Not signing Free Agent LB = Another year w/bad corners (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
This is the way I see it:

We need help in many positions, but our biggest needs are at Linebacker, DT and Corner. The only top flight corner in the Free Agent Market is Asante Samuels. Realistically, with his contract demands, we will most likely not sign him and pay that much, which means that we will be forced to sign some bottom tier corners.

Here's where it gets interesting. I believe there are more good DT's in Free Agency than Linebackers and we will sign at least 1 good DT, which leaves LB and Corner. If we don't sign a top flight LB, I believe our #10 pick will be LB Keith Rivers from USC. If we can address the LB position through Free Agency, this will allow us to pick the best corner available. Of course that's if Dorsey and Ellis are gone at 10. If either one is there, we will definately pick on of them.

Unless we use our 10th pick on a corner, we will give up tons of passing yards again next year, so in my opinion, we have to address DT and LB in Free Agency to ensure this happens. Again, this is only my opinion. What do you think? Am I way off?

Ps: What I'd really like to see is us trade for Lito Sheppard, sign at least one good Linebacker and DT in Free Agency, then use the #10 on the best at those 3 positions.

I would love us to get lito but i think they're are a couple good CB's in the second round. But hey your on the right tract. Tommy kelly is a great FA DT and i would love to see briggs or bailey over here

I would love us to get lito but i think they're are a couple good CB's in the second round. But hey your on the right tract. Tommy kelly is a great FA DT and i would love to see briggs or bailey over here

I would just pass out from excitement if we signed Briggs. We MUST sign a LB in Free Agency. Anyone know what Philly would take for Lito?

PASS RUSH is what makes good DB's. Not LB's.

You know......LBers rush the passer too......at least the ones with the talent to do it, which we haven't had in a while.

agreed...Who are the free agent LBs that light a fire for you? And don't say Briggs. He will be a 49er.

I don't see anyone out there.

If your hand was forced, and you had to draft CB at 10, would you really feel comfortable handing over starting duties to any of the top rated CBs in this draft? There's really no #1 consensus guy, and really just a logjam of *potential*. Name your guy and someone will shoot holes in your supposition of why he's worthy of the #10 pick.

Point is; We have HOLES in our defense, obviously. Let's listen to trade offers to pick up more picks, and address said holes. Also, in doing so, we avoid drafting in the top 10 two out of the last three drafts, and consequently, paying massive contracts.

My vote: Trade down. Pick up more picks. Solve more problems, *potentially*.

even if we draft a CB at #1 we'd still give up a ton of passing yards, because rookie CBs traditionally struggle. Aint no one going to come in here their rookie year and shutdown their side of the field.

Address CB in free agency. As my sig. says, our starters are David and Young. Is that not scary? Alternatively, how about David and a rookie as starters--or Young and a rookie as starters? :eek: :omg2: :omg2: :omg2: Would Florence not be an upgrade? Are there other free agent CB's out there? Wouldn't they be upgrades?
Let's see how the actual free agency period shakes out. It would indeed be nice to get a starting MLB from free agency. That's another position where a rookie is likely to have a difficult time.
Then use the draft to shore up the rest of the defense: DT, OLB, S, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom