Not Happy with Timing (1 Viewer)

But the point is, you probably didn’t believe the media at that point in time either when they were mentioning that Sean Payton may be gone…Am I right?

Basically, at the time when the reports came out that Sean Payton’s future was uncertain, I’m just curious, did you believe the media then?
I pretty much only believe the media when they are presenting observed, verified data, or are directly quoting named sources within the situation they are commenting on.

I wouldent believe a TV weatherman if they told me it was going to rain in the Sahara every day. On the day that it actually finally rained, that event would not add any credibility to their past or future prognostication.

Now if the weatherman had a meterologist on with them who showed the model predicting the rain, that had previously predicted dry days... i would listen.

No, if he did it this offseason, then maybe.

I truly believe he has no plan past taking time for himself with his new wife.

But if he takes a year off, feels good, and wants a HC gig on a contender. There are only going to be so many of those spots where the HC is on the hotseat or on the way out. Dallas is likely one of those few spots.

If it is Dallas, then Jones gets to negotiate with Loomis on draft pick compensation.

Great. Agreed to disagree.

I personally still think his true ultimate agenda was either: he just doesn’t want to be here anymore OR it’s because he wants to be in Dallas.

Being burned out for this year can be be legit BUT it can also be part of either of those two higher motives above.

Great. Agreed to disagree.

I personally still think his true ultimate agenda was either: he just doesn’t want to be here anymore OR it’s because he wants to be in Dallas.

Being burned out for this year can be be legit BUT it can also be part of either of those two higher motives above.
Yes, it's a # of things. Being burnt out and maybe needing a new challenge are both valid but also if the man wants the challenge to be coaching for the Cowboys in the next year or two, that's fine as well. It's his choice. He gave us 16 years. I'm like do you boo. Lol.

I pretty much only believe the media when they are presenting observed, verified data, or are directly quoting named sources within the situation they are commenting on.

I wouldent believe a TV weatherman if they told me it was going to rain in the Sahara every day. On the day that it actually finally rained, that event would not add any credibility to their past or future prognostication.

Now if the weatherman had a meterologist on with them who showed the model predicting the rain, that had previously predicted dry days... i would listen.
Now, I’m just a little bit curious,… What Actually would need to happen for you to believe that and be convinced that Coach Payton wanted to be with the Cowboys? 😂

Agreed, we disagree. I just object to statements of our speculation on motivations presented as fact. That applies well beyond this subject.

Ha.

Schrödinger's motivation.

Except we never get to see inside the box.

This makes me question whether or not Payton believed in Winston as much as us fans did.

Because if he did, and he believes Winston will be elite, why the hell would he want to leave with everything in place?

A great defense, a QB you believed in.

Add an OL, TE, and WR, and you're good.
The way I see it, if me or you won the powerball, we'd retire immediately. I know I would at least. Well, Sean Payton won the powerball a long time ago. And he's stuck around years after because he wanted it... loved it. After Drew left (and maybe it has something to do with Drew retiring), he didn't want it as much. And I don't think NFL head coach is something you can do at 90%. It's all or nothing and he just didn't have 100% in him anymore. I get it. I went through something like that as a performer. When it was gone, it was just gone. He stuck around another year and gave it all he had, just to see if that fire would re-light. Evidently it didn't. And after all the haymaker-from-way-in-the-back "challenges" he had to navigate an organization through this season, he decided to step away.

I also wonder if he didn't just finally give up fighting the league and officials hell-bent on keeping him and the Saints down. He quit the NFL competition committee this year, and when asked why, he said "it was time" and that he wouldn't say more because he didn't want to have to pay fines. This speaks to me of a man who's had his fill of the BS. I think we've all been there at some job in our life. Difference is that he's had the finances to walk away for a very long time, and most of us have not.

Now, I’m just a little bit curious,… What Actually would need to happen for you to believe that and be convinced that Coach Payton wanted to be with the Cowboys? 😂
If he is named their HC this offseason, or buys a home in Dallas during the season. I would think it was probable, though still speculative.

The way I see it, if me or you won the powerball, we'd retire immediately. I know I would at least. Well, Sean Payton won the powerball a long time ago. And he's stuck around years after because he wanted it... loved it. After Drew left (and maybe it has something to do with Drew retiring), he didn't want it as much. And I don't think NFL head coach is something you can do at 90%. It's all or nothing and he just didn't have 100% in him anymore. I get it. I went through something like that as a performer. When it was gone, it was just gone. He stuck around another year and gave it all he had, just to see if that fire would re-light. Evidently it didn't. And after all the haymaker-from-way-in-the-back "challenges" he had to navigate an organization through this season, he decided to step away.

I also wonder if he didn't just finally give up fighting the league and officials hell-bent on keeping him and the Saints down. He quit the NFL competition committee this year, and when asked why, he said "it was time" and that he wouldn't say more because he didn't want to have to pay fines. This speaks to me of a man who's had his fill of the BS. I think we've all been there at some job in our life. Difference is that he's had the finances to walk away for a very long time, and most of us have not.

I agree 100% and I get all that.

What I’m trying to understand is the hypothetical, that if he indeed comes back next year, then can you literally get it all back-the passion and everything you listed, in less than a year just like that?

Idk, that seems fishy to be honest

If he is named their HC this offseason, or buys a home in Dallas during the season. I would think it was probable, though still speculative.
Which is exactly why he will literally wait an entire year so it’s less eyebrow raising when he coaches them next year lol. That’s why he’s not doing anything this off-season with head coaching. That’s my whole point.

You just said if he did anything this off season, you would be speculative. If I was him, I would wait an entire year too lol if I wanted to coach somewhere else because then it will be less speculative based on how I’m interpreting on how you’re putting it

But agree to disagree

Last edited:
I agree 100% and I get all that.

What I’m trying to understand is the hypothetical, that if he indeed comes back next year, then can you literally get it all back, the passion, everything you listed, in less than a year?

Idk, that seems fishy to be honest
"I don't like the word retirement. Mr. B didn't like it either. He always said retirement's overrated. We get sold this whole image of retirement by these investment groups on TV and golf courses and retirement. I still have a vision for doing things in football. And I'll be honest with you, that might be coaching again, at some point. I do not think it is this year, I think maybe in the future, but that's not where my heart is right now."

"I don't like the word retirement. Mr. B didn't like it either. He always said retirement's overrated. We get sold this whole image of retirement by these investment groups on TV and golf courses and retirement. I still have a vision for doing things in football. And I'll be honest with you, that might be coaching again, at some point. I do not think it is this year, I think maybe in the future, but that's not where my heart is right now."
Won’t stop fans like me from eyebrow raising when he starts to have the itch again the year that his contract ends with the Saints. Too much of a Coincidence

Won’t stop fans like from eyebrow raising when he starts to have the itch again the year that his contract ends with the Saints.
Maybe so. That would be like 3 years from now? I think it could happen sooner than that if he gets the "itch". I wouldn't even be mad. He gave us 16 years of sometimes good, sometimes great football. The best 16 years this organization has ever had. And he did not leave in a bad way. An unexpected and abrupt way, but not a bad way.

Even if he comes back next year to coach Dallas. I won't hold that against him. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants. I personally don't think that's his plan, listening to him talk and reading his words, but I guess it's possible. Who knows? And why should any of us really care? Now if Mickey were to do Sean and Jerry Jones a solid and waive the Saints rights to him with no compensation... I'd be mad as hell at Mickey! I wouldn't be mad at Sean though.

The timing does almost force the front office to hire from within, since there isn't much time for a search and it would be awkward to pass on those who have been loyal and are getting interest elsewhere. It wouldn't necessarily be bad but kinda feels like we'd get Sean Payton-Lite and basically just an overall less imposing team.
I’d be surprised if Allen wasn’t the top option even if all options were on the table. FYI…all options are on the table because no other team has hired a coach yet

Maybe so. That would be like 3 years from now? I think it could happen sooner than that if he gets the "itch". I wouldn't even be mad. He gave us 16 years of sometimes good, sometimes great football. The best 16 years this organization has ever had. And he did not leave in a bad way. An unexpected and abrupt way, but not a bad way.

Even if he comes back next year to coach Dallas. I won't hold that against him. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants. I personally don't think that's his plan, listening to him talk and reading his words, but I guess it's possible. Who knows? And why should any of us really care? Now if Mickey were to do Sean and Jerry Jones a solid and waive the Saints rights to him with no compensation... I'd be mad as hell at Mickey! I wouldn't be mad at Sean though.
One thing that’s not being addressed here is…if he’s just coming back next year to coach the Cowboys like you mentioned could be one of the scenarios, then WHY the hell is he wanting and leaving the Saints in the first place to just to come back to coach another team?

It can’t be normal to step away, and only to return the following year for a new team? I can’t be the only that is raising an eyebrow to that, right? That’s not normal. I’m not going crazy here, right? Because if what you’re saying is true and that he may come back sooner than later to coach another team, then how is that just normal and fine? You don’t see the eye brow raising in that scenario?

Last edited:
One thing that’s not being addressed here is…if he’s just coming back next year to coach the Cowboys like you mentioned could be one of the scenarios, then WHY the hell is leaving the Saints in the first place just to come back to coach another team?
Is he coming back next year to coach the cowboys? I watched the presser and have read the entire transcript of his speech and he never said that. I brought it up as a hypothetical, because that seems to be the worry of many Saints fans. Who knows? Maybe they're right and that's what happens.

But taking Sean at his word, he needs some time away. Maybe for good, maybe for a few years, maybe for one year. He said he doesn't know. He thinks he'd like to coach again someday, but that's "not in his heart right now".

Fair enough. Go take some time off coach and if you end up back in football, I'd love for it to be here. But if it's somewhere else, I'll just have to root against you at least some of the time. Especially if it's Dallas... with all due respect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom