Not good to believe your own hype. (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
The team bought into the hype.
  1. We added a true #2 WR
  2. We beefed up the secondary
  3. The best team in years
  4. All the holes filled.
  5. Continuity advantage over rebuilding rivals
  6. yada yada yada
This is what happens when you believe your own spin and think just showing up is enough to beat so-called inferior teams.

Mabe the 3 and 2 start will be the slap in the face that knocks the silly pre-season grin off everyone's face.

I don't know about "believing the hype". You have a team that is known to always start out slow out the gates in a season where you had no OTA's and no preseason. On top of that you're playing without your All-pro receiver for most of the games. You're sitting atop the division 5 games in. I can't speak for everyone but this is pretty much what I expected.

Yea, I don't know why I clicked this thread because we won, and this is a negative thread. At least it seems. So yea, this is what happens. Teams play and you win some and lose some, however, this isn't your typical season with the virus. That said, I believe we're in a great position. 3-2, in 1st place of the division and a bye week to get healed up and correct some issues. Yea, we're fine.

What would you have done differently?

I don't think any of us or the coaching staff can put a finger on what's the missing piece. Clearly things aren't working but I don't know that it's all on the shoulders of one or a few individual players on this team.

A good idea is to read your words before officially posting.

If you would have done so, there's zero chance this gets posted.

Let's go point by point.

First, who's "believing the hype"? Fans? Players?
Second, what does it even mean? We addressed issues and that's a good thing? I would agree addressing issues would be a good thing in the offseason, and thinking those moves might help is "believing the hype"?

1. We added a true #2 WR ----Is this not true? In the last two games, our "true number 2" has gone 6-93 and 12-122, both wins.
  2. We beefed up the secondary--- By adding Jenkins and losing Bell? That's even at best and not sure anyone came here saying we beefed it up.
  3. The best team in years---That's typical fanatic message board behavior, Sean Payton never said it.
  4. All the holes filled.---I would say without injury, we'd have to be considered complete by pretty much everyone in the NFL. This is considering Davenport, Thomas, Jackrabbit are all playing....which you assume when you say all holes are filled.
  5. Continuity advantage over rebuilding rivals- Also true, probably why we beat the Bucs, better record than ATL, and Carolina hasn't beaten us, so , yeah.
  6. yada yada yada- Excellent point. " I mentioned the bisque" :sneaky: Anyone?

End of story is we are in first place in our division.

Overall, it was not a good post.

I believe that the team is struggling due to a lack of offseason. Adding M. Jenkins to the fold meant change to our secondary and J. Jenkins being injured is even more change.

The problem with the d-line was missing Davenport. He is the key to this teams success up front on defense. Every d-linemen is better when he’s in the game.

The LB play is suffering because we lost Nolan.

On offense we’re missing MT and have a new WR who admitted last night that he was completely lost at the beginning of the season.

I really think that the Saints will start hitting their stride and it’s good that they’re struggling, because I feel Payton’s teams get complacent when they are heavy favorites.

1. We added a true #2 WR
  4. All the holes filled.
  6. yada yada yada
This is what happens when you believe your own spin and think just showing up is enough to beat so-called inferior teams.

Mabe the 3 and 2 start will be the slap in the face that knocks the silly pre-season grin off everyone's face.
What do you mean, "This is what happens"?? We just won our 2nd straight---are you saying the team actually should just start quoting preseason predictions and Payton should start every practice with "Guys, we just need to show up...let's take the day off"? Well...I guess it is working

Im down with a don’t eat the cheese thread but it would have been more effective If you don’t lead with the ítem about the number two receiver. We do have a true number two that appears to shade on the side of 1B at the moment. Best FA move in a while for this team.

I don't think any of us or the coaching staff can put a finger on what's the missing piece. Clearly things aren't working but I don't know that it's all on the shoulders of one or a few individual players on this team.

The missing piece, as always, is a secondary that isn’t horrible. Every team that plays us has an easy button. Just fling it downfield and take the TD or PI. We are struggling with weak teams. Good teams are going to murder us in the air.

Disbelieve the hype
Not grinned

Sorry to say this, but with the talent on this team we should be much better. I think there is an attitude/culture problem on this team, the coaching and leadership just don’t seem right to me. I’m not advocating for any changes (though it would be great to bring Wade Phillips in to replace Dennis Allen) yet....but....I just feel this team should be playing much better than they are....

1. We added a true #2 WR
  4. All the holes filled.
  6. yada yada yada

I feel like the " we ate the cheese" excuse can only be used for 1 maybe 2 games. Not 5. Cause after those 1 or 2 u lose or play like garbage, if it was just mental, they would step they're game back up after that right? I think we just have players and coaches who just plainly aren't good enough, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It's as simple as that

1. We added a true #2 WR
  4. All the holes filled.
  6. yada yada yada

How do you know anyone on the team believed their own spin or thought that they should win just by showing up? Where is your evidence that anyone on the team thought this?

Last edited:
I don't get the Beefed up the secondary thing. We let go of a young star in Vonn Bell to bring in an aging Malcolm Jenkins that was on our team (along with PRob) when we had the worst defenses in NFL history. I honestly have no idea what the FO was thinking or why we think so highly of Jenkins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom