Not only thought police. Found guilty for a fantasy (2 Viewers)

Planning isn't doing... It's much in the way we let potential terrorists think they are making bombs with bogus parts. Let them attempt the act. Is conceptualizing something a crime?

It sounds like it was more than a fantasy. It sounds like he was actually planning and in the beginning stages of a acting it out. It's hard for me to make the case that this is some sort of free speech violation.

I'm glad they caught him.

Planning isn't doing... It's much in the way we let potential terrorists think they are making bombs with bogus parts. Let them attempt the act. Is conceptualizing something a crime?

talking about it with a pal is conceptualizing.

Taking the time and effort to plan, in detail, how you will accomplish along with actually accepting a "contract" to do it falls out the realm of fantasy and into the real world. He was logging into a restricted access system to compile names of potential targets.

No need to let him "attempt the act"...they had enough evidence to convict him. After all, the evidence had to prove it and fall within the terms of the law. And it did.

If you cannot see past this whole idea of "Minority Report" then I dont know what else to tell you. Maybe you should get a transcript of the trial, review the evidence and then make your conclusion.

talking about it with a pal is conceptualizing.

Taking the time and effort to plan, in detail, how you will accomplish along with actually accepting a "contract" to do it falls out the realm of fantasy and into the real world. He was logging into a restricted access system to compile names of potential targets.

No need to let him "attempt the act"...they had enough evidence to convict him. After all, the evidence had to prove it and fall within the terms of the law. And it did.

If you cannot see past this whole idea of "Minority Report" then I dont know what else to tell you. Maybe you should get a transcript of the trial, review the evidence and then make your conclusion.

I was watching two attorneys on CNN discussing this case last week and they both agreed that his planning still did not constitute a legel precendent to find him guilty, but they said they thought the jury would find him guilty because of the heinous intent. They both also thought if he was found guilty it will be overturned.

If true, many posters on here would be in jail because of gotohell

I was watching two attorneys on CNN discussing this case last week and they both agreed that his planning still did not constitute a legel precendent to find him guilty, but they said they thought the jury would find him guilty because of the heinous intent. They both also thought if he was found guilty it will be overturned.

Until then, I guess the conviction and current incarceration is a mere "fantasy".

huh...ironic.

hrmmm... I just don't know about this case. Yes it is sick, but that is almost like arresting a coach or something for telling his guys to go rip someones head off... I see why they had to do something because of the potential severity of what this could have brought, but what if it was just some sort of fantasy and he never intended to act this out. They have weirdos of all flavors and the internet gets them together, you know doggone well that big brother is watching all of us with our smart phones and IP addresses... honestly they'd be stupid not too... but it is against our rights and we are supposed to be able to say whatever we want to....

hrmmm... I just don't know about this case. Yes it is sick, but that is almost like arresting a coach or something for telling his guys to go rip someones head off... I see why they had to do something because of the potential severity of what this could have brought, but what if it was just some sort of fantasy and he never intended to act this out. They have weirdos of all flavors and the internet gets them together, you know doggone well that big brother is watching all of us with our smart phones and IP addresses... honestly they'd be stupid not too... but it is against our rights and we are supposed to be able to say whatever we want to....

saying it on a message board or thru text i get.

but actually planning the details of how/when/why and then accepting $5000 for kindap/rape and mutilation job.

Thats not free speech.

You want that kind of free speech? What if your wife was the target? Still ok for him to plan every detail of her demise, or would you defend him and his ability to speak freely?

It's called conspiracy. If he had this fantasy and kept it to himself, that's not a crime. But under the law when you involve someone else and take steps toward committing the crime, it's called conspiracy and that's what he was convicted of.

Planning and paying and taking positive steps toward a serious crime have always been punishable by US law. It's why FBI agents set up stings as hit men. They don't wait for the victim to be dead from a real hit man, once the perp hands over cash and proves his intent to have someone killed they can be convicted of conspiring to commit murder. Nothing new here. The guy didn't just fantasize about it at home, he actively engaged others in a plot to make it happen. That's a far cry from fantasy.

I read that he was using NCIC, which is a big no no in of itself. Guy was running (computer check) women and using that to stalk or set up his plan. Guy was very wrong and it gives our profession another black eye. Guy needs to be gone for a long time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom