clever, useful tips to attract millions of more Americans to view these websites to gather latest Covid-related research, information,.etc and I suppose some here think my original response was too harsh, being a hardass. Its just the death toll from this pandemic is actually higher and proven more deadly then all Americans who died fighting in both World Wars of the previous century. That's a damning, bitter, intensely regretable, very much avoidable set of statistics in terms of the total Covid-19 casualty list couldve been with a better, more highly effective bureaucratic, immediate response to the pandemic when the first huge spikes of cases and deaths started to emerge. 2020 and the intense experiences it caused have sort of hardened me even more then what I was before.

To each their own, I suppose.

Live, mostly I think Stephen King's, "The Stand", is a more accurate, pop culture TV series/sci-fi reference particularly as it relates to the new recently-released reimagined, 2020 version that aired on CBS All Access beginning in early December.
In fact, the scientific, cultural, and literary references of how the Stand relates to this current pandemic is frightening and maybe hits a little too, close to home for some people, including me, to some extent.

BTW, did you watch some or all of the new 2020-21 Stand series and how does it hold up to the classic 1994 TV adaptation? Randall Flagg as some evil demonic, cultish, " Charles Manson meets Jerry Garcia ala.Jim Jones", walking dude, "Captain Trips" character is one of the most recognizable, evil, demented yet also most mesmerizing figures in all of Stephen King's series of horror novels,.fictional dramas, dark sci-fi Dark Tower epic novellas.

I don't think he read that far into the article.
Well, man don't hate or criticize me too much if I fall into the very small category of Americans who are indifferent, or ambivalent to the runaway, long-running overwhelmingly successful The Walking Dead AMC series and its now-equally fascinating prequel/dual post-apocalyptic reconstructed society Fear the Walking Dead.

Well, man don't hate or criticize me too much if I fall into the very small category of Americans who are indifferent, or ambivalent to the runaway, long-running overwhelmingly successful The Walking Dead AMC series and its now-equally fascinating prequel/dual post-apocalyptic reconstructed society Fear the Walking Dead.

It's a bit ironic that you are asking people not to hate or criticize you too much when you are guilty of that same thing in this thread. Or maybe not so much ironic as just hypocritical?

Somehow I don't think titling it "If You dumbarses Had Done These Things We Could Have Had A Real Lockdown That Would Have Wiped Covid-19 Out" would have gone over very well

It's a bit ironic that you are asking people not to hate or criticize you too much when you are guilty of that same thing in this thread. Or maybe not so much ironic as just hypocritical?

Somehow I don't think titling it "If You dumbarses Had Done These Things We Could Have Had A Real Lockdown That Would Have Wiped Covid-19 Out" would have gone over very well
I don't think we or the CDC needed to be that pedantic about it, but to each their own. I don't see why I need to be criticized for saying I'm not a big fan of the Walking Dead or not followed it too much over the years in of itself. I know what its about, am familiar with some or most of the major actors who've starred or have appeared in both the original series and its eventual companion spinoff series over the years. Its impossible to not be at least aware of or cognizant of how much of a cultural phenomenon that one isn't at least aware of the basic or casual subplots the series explores early on or in later seasons.

Besides, my above response to Super was mostly kind of facetious, bit of touch-in-cheek ironic sort of commentary. It was sort of meant to be understood as more silly then serious. The way some of these ironic non-sensical replies can sound on an Internet sports message board is different then how it might be taken in a talk about friends around a backward pool, drinking Budweisers on the 4th of July.

I mean, in one of my other replies to liveDC, I mentioned if he'd seen some or all of the new, reimagined Stand series that aired from mid-December 2020-late February as a curious afterthought so its clear I was lightening the tone a bit already?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom