Not meant to be a morbid question.... (1 Viewer)

UK SAINTS

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
...but what would happen if one of the primary presidential candidates died prior to the respective conventions? For example,if McCain died (either before or after getting the required number of delegate votes), would Romney and others have the chance to get back into the race? Or would Huckabee then be the front runner? Could the delegates then wait until the convention and cast their votes for whomever they pleased?

I only picked McCain because he is the eldest. But what if something happened to Hillary? Or Obama?

I think his delegates would be free to vote for anyone, not just Huckabee or Romney. My guess is that it would be neither, since both are relatively unpopular. They could get together and vote for Newt Gingrich or Jeb Bush or Larry Craig if they wanted to (I think).

At 72, McCain has an actuarial lief expectancy of perhaps 17 more years, and is crustily cogent to the extent that an ex-military pilot can be.

The age issue vis McCain is a red herring, although the physical contrast with Obama will be striking on that issue. He does have a history of malignant melanoma, probably the lentigo type given his face site and age. Caught early, that's a red herring too.

I expect nothing to be left off the table. Given the electoral stakes, both candidates will be trashed. An uplifting campaign is fantasy when millions are spent.

The delegates may as well be dead also if this is the drawpool.

I was merely trying to illustrate the freedom that the delegate would have under that scenario.

I think that scenario could happen regardless of the death of a candidate. For instance, if Hillary comes back to essentially tie Obama and they go to the convention deadlocked, it's concievable that someone like Al Gore (or anyone) could get the nomination.

I think his delegates would be free to vote for anyone, not just Huckabee or Romney. My guess is that it would be neither, since both are relatively unpopular. They could get together and vote for Newt Gingrich or Jeb Bush or Larry Craig if they wanted to (I think).

They could vote for them now if they wanted to..... jus so you know... there are several votes for Mickey Mouse every year.. I am serious.. look it up...

The conventions are just for the partys to send out the best candidate for their party...

...but what would happen if one of the primary presidential candidates died prior to the respective conventions? For example,if McCain died (either before or after getting the required number of delegate votes), would Romney and others have the chance to get back into the race? Or would Huckabee then be the front runner? Could the delegates then wait until the convention and cast their votes for whomever they pleased?

I only picked McCain because he is the eldest. But what if something happened to Hillary? Or Obama?

This is a good question... I assume the loosing candidate from that partys primarys would run but I dont know.....

If it's priory to the convention then the convention can simply select another representative. No one would have the required amount of delegates for an automatic nomination so it'd be a "brokered" convention where they go in the back room and negotiate who runs.

The real question would be what happens if a candidate dies post-convention.

They could vote for them now if they wanted to..... jus so you know... there are several votes for Mickey Mouse every year.. I am serious.. look it up...

The conventions are just for the partys to send out the best candidate for their party...

Yeah, but the political will would have to be there for the convention to overturn the will of the party voters. It's possible, for instance, that were Obama to maintain his lead, there would be enough delegates and super delegates who could be enticed to vote for Hillary or Al Gore or Barney Frank. On the other hand, such a move would likely anger primary voters and could lead them to abandon the party nominee.

That is why the only scenarios where a nominee who does not represent the will of the voters would be selected are:

Death of the presumed nominee
Two candidates are deadlocked and neither side will give in, forcing a third 'compromise' alternative
Huge scandal which renders the presumed nominee unelectable

Just a guess here, but if the nominee dies post-convention I would imagine some kind of makeshirt convention would convene. Since parties can pretty much do whatever they want in terms of nominating a Presidential candidate, it might be possible for the RNC or DNC to select a nominee. I would imagine they would let the elected delegates and super delegate vote though. In the case of the Democrats, if Hillary is the nominee and dies it would likely be Obama who gets the nomination (and vise versa). The Republicans would have to dig a bit deeper since their field is not particularly popular.

LSSpam;959856 The real question would be what happens if a candidate dies post-convention.[/QUOTE said:
That is also a question that I had thought of. I wasn't sure if the VP had already been picked, the VP would AUTOMATICALLY then assume his/her party's nomination or if, as SaintsFan11 speculated, that there would be another emergency convention.

And to address SoonerJim, I'm not to stir up a "scare" or anything.....I just happened to be wondering. In fact, if I had to vote today, it would be for McCain.

If it's priory to the convention then the convention can simply select another representative. No one would have the required amount of delegates for an automatic nomination so it'd be a "brokered" convention where they go in the back room and negotiate who runs.

The real question would be what happens if a candidate dies post-convention.

then chris rock would become president. hasn't this been covered in that movie?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom