(NS) Economists find that an upset home football loss leads to more crime (1 Viewer)

Broad St. Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Data set is college football games.

"...we find that college football games are associated with sharp increases in crime. For instance, assaults increase by about 9% when a community hosts a college football game, vandalism increases by about 18%, and DUIs increase by about 13%. We also find evidence that upsets result in larger increases in crime than games that do not produce an upset. For instance, an upset loss at home is associated with a 112% increase in assaults and a 61% increase in vandalism. We discuss these results in the context of psychological theories of fan aggression."

link to paper:
http://econ.cudenver.edu/home/working_papers.htm

I don't know about the vandalism and assaults, but I know that after the Cowboys lost, I saw more bleach-blonde Dallas women driving their SUV's even more recklessly earlier this week. Oh, there was the usual yapping on the phone with a latte in one hand, but I swear they were tailgating closer than normal. Must've been because they were so upset from biting their nails and in desperate need of a manicure.

Have you ever been to a Saints game when we just finished giving a game away? I am surprised half the people make it out of there alive.

NOPD have said that criminal activity does decrease during Saints games... which says a lot about Saints fans, LOL!

However, this story reminds me of that "research" that argued that women were more likely to be abused during the Super Bowl (particuarly when your team lost) than any other day.

They even made a commerical showing some guy in jail, as a warning to abusers.

The research was completely bogus.

If this is true with pro football the two toothed Packer Backers will probably burn the damn town down after the Giants win this weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom