Not Happy with Timing (1 Viewer)

Cowherd said he has source that told him Payton is all in on TV.

I think he would be great for fox pregame. Terry and Jimmy are getting stale. I think Howie and Michael are great. Those three would be entertaining as well as insightful. No need for a fourth person.

Cowherd does not need a source for that. Sean was very enthusiastic talking about a hoped-for opportunity in TV.

When do coaches retire when the team is in top form... Put the puzzle pieces together. He was burn out and he did not want to be part of a rebuild.
Super Bowl winning coach Barry Switzer remembers.

But that and the 49ers when Bill Walsh retired are the only two examples i can think of.

Payton told you what he wanted you to hear. That's the issue. He said he's basically burnt out.

Truth is, he didn't want to be here. Or else, he'd take temporary leave instead of flat out stepping down ("qutting" your job) can still be the term.

That's impossible to see now. But, the moment he takes another HC gig, and so earlier on into this retirement, you're gonna start asking, "then why did you even retire to begin with? You should've just take a temporarily leave for as long as you wanted instead of leaving us."

I think he will take another coaching gig by next season. That's what I feel

Whether or not he takes another HC job in a year or two doesn't mean his decision had anything to do with Winston good or bad and it also doesn't mean that he left for any reason other than being burnt out. In fact, it suggests that he did indeed leave because he was burnt out and wanted to take a break. Teams don't let you take a leave of absence as a head coach. No matter how good that coach is. Can you name a single team that has ever done that?

Payton told you what he wanted you to hear.

Likewise, people are telling themselves what they want to hear. Trying to pin his departure on dissatisfaction of a player or position group, for instance, is doing just that.

But I'm with you, I think he'll be back in coaching, probably sooner than later.

I think what Lance Moore said this morning on a youtube show made a lot of sense. It's an extremely demanding job. Many, many hours, year after year. Probably working 12 hours or more a day for 60% of the year (only guessing there). I'm sure after a decade and a half of that, and now having to do it with much uncertainty since the other pillar of the team, your franchise QB, is gone, I'm sure it just seems exhausting.

Plus, looking at the past 5 years, they've all had the same deflating ending. Keep getting screwed by refs and the league or just flat out come up short. There have been times when I felt like I needed a break, myself. I hate it, and I'm sad to think of the Saints without Payton, but I can sort of understand it. He's exhausted. He's given it everything he's had, and he just wants to take a break. I don't think he's retired for good. He just needs to step back and breathe. That said, I wouldn't expect him to ever land back here as our coach, but I also don't think it's impossible, given his close ties with the organization and having a best friend in Loomis.

He left on great terms. He didn't leave or get fired after consecutive losing seasons, with internal chaos in the organization or the locker room, or any of that. He left a team that still has a stellar staff and the talent to compete if we are lucky enough to replace a few guys with decent candidates. Point is, as bad as it feels, I also realize it could be worse.

This makes me question whether or not Payton believed in Winston as much as us fans did.

Because if he did, and he believes Winston will be elite, why the hell would he want to leave with everything in place?

A great defense, a QB you believed in.

Add an OL, TE, and WR, and you're good.
100%. Payton wouldn’t leave if he thought we were serious SB contenders…regardless if he was really burnt out. Before this you would at least argue that the QBOTF was in house…now I think that argument is a joke. Not saying Jameis won’t be the starter next year, but if he is it’s because we are so scrapped of resources that we can’t do better.

Cowherd said he has source that told him Payton is all in on TV.
Sean said in yesterday's presser that he had a talk with Drew about his decision to step down. No doubt the subject of possibly doing TV came up in that discussion. I can only imagine how informative/encouraging it would have been to hear Drew talk about the reduction of the load that the two had been carrying since 2006 to keep the Saints on top. While the physical demands may have been different for that duo, the mental & emotional struggles they faced each season were certainly massive. Drew's journey to the NBC studio (and booth) must have been a huge relief. Payton may be interested in some of that balm as well.

Likewise, people are telling themselves what they want to hear. Trying to pin his departure on dissatisfaction of a player or position group is doing just that.

But I'm with you, I think he'll be back in coaching, probably sooner than later.

I think he will likely come back to coach somewhere too. But I think he was honest about that. He even said he just wants to take a break and implied that he wanted a new challenge. That would mean coaching another team, but I really doubt that he has any specific job in mind. And, while it would be disappointing for him to coach another team, it's his life and we certainly wouldn't hesitate for call for him to be fired if he did a bad job, so he doesn't owe us anything. In fact, some were calling for him to be fired even while he was doing a great job. We hired an paid him to make us into a winner. And he turned us into a winner beyond the expectation of any fan that was around for the 70's, 80's, and 90's. So, I thank Payton for what he did for us and wish him well whether he returns to coaching or not.

But, yeah, I think people are just angry and looking for reasons why he left and reasons to be mad at Payton. It's eerily similar to having a girlfriend break up with you. Some are in the anger stage of grief.

I think he will likely come back to coach somewhere too. But I think he was honest about that. He even said he just wants to take a break and implied that he wanted a new challenge. That would mean coaching another team, but I really doubt that he has any specific job in mind. And, while it would be disappointing for him to coach another team, it's his life and we certainly wouldn't hesitate for call for him to be fired if he did a bad job, so he doesn't owe us anything. In fact, some were calling for him to be fired even while he was doing a great job. We hired an paid him to make us into a winner. And he turned us into a winner beyond the expectation of any fan that was around for the 70's, 80's, and 90's. So, I thank Payton for what he did for us and wish him well whether he returns to coaching or not.

But, yeah, I think people are just angry and looking for reasons why he left and reasons to be mad at Payton. It's eerily similar to having a girlfriend break up with you. Some are in the anger stage of grief.

Yeah, I agree.

And I'm not trying to be naive here; I do think if Payton believed this team was on the cusp of championship caliber, that very likely would have led to a different outcome (can't be definitive because only he can answer that). I just don't think it comes down to a player or position group. Unless he addresses it, and even then it's a matter of whether people like the answer, we don't know what he thinks about Winston, Hill, or anybody else on his way out. It wasn't that long ago that people on here were posting about how excited he was about Book.

Payton knows the reasons why he left and I'm not entirely convinced we do, though I think the "new challenges" weighs heavily in that.

Payton told you what he wanted you to hear. That's the issue. He said he's basically burnt out.

Truth is, he didn't want to be here. Or else, he'd take temporary leave instead of flat out stepping down ("qutting" your job) can still be the term.

That's impossible to see now. But, the moment he takes another HC gig, and so earlier on into this retirement, you're gonna start asking, "then why did you even retire to begin with? You should've just take a temporarily leave for as long as you wanted instead of leaving us."

I think he will take another coaching gig by next season. That's what I feel.

True. He even said mrs. B even said take to off until training camp and decide. Wish he would have done the “hay, this is my last season with the team and I’m retiring after that.” Clean up the QB and WR mess and not leave the team with those issues. Sorry, but what other boss tells you to take a few months off.

If he wants to be a HC again, I’d hold his contract for multiple 1st round pick or choice of players on that team. Cowboys would be a nonstarter for any amount of picks. AFC team if possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom