Not interested in Crumpler? (1 Viewer)

I know sometimes good players become available, but I think the Saints believe they have very capable players, Crumpler is obvioiusly better than Johnson, but its not a pressing need for us, were not gonna go after everybody thats cut lose, and Crumpler would command more money than Johnson and Miller combined...I say we stand pat....but you dont really hear about us going after anybody do you?.... I think there's a reason for that.....

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61778

My take

Obviously we all have varied opinions about what the Saints should do. My thoughts/issue is that while I agree that you should look to your own players and build through the draft, you also HAVE to look into bringing in free agents.

Let's be honest, the Saints didn't exactly light it up last offseason with draft OR free agents. My personal opinion is they were comfortable with the players on the team from the previous year with the NFC championship run and it came back to bite them in the rear.

You can only get by so long with so so drafting and a bunch of mid tier guys. Does that mean I want them to sign everyone available or give $100 million to say Samuel? No not at all but you have to continue to evaluate and bring players in. I think we would all say that there are MANY positions on this team that could be upgraded.

My opinion is that just the draft will NOT push this team to the next level. There is a good nucleus on this team but with each passing season the window of guys such as Brees, Brown, Smith and others to continue to play "in their prime" shrinks and you have to push to make your runs.

In closing I'll take Zach Thomas and Crumpler for example. IF and only IF they are healthy enough to pass a physical, they are light years ahead of anyone on the Saints roster at those positions and you have to try and make a play for guys like that to upgrade.

I know the opinions from others will come and the sarcastic posts but hey it's your thoughts. We are all Saints fans or we wouldn't come to this site for info and to discuss things. Have a great day!
RIchard

People who think you should build through the draft think people who like the free agent approach dont like draft picks and visa versa, but I think we all agree that you have to do both, i'm a fan of building through the draft, but with that being said, I think if there is a player that can give you an immediate return on your investment (money) then you should go after him, but at the same time, it shouldnt make the draft that less important, it comes to the point were it appeared that the Saints were just picking players cause they were up (we havent have a real good drafting history for this franchise) and in free agency we never could attract those guys who would get us over the hump and turn us into consistent challengers in our division (atleast) but I think thats were the Draft come in, I think if you want to attract these kinda guys, you have to show your an organization that knows what its doing, and I think having successfull drafts getting guys who not only make the team but provide a foundation and nucleous will only make these free agents want to be Saints, cause they see how we do it over here.

He said he wanted to be on a team that could win i think green bay will be his choice out of that crew. I would be willing to bet a small wager that he will sign with green bay.

I agree

I agree with your post. Yes you have to do both and you have to do it well. I am all for the approach in the draft is you do not reach for a player. What good is it , to me anyway, say hey, we are sitting here at #10 and we really really need a cornerback. We look at our board and the highest rated CB we have available is rated by us as the 28th best player. Most people will say trade back. Well, you have to have a trade partner and you have to get value. Others say, we need the corner, take the guy. I want to know how we could expect this guy to come in and REALLY make a difference? I say take that stud you have on your board regardless of position.

Worst case is he'll prolly pan out better and give you leverage in years to come.

Rich

I dont know about that, we pass up alot of players who turn into good pro's not selecting them because of "value"? who cares, who thought half the players who are stars in this league would be stars? most arent even 1st round picks, they were selected because of there talent and production, thats all that matters to me, the Draft is a popularity contest....ofcourse that doesnt mean draft a UDFA in the 3rd cause you want him (dont be stupid) but I'd take a guy projected to go 5-10 spots later than just getting a guy who the consensus thinks should be chosen there....I remembe when the Bills selected Whitner #10 overall, people had him rated as a top 20 pick, but the Bills wanted the guy, they woudlnt of gotten him in the second...this value stuff and "reach" stuff is strange to me, cause I just dont see how you get better picking value over need, if you want the guy and he grades out to be worth whatever round your selecting, take him, why does it matter (besides the financial) that he is a low first rounder, we dont pick in the low first round, we pick in the high first round, and this is the guy who we want....

Concur....

Agreed. We draft for the future and go after Free Agency for the here and now. I think we always take a chance in FA with players and their injury history... but... they come to the table with a proven NFL track record. Draftees can not make that claim and we usually draft on promised potential. That's why it is soooo important that the front office has personnel with an eye toward talent and laser vision to cut through the crap an personal agent might be putting up on a free agent.

And because of that.... I thnik at the end of the day I think we might very well miss Russ Ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom