NS - Clowns moving Beasley to SLB (1 Viewer)

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Very odd move. Sounds pretty bone-headed to me.

NFL | Vic Beasley moving to strong-side linebacker - Rotoworld.com

Falcons sophomore Vic Beasley is expected to move to strong-side linebacker.

The No. 8 overall pick last year, Beasley played defensive end as a rookie.

It is a puzzling move for the Falcons, who will likely employ Beasley in a similar role to the one coach Dan Quinn used Bruce Irvin in Seattle. That means Beasley will still rush the passer on most snaps, but he will spend more time dropping into coverage.

For a team desperate for a pass rush, taking your best rusher out of the equation for even 100 snaps does not seem like a sound plan, but the Falcons are as weak at linebacker as they are at defensive end.

With Beasley on the strong side, newly-signed LB Courtney Upshaw could compete for the middle linebacker job.

So they're doing the opposite of what it looks like we're doing with Kikaha? I like our move better.

That's exactly my 1st thought. Beasley will be used how Rob Ryan used Kikaha. To be fair though I can see why Quinn wants to use him like Bruce Irvin, Like Irvin he's an elite athlete.

I actually think it's a smart move for them, he is better suited for it than kikaha, and kikaha is better suited as an end. They both switched roles and I think both Beasley and Kikaha will benefit from it.

I think that shuffling players in their 2nd year is a bad thing. Rookie season has an enormous learning curve and players are suppose to be coming into their own their 2nd season...but instead players are essentially starting over. I have big concerns about Anthony and Beasley. I think that both players weren't very impressive at their primary positions...and now moving to less natural positions for them. I have less concerns for Kikaha because he is a natural pass rusher...but if you told me at the time that we drafted Anthony in the 1st round that he would be switching to SOLB after his first season...I would be concerned.

Didn't worked out with first round pick Björn Werner for the Colts.... will not work out with Beasley for the Falcons.

2 completely different types of players. That's like comparing Cam Jordan and Bruce Irvin.

Beasley is being moved for the same reason we moved Kikaha from SAM LB. The Falcons figured out he wasn't what they thought they were getting.

Beasely being moved is comparable to what the Seahawks did with Bruce Irvin his 2nd year after they figured out he wouldn't be able to play the Leo Role. So they moved him to Sam LB.

The Leo and Sam LB in an under front are your 2 primary passrushers. So its not that big of a change for him and they can use his athleticism in space a bit more but it is a minor admittance that he's not going to be a primary DE rusher. He just wasn't productive last year despite being given every opportunity to put up big #'s. He should have had far more sacks based on the # of attempts he got.

On a side note........This does give them an advantage against our Oline should we have Strief at RT again. Beaseley and his get off and ability to dip under a T's pads are going to cause problems for Old Man Strief if Peat doesn't win the starting Job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom