not much can be done with only 4.58 mil cap space (1 Viewer)

I couldnt agree more. Day 1 guys, no thanks. By the time most these guys become house hold names and demand huge contracts, they on the downside of thier career anyway. Give me 53 Demarios Davis' 2 or 3 weeks into free agency all day

The reason we have went to the playoffs three straight years after being 7-9 before that is because we stopped rushing out and signing big name guys on day 1.

The mid-tier starters and rotational guys are the ones that will make us better and they get signed a few days from now. That and the draft is coming up.

We bargain shop in free agency. Doesn't matter how much money we got we normally wait for all of the ridiculous contracts to get done before we swoop in and get solid players for good prices.

I just can't understand that logic, guys...Because if that logic holds true about holding back, then they wouldn't have made an offer to Jamie Collins? It's that move that scares me into thinking, well, why did they stop being active now after the Collins interest?

We have players that have large salaries that can be converted to bonus and free up space. We've been doing this for about 10 years, at least.

We'd also start letting some players go, if we had a real upgrade.

don't worry about the cap.

Is this thread the pessimist's inevitable reaction to signing Drew? Are we afraid we can't have nice things?

I just can't understand that logic, guys...Because if that logic holds true about holding back, then they wouldn't have made an offer to Jamie Collins? It's that move that scares me into thinking, well, why did they stop being active now after the Collins interest?

True. The Saints offered a contract but they had their limit, which is why Collins ended up in Detroit. That's the only player that you heard of that they pursued.

So pursuing 1 player (that they did not sign) doesn't change the fact that they are smart shoppers.

Seems like the team is pretty complacent with the roster. Seems like we rather run it back than overhaul. I understand. We are 13-3 btb years. I believe if you don't try to get better. You'll get worse. There isn't much we can do.

I think we are banking on some year 2 and 3 guys to really step up.

True. The Saints offered a contract but they had their limit, which is why Collins ended up in Detroit. That's the only player that you heard of that they pursued.

So pursuing 1 player (that they did not sign) doesn't change the fact that they are smart shoppers.

True. But, I wasn't arguing whether the team is considered "smart shoppers" vs not smart shoppers.

I was arguing that the team have shown to not hold back from day 1 by making offers like the Collins offer.

I think we are banking on some year 2 and 3 guys to really step up.

That's a-lot of faith considering Drew is on his last ride.

Banking on year 2 and 3 guys like we did at the WR positions? That didn't pan out so well!

I'm sorry, I no longer can accept that our current WR unit is good enough to enter the season with.

Same goes with the LB unit. That goes with Anzalone due to injury history and Robertson is a special teamer at best. and losing Klein.

and how does one know that Rankins and Davenport can ever play to their best potential due to career nagging injuries? We can't bank on these chances any more. We need depth here too. Especially at the DE because Hendrickson is a high motor player, but no starter.

Brees came back for a reason. It would not be justice to him by going into the season with our current roster relying on players at positions that clearly were glaring holes from last year and then say, "whatever happen, happens."

Last edited:
And you do realize those moves are only for to prevent this team from getting worse, right?

You can't say re-signing our own players makes this team better than last year's roster. Because technically, they were already on the roster last year. Therefore, these moves so far only prevents us from getting worse.

Now, we to address the roster positions from LAST SEASON'S ISSUES.
Last seasons issues weren't because of the roster...

Seems like the team is pretty complacent with the roster. Seems like we rather run it back than overhaul. I understand. We are 13-3 btb years. I believe if you don't try to get better. You'll get worse. There isn't much we can do.

They can do plenty by restructuring contracts. This happens every year, people complain that they aren't going to do anything before free agency actually opens, and then the team makes several moves over the next couple weeks to improve the roster.

Last seasons issues weren't because of the roster...

Huh? I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say then about the WR unit. Then I'll ask about the LB and Secondary.

The reason we have went to the playoffs three straight years after being 7-9 before that is because we stopped rushing out and signing big name guys on day 1.

The mid-tier starters and rotational guys are the ones that will make us better and they get signed a few days from now. That and the draft is coming up.

Seeing as we’ve tried and failed to get guys like Ndamakong Suh, I say it’s not the reason and more our staff and roster is highly capable regardless of having big priced talent.

Seeing as we’ve tried and failed to get guys like Ndamakong Suh, I say it’s not the reason and more our staff and roster is highly capable regardless of having big priced talent.

I never said we haven't taken shots at day 1 guys. Heck, I was in the minority last year that didn't want to sign Suh and thought that him signing elsewhere saved us from ourselves.

I think that was proven right. We do best when we miss out and sign guys like Davis later vs. trying to break the bank.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom