Now under the cap 31m, what next? (1 Viewer)

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
After unloading Hill in the swap of draft assets with ATL, what do the Pels do with their 31m of cap space?

Do we add a FA or two? Do we look for a trade partner looking to unload quality for the sake of reducing salary? Fill in roster depth with short minimal deals to keep flexibility over the next few seasons while Z develops? Other?

What does Zion need surrounding him to learn to be an NBA Superstar in the next few years? That is what the Pels need to get butts in the seats and games televised nationally. Once he hits his stride and the Pels are playoff contenders it gets trickier but for now he needs players around him that can show him the ropes and feed him the ball.

What does Zion need surrounding him to learn to be an NBA Superstar in the next few years? That is what the Pels need to get butts in the seats and games televised nationally. Once he hits his stride and the Pels are playoff contenders it gets trickier but for now he needs players around him that can show him the ropes and feed him the ball.
I bailed on the league a long time ago, so I don’t have many answers, but I think you are thinking correctly. With 3 first rounders and the young talent they have brought in, they would benefit from veteran guidance. A vet or two to show them the ropes would make sense. I hope Griffin doesn’t fall in to the “win now” trap and takes his time with this rebuild. The NOLA franchise has been chasing the “win now” model out of a perceived necessity. Even so, I don’t think it has resulted in the interest I think they were trying to generate. Watching this young team develop might be more interesting. It’s one of the reasons I’m paying attention.

After unloading Hill in the swap of draft assets with ATL, what do the Pels do with their 31m of cap space?

Do we add a FA or two? Do we look for a trade partner looking to unload quality for the sake of reducing salary? Fill in roster depth with short minimal deals to keep flexibility over the next few seasons while Z develops? Other?
Free agents with veteran leadership and hopefully outside shooting. Perhaps a guy like Bogdonovic? With $30+ million in cap space, the Pels don't need to trade ****. I'm calling Niko Mirotic, too if I'm Griff but that's just me.

They need some veteran leadership. Lot of young rookies and players with only a few years of NBA experience. Need some savy vets to show them the ropes and what it takes to be successful in this league. Have to have patience. I believe the people in charge of this franchise are going about building a team the right way for a change. Got to focus on developing the young talent we have. Fans just have to be patient. The NBA is different than the NFL. You can't just turn it around overnight in the NBA. This will be a fun team to watch but we are going to be 2 or 3 years away from being a contender as long as the front office is patient and is committed to developing the young talent. Remember that Golden State was able to build a dynasty through the draft and then they started bringing in big time free agents.

I would like them to get Al Harford. He's supposed to opt out with the Celtics and would be a top tier starting center for us. He's respected veteran and would be a good mentor for Zion and Jaxson Hayes.

Free agents with veteran leadership and hopefully outside shooting. Perhaps a guy like Bogdonovic? With $30+ million in cap space, the Pels don't need to trade ****. I'm calling Niko Mirotic, too if I'm Griff but that's just me.

Like both players you mentioned. Also would target a center like Dewayne Dedmon or Brook Lopez in FA. Lopez being able to hit the long ball would pair nicely with Zion.

Really wish we would've worked out a deal to get Myles Turner here for #4, he would've fit perfectly with Zion, but I'm a fan of Hayes and his upside.

Nah. We need to secure a big man.

We can get a big too, but big guys that can space, shoot the 3, and run are rare... I want as many guys that can space, shoot 3s, and run as we can get....

Like others have said, Brook Lopez or bringing back Mirotic are not bad ideas... we'd still need a spacer that can run and hit 3s in transition.... I love JJs game.

In fact, we still need a guy that can play the 3/4... so I wouldn't mind spending the coin to steal Tobias Harris and JJ from Philly.

Last edited:

There are rumors on Twitter that Mirotic and Bogdonovic are at the top of the Pelicans list of desired free agents.

We can get a big too, but big guys that can space, shoot the 3, and run are rare... I want as many guys that can space, shoot 3s, and run as we can get....

Like others have said, Brook Lopez or bringing back Mirotic are not bad ideas... we'd still need a spacer that can run and hit 3s in transition.... I love JJs game.

In fact, we still need a guy that can play the 3/4... so I wouldn't mind spending the coin to steal Tobias Harris and JJ from Philly.

Mirotic does make a lot of sense to me. But it also seems like they need to add another SF to the roster. At this point all you really have is Ingram. I guess they could play small ball with three guards, but it seems like they need another SF, preferably one that can really shoot from 3 point range.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom