Not Happy with Timing (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'll never forget the moment Winston went down and Sean Payton ran on the field to check on him. The look on his face has replayed in my mind over and over all season. I think I even posted about it once.

But Payton had the look of a man that knew the season was over and like he was DONE. It was the first time I ever saw that look on his face before....like he just wanted to quit. I think he held together just to make it thru the season for the team.

I do wish he would stay and see how next year pans out, but when you're tired...you're just tired. I also have no doubt that he probably feels like all his actions/successes are undermined by the league and their blatant vendetta against him.
Great Post.

Reaction score
Well he was asked if he’d open to return when he gets the itch again, and instead of saying yes, he said it wouldn’t be fair to whoever will be coaching here. That doesn’t sound too confident.

Plus, explain this:

I don't know if I believe this b/c I don't think he would have ever left before Brees retired. No way. Now they're may have been discussions but I think that's why he feels like the time is now to leave b/c Brees is gone and he may miss him but I never saw Payton leaving before Brees.

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
I don't know if I believe this b/c I don't think he would have ever left before Brees retired. No way. Now they're may have been discussions but I think that's why he feels like the time is now to leave b/c Brees is gone and he may miss him but I never saw Payton leaving before Brees.
I know you may not believe it.

But, I’m gonna be honest with you.

I didn’t believe the media saying Sean Payton would possibly be gone this year, etc etc. when all of the reports came out earlier last week

Until it became a reality.

Sometimes, media is right lol

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
Well he was asked if he’d open to return when he gets the itch again, and instead of saying yes, he said it wouldn’t be fair to whoever will be coaching here. That doesn’t sound too confident.

Plus, explain this:

If he comes back next year, whoever our coach is would be at the end of year one as HC... it wouldent be fair to come back and say "thanks for taking care of things, now go away".

As for Florio's blatant attempt to drum up book sales and get clicks on his site... I dont see sources.

Florio has written straight up speculative fiction before and passed it off as reporting. A piece long ago about Randy Moss comes to mind.

He and Chris Simms are on the same level as "reporters" IMO. Besides, he is an ardent Vikings fan.

I have seen many SR posts speculating about what is going on internally with the team that have a stiking resembelance too, and as much grounding in reality, as a Florio piece.

Hell my read on Payton's "honesty" in his presser is in that same vein... but at least i am upfront about it being my impression. Florio sells that kind of speculation as inside info (that he certainly does not have).

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
If he comes back next year, whoever our coach is would be at the end of year one as HC... it wouldent be fair to come back and say "thanks for taking care of things, now go away".

As for Florio's blatant attempt to drum up book sales and get clicks on his site... I dont see sources.

Florio has written straight up speculative fiction before and passed it off as reporting. A piece long ago about Randy Moss comes to mind.

He and Chris Simms are on the same level as "reporters" IMO. Besides, he is an ardent Vikings fan.

I have seen many SR posts speculating about what is going on internally with the team that have a stiking resembelance too, and as much grounding in reality, as a Florio piece.

Hell my read on Payton's "honesty" in his presser is in that same vein... but at least i am upfront about it being my impression. Florio sells that kind of speculation as inside info (that he certainly does not have).

Ok, we can agree to disagree. Just one question:

If Sean Payton does indeed come back next year and coaches the Cowboys, would that just a coincidence to you?

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
If you say it is going to rain every year, eventually, even in the desert, you will be right.

But the point is, you probably didn’t believe the media at that point in time either when they were mentioning that Sean Payton may be gone…Am I right?

Basically, at the time when the reports came out that Sean Payton’s future was uncertain, I’m just curious, did you believe the media then?

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
If you say it is going to rain every year, eventually, even in the desert, you will be right.
And that’s the point—it can rain twice in the desert too. Meaning, the media can be right more than once.

They could be right about that time on what Florio wrote and then Undisputed reported it live too. And the media was right again about the future of Payton was uncertain.

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Ok, we can agree to disagree. Just one question:

If Sean Payton does indeed come back next year and coaches the Cowboys, would that just a coincidence to you?
No, if he did it this offseason, then maybe.

I truly believe he has no plan past taking time for himself with his new wife.

But if he takes a year off, feels good, and wants a HC gig on a contender. There are only going to be so many of those spots where the HC is on the hotseat or on the way out. Dallas is likely one of those few spots.

If it is Dallas, then Jones gets to negotiate with Loomis on draft pick compensation.

Reaction score
Again, the only thing, I don't like about his leaving right now is Taysom's contract and he didn't really set up knowing who the future QB would be of the Saints but we all knew the QB question would be there when Drew left, w/ or w/o Payton we would be dealing w/ it. Other than that I feel alot of y'all are stressing over nothing as far as the team is concerned. We have a great organization and great players in house. I'm pretty sure Loomis has a plan. We aren't in some major rebuild situation. Reload at the HC, WR/TE and QB positions, yes. It's not easy, I know but I don't think it's as desperate as some other teams and as some of y'all are making it.

Plus, if you've been paying attention, the team the last two years has been a defensive team and I'm pretty sure the HC job is DA's to lose. Also, the NFC South isn't as strong as it use to be so I'm pretty certain we will be fine in terms of making the playoffs and/or being close like we were this year b/c again we have a good team. We just need another great WR and/or TE (to go along w/ MT) and a starting QB (but honestly I think they'll get Jameis back).

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
But the point is, you probably didn’t believe the media at that point in time either when they were mentioning that Sean Payton may be gone…Am I right?

Basically, at the time when the reports came out that Sean Payton’s future was uncertain, I’m just curious, did you believe the media then?
I pretty much only believe the media when they are presenting observed, verified data, or are directly quoting named sources within the situation they are commenting on.

I wouldent believe a TV weatherman if they told me it was going to rain in the Sahara every day. On the day that it actually finally rained, that event would not add any credibility to their past or future prognostication.

Now if the weatherman had a meterologist on with them who showed the model predicting the rain, that had previously predicted dry days... i would listen.

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
No, if he did it this offseason, then maybe.

I truly believe he has no plan past taking time for himself with his new wife.

But if he takes a year off, feels good, and wants a HC gig on a contender. There are only going to be so many of those spots where the HC is on the hotseat or on the way out. Dallas is likely one of those few spots.

If it is Dallas, then Jones gets to negotiate with Loomis on draft pick compensation.

Great. Agreed to disagree.

I personally still think his true ultimate agenda was either: he just doesn’t want to be here anymore OR it’s because he wants to be in Dallas.

Being burned out for this year can be be legit BUT it can also be part of either of those two higher motives above.

Reaction score
Great. Agreed to disagree.

I personally still think his true ultimate agenda was either: he just doesn’t want to be here anymore OR it’s because he wants to be in Dallas.

Being burned out for this year can be be legit BUT it can also be part of either of those two higher motives above.
Yes, it's a # of things. Being burnt out and maybe needing a new challenge are both valid but also if the man wants the challenge to be coaching for the Cowboys in the next year or two, that's fine as well. It's his choice. He gave us 16 years. I'm like do you boo. Lol.

NewOrleansBoy

Clemson Football Walk-On
Reaction score
I pretty much only believe the media when they are presenting observed, verified data, or are directly quoting named sources within the situation they are commenting on.

I wouldent believe a TV weatherman if they told me it was going to rain in the Sahara every day. On the day that it actually finally rained, that event would not add any credibility to their past or future prognostication.

Now if the weatherman had a meterologist on with them who showed the model predicting the rain, that had previously predicted dry days... i would listen.
Now, I’m just a little bit curious,… What Actually would need to happen for you to believe that and be convinced that Coach Payton wanted to be with the Cowboys? 😂

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Agreed, we disagree. I just object to statements of our speculation on motivations presented as fact. That applies well beyond this subject.

Ha.

Schrödinger's motivation.

Except we never get to see inside the box.

dutar76

5th Year Option
Reaction score
This makes me question whether or not Payton believed in Winston as much as us fans did.

Because if he did, and he believes Winston will be elite, why the hell would he want to leave with everything in place?

A great defense, a QB you believed in.

Add an OL, TE, and WR, and you're good.
The way I see it, if me or you won the powerball, we'd retire immediately. I know I would at least. Well, Sean Payton won the powerball a long time ago. And he's stuck around years after because he wanted it... loved it. After Drew left (and maybe it has something to do with Drew retiring), he didn't want it as much. And I don't think NFL head coach is something you can do at 90%. It's all or nothing and he just didn't have 100% in him anymore. I get it. I went through something like that as a performer. When it was gone, it was just gone. He stuck around another year and gave it all he had, just to see if that fire would re-light. Evidently it didn't. And after all the haymaker-from-way-in-the-back "challenges" he had to navigate an organization through this season, he decided to step away.

I also wonder if he didn't just finally give up fighting the league and officials hell-bent on keeping him and the Saints down. He quit the NFL competition committee this year, and when asked why, he said "it was time" and that he wouldn't say more because he didn't want to have to pay fines. This speaks to me of a man who's had his fill of the BS. I think we've all been there at some job in our life. Difference is that he's had the finances to walk away for a very long time, and most of us have not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines