Notice: Changes coming, including some downtime. (Update: Change of Plans) (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All...

I have been spending the last few weeks developing an upgraded version of the software on a development site. I decided to keep the same look and feel (skins) that we have now to limit any confusion. Basically it will be much the same system but with many added features. These new features include member blogs where members can create and maintain their own blogs; a feature where members can create their own social groups, and other features intended both to make members' experiences more enjoyable and to build community. There is even an arcade where members can play games and compete for high scores, and a bit later I plan to add a poker room (for play money, of course). :)

Anyway, Eaux-Yeah, St.Will and I are trying to get this backend stuff done before training camp begins, so we will likely have to make the move and finish development afterward, so if you see something missing, that is likely going to be the reason.

Sometime during the coming week (TBA) we will have to take a few hours to make the move. We will be archiving the current site and board. We will then move the site that is in development here. This will likely mean having to shut down the site for several hours.

We will be starting fresh with a clean board. I realize that people will say that I could have simply upgraded this system, but the changes were many and a test upgrade did not pan out well. Not to mention that this database has become pretty unstable. Hence the decision to start clean.

The good news is that you probably won't have to re-register if St.Will has his way with transferring the member list, but you will have to log back in once the move happens. So, you may want to make sure that you still know your log in info.

I will update with an announcement as soon as the exact date and times are set for the move.

Your patience will be appreciated. It's all for the betterment of the community. We've been doing a lot of testing. There may be some issues or bugs in the new system, but we'll work through them. :)

UPDATE: CHANGE OF PLANS:

J.D. was able to fix a copy of this database. So instead of archiving the current site and importing the new one off the development site, J.D. is going to run that same fix on the live database tomorrow night, and then I will upgrade it and start adding in all of the new features. I will be adding and hacking these features in during the late night hours over a period of several nights until done, so the changes will be gradual. There will likely be some slow downs and downtime periods during that time.

There will be some features disappearing initially, but I will add most of them back in.

Just trying to limit the "What happened to" questions in advance.

So... though I will have to duplicate a lot of effort that went into developing the new board, it appears that we won't have to archive this one and start over after all. :9:

Andrus
Owner/Webmaster - SaintsReport.com

If St. Will could see it in his heart to "forget" to carry a few members over to the new forum I may feel the need to increase my monthly contribution. ;)

blogs? I figure if anyone wanted a blog they'd go to one of the numerous websites that specialize in that. Oh well, thanks for trying to increase the user experience.

blogs? I figure if anyone wanted a blog they'd go to one of the numerous websites that specialize in that. Oh well, thanks for trying to increase the user experience.

Blogs will be most appreciated by those of us who look to others on the forum to find out what and how to think. I was not in the loop when such vital information was being passed out via PM and I was forced to formulate my own opinions and wait until things actually happened to know for sure what was going on. Now our resident guru's will be able to collect their wisdom in a convenient place and the rest of us will be able to find it.

Besides, these things may turn out to be comedy gold and, hopefully, Andrus will have the rights to such material so that he can make a fortune off of it.

I look forward to be able to play poker and chat (in the dialogue box) with some members of the board. That would be excellent.

So, you're making Saintsreport better? When my wife divorces me I'm going to be sleeping on your couch Andrus.

Gotta say thanks in advance for the upgrades to the site, sounds like I will be spending more time on here than usual. Might even give me a reason to start blogging.

sounds cool. any chance of us getting to use bigger file sizes for avatars and sigs that are hosted offsite?

Last edited:
Poker.....I have a feeling that half the membership will be without their virtual clothing by the end of the week.

Let's not let the Recipe thread fall into the abyss this time. Uhhhh.....I mean that in the best of intentions. Just wanted to throw that tid bit out there.

A Super Bowl championship teams, needs a championship caliber site. After all we have the best owner in the NFL (Andrus that is)

:9:

The social groups should be good, I see a lot of the EE board goers having some fun with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom