Not Happy with Timing (1 Viewer)

True. He even said mrs. B even said take to off until training camp and decide. Wish he would have done the “hay, this is my last season with the team and I’m retiring after that.” Clean up the QB and WR mess and not leave the team with those issues. Sorry, but what other boss tells you to take a few months off.

If he wants to be a HC again, I’d hold his contract for multiple 1st round pick or choice of players on that team. Cowboys would be a nonstarter for any amount of picks. AFC team if possible.

Sometimes you just have to realize that she's just not that into you anymore and move on.

The timing was never going to be good but I just don't think anyone saw this coming.
There was a warning sign. When he didn't have his after season ends presser immediately
I started to wonder and worry, with that being said sometimes change is good for both sides.
I think his best days as a "Saints coach" were behind him. As I stated on a previous post for
whatever reason his recent "playoff" teams underperformed.....too many mistakes, penalties
and turnovers despite an abundance of talent.

The timing does almost force the front office to hire from within, since there isn't much time for a search and it would be awkward to pass on those who have been loyal and are getting interest elsewhere. It wouldn't necessarily be bad but kinda feels like we'd get Sean Payton-Lite and basically just an overall less imposing team.

The timing does almost force the front office to hire from within, since there isn't much time for a search and it would be awkward to pass on those who have been loyal and are getting interest elsewhere. It wouldn't necessarily be bad but kinda feels like we'd get Sean Payton-Lite and basically just an overall less imposing team.

Agree with this. That's why I'm so salty toward the idea of promoting DA and running it back with our staff. They don't deserve to be fired, but we'll basically be a Sean Payton team without Sean. Which will be a failure, ultimately. If he's gone, we need to move on and get a new face and new system in place. Sean's staff running Sean's system will just be meh, is the vibe I have.

I don't think DA will ever be able to shake the "substitute teacher" feel from his players. Just my opinion.

Sometimes you just have to realize that she's just not that into you anymore and move on.
Oh, I’ve moved on. It’s business, not personal. The more we can get out of the situation the better.

Agree with this. That's why I'm so salty toward the idea of promoting DA and running it back with our staff. They don't deserve to be fired, but we'll basically be a Sean Payton team without Sean. Which will be a failure, ultimately. If he's gone, we need to move on and get a new face and new system in place. Sean's staff running Sean's system will just be meh, is the vibe I have.

I don't think DA will ever be able to shake the "substitute teacher" feel from his players. Just my opinion.
It’s a valid opinion. My only argument is that the past few years, we weren’t even the typical Sean Payton team. We were a ball control offense, and stingy defense. We have a question mark at QB and other offensive areas that have to be answered. Therefore, I think whoever is head coach and OC could honestly go in any direction they want offensively and keep much of the same formula on defense. With a decent QB and some changes in offensive philosophy, who knows? I feel like yes, I’m sure Payton’s tendencies rubbed off on people, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have their own vision. I know, I’m just trying to be hopeful here.

That
But Payton said yesterday that he thought about retiring at the start of training camp so it sounds like he was really just ready to go no matter what happened this year.
This part and the “telling yourself you’ll take better care of yourself, stop working at 2am comment. You look at the clock and it’s 2:30am.”

He needs to step back. There will never be a good time to walk. I’m glad to see it happening before he has a stroke or heart attack.

I’ll gladly clap and cheer when he brings his new team into the Dome and boo their behinds off for 60 minutes of Gametime. He would expect no less of us as fans.

Keep in mind we're stacked on D and really only a few pieces away on offense from being a decent team. Superbowl caliber? No....but not bottom of the barrel either. Think if sean stayed how would you feel about the upcoming season? I choose to think that any decent coach will be able to do something with what we have and you know our front office will do everything in their power to give them the tools they need.
This is why I am not super stressed. Our defense is playing stout.

If JW comes back and actually plays above average and we add a stud WR, I think we are alright. I don't think we will trade away any stars. There's too much talent to waste in rebuilding.

He left on great terms. He didn't leave or get fired after consecutive losing seasons, with internal chaos in the organization or the locker room, or any of that. He left a team that still has a stellar staff and the talent to compete if we are lucky enough to replace a few guys with decent candidates. Point is, as bad as it feels, I also realize it could be worse.
I hope ESPN or the like does a deep dive in just what SP achieved THIS YEAR.

With so much going on in a negative way, for SP to coach this year's team to a winning record is phenomenal!

Esp not only beating GB handily but TB **twice** in dominating fashion with backup QB's!!!

What I am hoping with the timing is that there is not more coming out about this Gruden email thing. It 'appears' that the NFL got what they want with Gruden...but I am just curious what else will get uncovered if this thing ends up in court.

This makes me question whether or not Payton believed in Winston as much as us fans did.

Because if he did, and he believes Winston will be elite, why the hell would he want to leave with everything in place?

A great defense, a QB you believed in.

Add an OL, TE, and WR, and you're good.

I'll never forget the moment Winston went down and Sean Payton ran on the field to check on him. The look on his face has replayed in my mind over and over all season. I think I even posted about it once.

But Payton had the look of a man that knew the season was over and like he was DONE. It was the first time I ever saw that look on his face before....like he just wanted to quit. I think he held together just to make it thru the season for the team.

I do wish he would stay and see how next year pans out, but when you're tired...you're just tired. I also have no doubt that he probably feels like all his actions/successes are undermined by the league and their blatant vendetta against him.

Likewise, people are telling themselves what they want to hear. Trying to pin his departure on dissatisfaction of a player or position group, for instance, is doing just that.

But I'm with you, I think he'll be back in coaching, probably sooner than later.
I don’t think it’s because of his dissatisfaction of a player or position group that made him want to departure.

I just don’t think he wants to be here anymore. It’s okay to accept that.

The reports of him asking for a trade in 2019 to the Cowboys kinda gave it away.

If, he returns next year and coaches the Cowboys, is it not beyond reason that he wanted to coach the Cowboys the entire time when he was stepping away?

Maybe it’s actually a personal decision for him.

Dude has been through a lot. Being Goodells punchin balls for 15+ years including a one year suspension goes on your nerves

And then there is always the heartbroken feeling that he might not have overcome after Brees left.
He gave it a try this year, but I assume his job didn’t get any easier.

Adding the adversity he had to deal with this year, and suddenly its not about the millions of dollars in his contract or the actual state of the team.

It’s just a man close to his 60s who gave is life to a sport and a franchise, that has every right so get some stress relief and step away from that monumental pressure je had to live through for decades!

THANK YOU SEAN!
No no that’s fine.

I’m asking from the point of view of him stepping away this year, and him returning to coach the Cowboys next year.

If he’s stepping away for all the reasons you named above, then fine. BUT, that would mean it requires more than just 1 year to finally be stress free.

So if he comes back next year to coach the Cowboys, none of the reasons on why he’s stepping away makes sense.

Whether or not he takes another HC job in a year or two doesn't mean his decision had anything to do with Winston good or bad and it also doesn't mean that he left for any reason other than being burnt out. In fact, it suggests that he did indeed leave because he was burnt out and wanted to take a break. Teams don't let you take a leave of absence as a head coach. No matter how good that coach is. Can you name a single team that has ever done that?
Maybe we’re miscommunicating.

I was strictly answering the fact that you said “Sean told you why he is leaving”

I mean, I hear you. I hear why or what he’s telling me. All I’m saying is that you can’t disregard hidden agendas.

If I’m burnt out, then I wouldn’t want to coach next year either… So, let’s see if he does end up coachin the Cowboys next year, then is that not something fishy?

If he’s stepping away for all the reasons you named above, then fine. BUT, that would mean it requires more than just 1 year to finally be stress free.
Hows that?

Ive stepped away from work for a 4 day weekend to the beach after being burnt out and stressed. I had daily reflux and stress headaches for a few months running, but when i came back my head was clear and I was low stress and productive for at least a year before I started to feel weighed down again.

Everyone and every situation is different. Sean could never feel ready to come back, or he could look up sometime this November and say, "I feel great, whats next?".

To me, his timeline for stepping away will have no bearing on my belief that he really is burned out, needs to step away, and has no idea what is mext in life.

There is no hidden agenda.

If he does want to come back in the next three years to coach, his new team (if its not us) will have to trade for him anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom