Not Happy With The Crawfish? Doesn't Mean You're Spoiled (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see over and over again this stuff about, if a fan is concerned with the sloppy and mistake-prone play that we've seen enough of over the last few weeks, that since we have a good record and a decent seed and have made it to the playoffs to follow up a Superbowl and had many great accomplishments and accolades, that if you feel this way about the sloppiness and mistakes then you are spoiled.

I'm very proud of all this team has overcome. That many of the obstacles they were forced to hurdle were of their own making though is bad ball, to me.

I'm happy we are in but only one team goes away happy.

I think everyone is happy.

That, unfortunately, doesn't appear a sentiment alone to fans. This team looks happy and very satisfied. Win or lose in Seattle, they had a great year, lets just be happy.

The negative trends that get teams beat need to stop soon. They were still there with starters out there "trying?" to secure a victory over an in-division foe. I suppose we can expect it to be automatic, flip the switch to off, and they stop as we proceed. But reality says if the team doesn't re-focus on getting better and eliminating these misfires then the chances of getting beat become much greater.

I hope we tie up those loose ends... The Saints already have too many ignominious distinctions... I won't be able to breathe if we are the first team EVER to lose in the playoffs to a team with a losing record.

win on 3
WIN!:plus-un2:

I couldn't be more happier about the way this team has rebuilt itself into a 1st class professional organization.

We won the SB last year with a 13-3 regular season record and are in the playoffs again with an 11-5 record. Just 2 more losses than year. Sometimes the defending SB Champs don't even make the playoffs let alone a winning record the following year.

For what we have gone through with this team over the decades, I am quite happy with what we have. A few things could use some tweaking, but no one or no team is perfect.

I couldn't be more happier about the way this team has rebuilt itself into a 1st class professional organization.

We won the SB last year with a 13-3 regular season record and are in the playoffs again with an 11-5 record. Just 2 more losses than year. Sometimes the defending SB Champs don't even make the playoffs let alone a winning record the following year.

For what we have gone through with this team over the decades, I am quite happy with what we have. A few things could use some tweaking, but no one or no team is perfect.

Me too. And I'll celebrate that wildy after we play our last game this season. Hopefully that's a win. Anything short of a mactchup with the Bears is a huge conterstep in my eyes though.

sorry, but some people are spoiled..
what kinda threads you think they would have if we were 3-13??

I'm definitely happy about our record/team etc.. being in the playoffs 100%..

am I content with just getting in. 100% NO..

you think drew bress looked happy and satisfied.. believe me they know what they want and its not just getting in the playoffs.

just understand where this team came from and where we are now. Lets enjoy it while its here..

The new season starts saturday. WHO DAT

Boiled+Crawfish.jpg

The Saints are the most likely team to beat the Saints.

Really. Aside from Baltimore, those losses were all games where we beat ourselves.

This Saints team is achieving something no other Saints team has ever achieved: They are defending a title. While 2009 was one of those magical NFL seasons - like the 1999 Rams - 2010 is a season of playing tough week-in and week-out, without the magic. It's the next standard that has to be maintained, post-championship. To be a contender most seasons, and garner multiple rings, requires this process. The Steelers and Patriots currently have "it," and I think the Saints in this regime are working to build the same foundation for long-term success. This season has not disappointed in that regard.

Bob Papa on Sirius this morning said the mark of a great coach is continuing to win when you have key players missing. He was referring to Mike Tomlin without Roethlisberger. But I think Sean Payton has done the same great job this year. Winning and making the playoffs are high marks.

Now they have to show they have the toughness to win again in the postseason, under the circumstances they face. Yes, they have to play mistake-free or close to it, but every team does in any playoff game, regardless of how they played in the regular season. It's not the making of mistakes - it's the ability to overcome them that separates most winners from losers.

That's a good post Longhorn, and I agree with the main points.

I again disagree with any criticism of Saints' being even slightly disappointed with going 11-5 and making the playoffs, particularly the way the year played out. We just not have played to our potential, and that's always maddening.

If you guys haven't read Payton's "Home Team" (I'm sure everybody has) you gotta believe he is pretty dissapointed as well. He mentions that he learned from Parcells how disappointed and angry losing to inferior opposition is, regardless of your record. We made a habit of that this year.

And while we are in the playoffs and 0-0, as so many allude to, the playing field isn't level. Payton again comments in the book how imperative he believes it is to capture a first round bye and play at home, particularly with a team built like the Saints are. We have to win 4 games, we are playing on the road, etc. The odds of us, historically, making the conference finals are 15%, while the odds of the 1 making it is over 50%. The season has consequences, and we didn't play to our potential.

People talk about "Super Bowl" hangovers like we are the majority of the other teams that won this decade. Do we have Trent Dilfer at the helm like the 02 Bucs? Did we lose 25+ players like the 05 Steelers? Did we lose our assistant coaches and coordinators like dang near every other team this decade? Are we the 07 Giants with a QB with an 80 something odd career rating?

No, we far more closely resemble the Patriots and the Colts. Wonder if Dungy would have been happy with the 5 seed in 07? Wonder if Patriot fans would have been happy with the 04 version had they lost 3 games they should have and exchanged the 1 they should have had for the 5 they deserved.....

We essentially returned a SB team, in tact, against one of the weakest schedules ever in the NFL. We have a HofF franchise QB in his prime, and one of the best DC in the league. These variables are fleeting, and we may never have it again. There is a time to be happy with 8-8, there is a time to recognize overachievement and just being in the playoffs, and there is a time to recognize that you have one of the best 2-3 teams in the league and you need to capitialize on every ounce of potential and effort to secure the hardware for a lifetime.

To add to Longhorns comments...

First time in awhile that both Superbowl teams returned to the playoffs (its not easy back-to-backing - at least 10 years)

11-5 is still a good showing for this organization; only 4 other times have we gotten 11 wins in a season.

Its harder to win games with mistakes. Mistakes happen. The key is to make less mistakes then the opponent.

Expecting mistake free football is unlikely, and most of the mistakes on the field arent picked up by us novices. Its doesnt mean we have to be concerned that this is a team that has little chance of repeating.

One thing we have shown is that we have heart and playmakers that can overcome mistakes if they dont get out of hand.

I think are odds of making a run are pretty good. A lot better then the Colts odds.

We are in the tournament: good news
Saints beat the Saints in 4 out of 5 losses: bad news.

Getting our ticket to the playoffs punched guarantees not much more than the best first round draft pick we qualify for is #20.

Do we have Trent Dilfer at the helm like the 02 Bucs?
The 02 Bucs actually had Brad Johnson at the helm...but yeah.

Still I have seen plenty to believe we can get it done. Maybe its time to show that we can win a playoff game on the road and win one in cold weather and the elements.

I see no reason to believe that the Bears, Falcons, or Seahawks are better then us.

Getting our ticket to the playoffs punched guarantees not much more than.
It guarantees we have more of chance to win the Superbowl then the Giants do, and I think thats the important part.

We have an opportunity and we are capable, what more do you need to have all the hope in the world?

9 of the other 11 playoff teams has also dropped bad loses this season, why would you diminish our chances:

Patriots got embarassed by the Browns
Steeler barely beat the Bills in OT
Jets lost to the Dolphins and nearly lost to the Browns in OT
Ravens lost to the Bengals
Colts lost to the Cowboys on many a bad Manning pass
Chiefs lost to the Broncos
Eagles lost to the Redskins and Viqueens
Bears lost to the Seahawks
Packers lost to the Redskins, Dolphins, and Lioins
Seahawks lost to nearly everybody (I think TCU beat the Seahawks)

The only team without a bad lose is the Falclowns and I am sure we can beat them.

It guarantees we have more of chance to win the Superbowl then the Giants do, and I think thats the important part.

We have an opportunity and we are capable, what more do you need to have all the hope in the world?

9 of the other 11 playoff teams has also dropped bad loses this season, why would you diminish our chances:

Patriots got embarassed by the Browns
Steeler barely beat the Bills in OT
Jets lost to the Dolphins and nearly lost to the Browns in OT
Ravens lost to the Bengals
Colts lost to the Cowboys on many a bad Manning pass
Chiefs lost to the Broncos
Eagles lost to the Redskins and Viqueens
Bears lost to the Seahawks
Packers lost to the Redskins, Dolphins, and Lioins
Seahawks lost to nearly everybody (I think TCU beat the Seahawks)

The only team without a bad lose is the Falclowns and I am sure we can beat them.

I have extreme hope. I do not diminish our chances. I think the only thing that can stop us is us. If we get away from what caused us to lose 4 of our 5 games-- self-inflicted wounds-- then the only thing standing in our way is bad weather and an AFC opponent.

People seem to forget about some of the sloppy football we played last year because of the result. There were many games last year where the offense became stagnant and the game was in doubt. The biggest difference between this year and last is defensive touchdowns. People act like we just dominated everyone we played in our 13 win streak last year, and it is simply not true. We barely beat a very bad Rams team, we needed a miracle comeback against a mediocre Miami team, we needed a miracle strip and TD from Meachem to dispatch a pretty bad Washington team, not to mention losing to a horrible TB team, a mediocre Dallas team, and we wont count the Panthers loss cuz we were resting starters. The facts are the ball bounced our way a alot last year, it seems to be the exact opposite this year. Its not like we didnt turn the ball over last year, we turned it over 28 times, but our D created 39 of their own, leaving us at +11. This year the defense has only caused 25 turnovers and we gave it away 31 times leaving them +6. That's only 3 more turnovers than last year, but like I said before, the D just isnt creating the insane amount of turnovers they did last year. Im not knocking the D by this, I think they have played more solid this year, just stating that we arent really turning the ball over that much more than last year. All that being said, this week starts a new season, one where all we need to do is go on a 4 game winning streak and we will be World Champions once again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom