Not so Super: Can the New Orleans Saints get their Dome swagger back? (1 Viewer)

mrwhodat

Saintiac
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not so Super: Can the New Orleans Saints get their Dome swagger back? - Canal Street Chronicles

Since the end of 2013, the Saints have been fairly disappointing at home. A combined 7-11 record in front of the Dome crowd from 2014 to now isn’t what fans expect to see, and it’s easy to place blame on the defense. Since 2014, the Saints have allowed 31 points per game while scoring an average of 28 points in their past 18 home stands.

After digging a little deeper, I found it interesting that the Saints have started with the ball first in 15 of their last 18 home games. They’ve had 44 total drives in the first quarter, and Sean Payton’s methodology of starting with the ball isn’t exactly proven. If you take the games in which they started with the ball (15), then the Saints breakdown has been six touchdowns, a field goal, three turnovers, five punts, and one turnover on downs. So, you can look at it like the Saints have a 47 percent success rate (7-for-15).

I always hated receiving the ball to start a game. Getting the ball to start the second half can be a game changer. Score right before the half, score again to start the second half, sometimes you can take a team's heart right out of a game this way. I much rather get the ball to start the second half. Just saying.

I know it's frustrating when the defense gives up some plays throughout the game, but I encourage all fans who attend the game to stay engaged and loud whenever the opposing offense is on the field. It does make a difference. Last week, our fan crowd in San Diego was louder and more enthusiastic late into the game than any recent home games I can remember. Maybe it was people coming together for Drew or maybe it was just the way the audio was broadcast. But we could feel the energy our fans were pumping into that game. Let's do that at home and do what we can to support the team. The rest is up to them.

Looks like since 2014, if we had the lead going into halftime, then we went on to win the game (excluding 2 games).

I surely miss chalking up a W before our games in the dome.

My daughter went the first 10 years of her life -- I think 32 games before seeing the Saints lose at home. Since then she's like 2 and 4.

Still, 34 and 4 was the opposite of what I saw growing up.

I always hated receiving the ball to start a game. Getting the ball to start the second half can be a game changer. Score right before the half, score again to start the second half, sometimes you can take a team's heart right out of a game this way. I much rather get the ball to start the second half. Just saying.

I created a thread during the 2014 season (I think, coulda been last year...not like there was much difference in how the seasons went).....about how I noticed teams were winning coin tosses and deferring to the second half when playing the Saints. There was a time when a team would have been considered nuts to put the Saints offense on the field immediately. I knew at that point that the perception of the Saints had changed.

The Saints can most certainly regain that Dome swagger. But they must first fix that embarrassing defense. Its a crying shame that we're just wasting a talent like Drew Brees because the defense can't seem to stop anyone. Fix the D, and we have Dome swagger. :hihi:

The turning point at home was when jimmy graham hail mary got called back vs the 49ers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom