Not signing Free Agent LB = Another year w/bad corners (2 Viewers)

i'ma just take a wait and see approach, cause its really looking like though we may bring a couple guys in to help the Defense, we will be relying on this draft to stock up the talent that is gonna carry this D for the near future, those first 3 rounds I think will be intended to get guys who can contribute right away and eventually start.

How many times does it have to be posted that Lito will not be traded? That was a false rumor.

I do not believe Briggs will be a 49er. Their system is not a fit for him, and he can really make a name for himself not playing next to someone's shadow, like Urlacher or Willis. I think we should break the bank for him. It would be much cheaper than Samuels and we would still have considerable room to fill other needs. However, he is WLB and I really hope we draft Keith Rivers if he is there when we pick. He is the guy I have been drooling over, along with the two DT's who won't be there unless something bizarre happens like Houston passing on Bush and Miami passing on Quinn. My draft board would be Ellis, Dorsey, Long, and Rivers. If all of those are gone, I don't really care who they pick. Corner will not be found in free agency and not at the 10th pick this year. I say take care of the LB position and do the best we can at DT. Let the chips fall where they may at CB and hope to get a quality safety somewhere down the road. Maybe the Jets cut Dewayne Robertson and we get him in our 4-3 where he belongs. I would trade our first this year and a conditional pick next year for both Robertson and Vilma. That would make my day.

Good points guys.

I think our biggest need is at CB with McKenzie's injury being considered. We need 2 starting CBs. We need a MLB. Then we need a DT. As previously stated, CBs usually struggle their rookie year, while a LB can come in and be productive, even dominating. I really think we need to sign a FA CB to be a starter, then draft a LB in round one, CB in round 2 to develop into a starter by year 2 or 3. Maybe Young can step up this season to be our other starter. We have so many holes on defense, I really dont care who they draft as long as its a CB, LB, or DT in the first 3 rounds in any order.

My draft board would be Ellis, Dorsey, Long, and Rivers. If all of those are gone, I don't really care who they pick. Corner will not be found in free agency and not at the 10th pick this year. I say take care of the LB position and do the best we can at DT. Let the chips fall where they may at CB and hope to get a quality safety somewhere down the road.

Completely agree. If we're really talking about improving the D and possibly having a shot at the big show again then unless the FO can come up with a very clever way of getting hold of DeAngelo Hall without sacrificing much (which seems seems unlikely, particularly as the Falcons won't want him to go to us) I think we wait. In what is a widely documented deep class of CBs we shouldn't get pressured into taking a CB with *potential* at #10 when we can take a good LB or DT and get a promising Corner or two later in the draft.

Fellas. I think that if we are looking to cure our CB woes throught the draft, we are in trouble. In recent history, fery few CB's (that are drafted early) make an impact in the NFL, in their initial years.

CB has to be cured via free agency.

Also, I am very pesimistic about the front offices urgency regarding DT and LB. There were some quality names being thrown around these past 2 weeks and kudos to the front office for getting Zach to visit, but I would have been on the phone with every player cut and every GM who is dangling trade bait out there. We could have had at least 2 of these positions filled by now (LB, DT or CB).

We have some serious problems on defense and I can't help but feel that Coach is constantly peeking in at his offense and only worried about that side of the ball. We have signed a WR, a kicker and QB so far this offseason. The thought of Jason David as our #2 CB again makes me want to vomit.

I know that I will get blasted with the following, so let me save you all the trouble:

a) free agency hasn't even begun yet!

to which i answer, yes it has. We are not going to see more significant cuts than we have already seen. You won't open the paper on Saturday and see more than you do now. If you are banking on final cuts in July and August, good luck.

b) You build through the draft!

Agreed. However you start your veterens and once the drafted players are seasoned, then you replace the vets with the younger players. Are we saying that we are going to start a rookie, CB, LB and DT? Are you even certain that Payton is going to do this in rounds 1, 2 and 3?

Personally, I will not be shocked to see 2 of our first 3 picks be offensive players. I am starting to think that Payton is only worried about "his side of the ball".

I'd like to see Landon Johnson from the Bengals in a Saints uniform. He's very much the type of player our team is going after - and isn't the type of player that belongs on the Bengals. I believe the Bengals realize he's unhappy there as they've never really given him an honest shake, as they've tried to draft over him 3 times, and all 3 times he came out on top. He can play all 3 linebacker positions, and was really one of the only good players on the Bengals D.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom