Notes from Payton's presser and a radio interview with Vaccaro on his being a Saint (1 Viewer)

Broknbusted

Saints fan in Eagle land
Reaction score
Some notes from Sean Payton's press conference on the pick:

Stated they had 2 other players ahead of Vaccaro, but they both were taken. Received no calls about trading down. Said they really didn't want to move down, but would have considered it if all three of their choices had been taken.

Sean Payton asked how he sees Vaccaro as a blitzer. Said he thinks he's very intelligent and instinctive, has 'high football IQ.' Payton said he didn't see Vaccaro being used to pressure often but played slot, played back and brings physical dimension.

Payton said it's important to identify players you have vision for fitting your team. Said that about Vaccaro a few times. Payton said he wont speculate on what this means for Roman Harper, others. Said there will be competition at S and nickel.

"We watched every snap (Kenny Vaccaro) played at Texas...he has very good football intelligence"

Payton liked the way Vaccaro 'carried' his coverage against dynamic West Virginia WR Tavon Austin among others.

Payton said a big reason why Vaccaro didnt have a lot of INTs was because he was playing so much in slot.

Payton said he didn't see Vaccaro being used to pressure often but played slot, played back and brings physical dimension.

Here's a good interview with Vaccaro and becoming a Saint on SXM:
https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/kenny-vaccaro-on-sxm-nfl-radio

Now I'm curious to know who were the other two other players? Jordan and Mingo?

I think one was Lotulelei and we would have taken him had Carolina not picked him.

the 2 guys on the board that got picked before vaccaro that we had higher than vaccaro I would say Mingo and Star. But our D badly needs a SS that can cover, and we got one. Just like payton said, he did phenominal on tavon austin.

SS was a bigger need than OLB, not that anyone likes bleach report but they have him rated as the 15th best outside linebacker in the NFL since he isnt behind spencer anymore and will be a starter. I like our depth at OLB with galette butler tez, and if we can get someone like jamie collins in the 3rd or corey lemonier in the 4th im happy

Some notes from Sean Payton's press conference on the pick:

Stated they had 2 other players ahead of Vaccaro, but they both were taken. Received no calls about trading down. Said they really didn't want to move down, but would have considered it if all three of their choices had been taken.

Sean Payton asked how he sees Vaccaro as a blitzer. Said he thinks he's very intelligent and instinctive, has 'high football IQ.' Payton said he didn't see Vaccaro being used to pressure often but played slot, played back and brings physical dimension.

Payton said it's important to identify players you have vision for fitting your team. Said that about Vaccaro a few times. Payton said he wont speculate on what this means for Roman Harper, others. Said there will be competition at S and nickel.

"We watched every snap (Kenny Vaccaro) played at Texas...he has very good football intelligence"

Payton liked the way Vaccaro 'carried' his coverage against dynamic West Virginia WR Tavon Austin among others.

Payton said a big reason why Vaccaro didnt have a lot of INTs was because he was playing so much in slot.

Payton said he didn't see Vaccaro being used to pressure often but played slot, played back and brings physical dimension.

Here's a good interview with Vaccaro and becoming a Saint on SXM:
https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/kenny-vaccaro-on-sxm-nfl-radio
I was the 30th person to give you a positive rep. Just wanted to say..........ok bye

Kind of sounded from the interview that he thought the Cowboys were going to pick him. The way it was said, I think he would have preferred the Cowboys, being a texas boy and all, but I have no doubt that the entire Who Dat Nation will make him realize soon that he couldn't have done any better than to be picked by the Saints.

Kind of sounded from the interview that he thought the Cowboys were going to pick him. The way it was said, I think he would have preferred the Cowboys, being a texas boy and all, but I have no doubt that the entire Who Dat Nation will make him realize soon that he couldn't have done any better than to be picked by the Saints.

I got the same feelilng.

He's still close to home

Pat Kirwin said on the radio that the word Vaccaro's coach used to describe his style of play was "relentless". He said that he was used in a lot of different defensive packages in many different schemes, more than most safeties can do. He said the Saints were lucky to have him. FWIW.

Not surprised at all. A Louisiana kid probably feels the same way about the Saints... ala Keenan Lewis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom