Not the only person noticing the quality of the 2016 draft (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday I was asked "why are you so sure this draft class is good" We'll just look at the production from the guys drafted. There's enough quotes in here to cement the thought process. With that being said if you are adamant on complaining about the last 5 drafts then this will do nothing to change your mind. If you are excited about the changes made then this only confirms we are starting to see some tangible results from the efforts the Saints Brass made after the horrendous 2014 season.

Enjoy

Every player the Saints drafted, except Daniel Lasco and injured Sheldon Rankins, has played at least 40 percent of the teams snaps. Even the environmental science major and supposed project player, David Onyemata, has quietly played in 41 percent of the Saints defensive snaps, while Vonn Bell has seen action in63 percent of them.

Remember in 2014 when the Saints secondary was terrible, had injuries, and yet second round pick Stanley Jean-Baptiste couldn't sniff the field? It was a terrible sign the Saints would rather sign guys off the street then play their high draft choice. The 2014 Saints desperately needed any cornerback with a pulse to help get them to 8 wins and a division title, and they looked everywhere, except to the guy they spent a high pick on

Is it ideal to have VonnBell playing a huge part in a Saints secondary? No, as he's struggled a lot, but then you see that third down stop he made in Kansas City and think, "Yeah. He's got a decent shot to be good." David Onyemata has been mostly quiet but there was a moment in San Diego where he just destroyed a Charger offensive lineman and suddenly you see the reason the Saints moved up to get him.

Oh and Michael Thomas leads all rookies in receptions, yards, yards per game, touchdowns, first downs, and 20yard pass-plays. Thomas isn't going to be amazing soon, he's amazing NOW. He's on pace for 96 catches for 1,165 yards and 8 touchdowns.

So let's recap the Saints 2016 draft: They drafted a potentially transcendent receiver, a starting safety, a long-term project defensive tackle who's already playing, and a running back who was looking good on special teams and before he got hurt was getting snaps on offense. All of that, and the supposed crown jewel of the draft, Sheldon Rankins, is scheduled to be back very soon.

Potentially, it's a heck of a draft Saints, now go do it again in 2017

Forecast: Did the Saints actually have a good draft | wwltv.com

I just have a feeling Rankins is going to eat the 49ers up. I can't wait to watch him play and what this dline does with Fairley and Rankins rushing from the interior.

At the very least it is successful, and there's not a good argument to the contrary. Nobody has been cut, and everyone has contributed, not counting the injured Rankins. Thomas shows signs of being a star. It could be better than last year's draft.

Nope which is why the people on the board screaming about blowing it up and firing everyone because Loomis can't pick talent are so ridiculous. This year is the first for the new talent scouting and choosing group. It's very good and it shows. Last year was hit or miss. Some good, some injured but lots of potential. The last two years have been very good, and if Williams, Swann, Kikaha can come back from injuries and Anthony can grow intot
He starting role, this defense will have the pieces to be really really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the very least it is successful, and there's not a good argument to the contrary.

Whether or not its a good one, there's always an argument to the contrary. You just have to treat it like Mad Libs and find a way to fit the following into the post:

held accountable, clean house, call it like I see it, black and gold glasses, Rob Ninkovich, dead money, Joe Vitt.

Now that they are having solid rookie seasons, next year let's switch Michael Thomas to TE, Lasco to FB, Rankins to DE, Onyemata to TE, and Vonn to corner. :aargh:

I just have a feeling Rankins is going to eat the 49ers up. I can't wait to watch him play and what this dline does with Fairley and Rankins rushing from the interior.

Don't get too excited about Rankins in his first game. If anything his head may be swimming a bit and he is coming back from an injury so it might take him some time to get his feet wet. We can't expect him to play like he hasn't missed a beat. He hasn't played a down yet but I hope he's licking his chops to get in some real playing time. He'll learn like the rest of the kids have..........:9:

I have no doubt that he can be a stud but it might take a little time for it to show up.

Don't get too excited about Rankins in his first game. If anything his head may be swimming a bit and he is coming back from an injury so it might take him some time to get his feet wet. We can't expect him to play like he hasn't missed a beat. He hasn't played a down yet but I hope he's licking his chops to get in some real playing time. He'll learn like the rest of the kids have..........:9:

I have no doubt that he can be a stud but it might take a little time for it to show up.

correct. I am glad he is going to be able to get some much needed reps in actual games that can only help with his development and not miss an entire year and be that much further behind. He will probably show some burst and make a couple of plays after trusting that his leg will be strong enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom